Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Steel Nationals? *Poll Added*

What would be your thoughts on a USPSA Steel Nationals? I think it would be a very cool, but I wanted to get some input from you guys/ladies. From the scuttlebutt I heard, it would be much like a Drazy Steel match, but officially sanctioned as the USPSA Steel Nats. For those that have never shot one of these, you have regular USPSA stages, but only steel targets. There's also talk of having a side, or back to back Steel challenge match within the match matrix.

Fire away guys...

JT

Edited by JThompson

As long as my new 6 inch sight tracker in 9mm was legal in Limited I'd be in favor of it. It sounds pretty cool.

I don't know Roger, if they run it like a USPSA match then you would only be able to shoot it in the Steel Challenge portion. :(

JT

I thought the USPSA steel nationals was the Steel Challenge... :huh: You're talking about steel-only stages, as in field courses? Sounds like a lot of fun to shoot but why a national match? Would a big paper target only match also warrant the national championship title?

Dunno about this one, JT...

I would vote but a few more details would be nice. Field courses? Hit factor scoring? Or are you talking just Steel challenge stages?

If it were truly USPSA & not steel challenge, I would be interested. Nothing wrong with steel challenge but I would prefer real uspsa.

MLM

I like the idea, but I could see a calibration nightmare possibly arising.

I understand that the difference between the Steel Challenge and this match would be the falling targets. This would lead to the shooters having to use stronger loads to cause the consistent knockdown of steel. This is not a factor in steel challenge.

A comment from a competitor at area 1 this year went like this:

"Now I know why you never see an all steel stage at big matches"

We had a 22 round all steel stage, steel in all directions, such that no

matter which way the wind blew, steel would fall over. Calibration

nightmare.

You mean an USPSA match...through and through...only with Steel targets, no paper?

I like the concept just fine. I don't see it as a "nationals".

Yes USPSA rules, all of them and no paper.

"Nationals"

I not married to the name, I needed to call it something.

Edited by JThompson

Having shot the Drazy last year, I would be overjoyed just to have it again this year. Maybe some other clubs would be willing to put on the same type. As far as a Nationals type match, I'd go, but how about a few more Drazy's or Big Dawg's, PSA, or Bang and Clang Steel matchs to fill out the year.

Edited by Bruce Warren

We need to get Roger to run an all steel monthly match to see how it goes.

You know, as soon as I read up on the Drazy match, I started counting how much steel the club has. I'd be glad to set it up, if the other local clubs will lend us the extra steel needed.

We need to get Roger to run an all steel monthly match to see how it goes.

You know, as soon as I read up on the Drazy match, I started counting how much steel the club has. I'd be glad to set it up, if the other local clubs will lend us the extra steel needed.

You do it in a couple of months and I'll come down and shoot it......