Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I GIVE UP! Case pro here I come

Ray_Z

I guess I read too much. Everybody that wrote about the EGW U die says that it's all you need to resize the base on glocked brass. Sooo I sprung the bucks for one in 9mm. I did what I read on the site and didn't even check the brass after sizing. Just loaded away on over 2000 rounds of 9x19. Really stupid huh? Just like I thought would happen, you can see the web in the base of the brass from the outside after sizing. You know, the part that is supposed to be sized back from the part of the case that is in the unsupported part of the chamber on firing. I should have remembered what my dear departed dad said. "Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear (read). You don't have to say it, I loaded it, it was my responsibility. Not somebody else.

Now I've got to spring the bucks for the only thing that seems to work on glocked brass, a case pro. Any idea of the turnaround time on order? Is it possible to size loaded ammo. I haven't started to check the stuff I loaded yet, but I figure I've got a gaggle of it to pull.

BOY AM I STUPID!!!

Edited by Ray_Z

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray.. I am in the same boat. Tried the Lee U die and did not like it at all... I am sure the next post will tell you it was not adjusted far enough down and THAT is the problem... But.,, A Case pro will do the job with no coke bottle and no off center bullets and weird shapes to your loaded ammo.

Actually... IF you can wait about 30 days - Before you spend the bucks on a Case Pro there is a new (totally different) powered machine coming out Very soon that (for Non Rimmed) pistol brass does the job much faster and with 100% effectiveness...

Actually... IF you can wait about 30 days - Before you spend the bucks on a Case Pro there is a new (totally different) powered machine coming out Very soon that (for Non Rimmed) pistol brass does the job much faster and with 100% effectiveness...

I notice you didn't say cheaper.

Yeah, I have heard that rumor too ^^^.

The other rumor I heard was that it wasn't going to take uber expensive and caliber specific plates. It would come with just one plate that was universal for all the calibers.

Unless of course we are talking about two different machines/prototypes that are in the works.

I also think I read somewhere here on the forum that, yes, in fact, EGW did let some bad dies slip through.

If any of what you reloaded was A-MERC brass, I think you would still be screwed... even if it was Case-Pro'ed.

I never said that I didn't case gauge any of my ammo after going the U die + the Lee FCD route....

I just said that I didn't case gauge all of my ammo after going with that set up.

At the start of a reloading session, I will put the first 10 rounds through the digital caliper, through a case gauge and very carefully hand cycle them through the gun.

And as I have recently discovered with some 200 grain Berry's plated SWC's in .45.... just because it still passes the case gauge, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will run in your gun. I think I had them seated out too long. Thank goodness I am about done with them. Uggghhh!!

And for whatever it is worth... if I was still having feeding issues or jamming issues after doing the U die + FCD thing, I would have to weigh the costs between getting that barrel's chamber reamed out versus the case pro... or whatever new roll sizer gadget that is coming down the pike.

Yeah, I have heard that rumor too ^^^.

The other rumor I heard was that it wasn't going to take uber expensive and caliber specific plates. It would come with just one plate that was universal for all the calibers.

Unless of course we are talking about two different machines/prototypes that are in the works.

This is a NEW rumor because I just started this one. A new machine not based on the roll out principle.

And it will be cheaper than the Case Pro and air powered. BUT - Air supply is not figured into the cost...

A-ha... okay...

Over at the Sig forum there was a poster there with the name Pistol-Whipped. He had posted once that he was working on an alternative to the case pro. Still a roll sizer, but that it would take some kinda universal plates instead.

At the time he mentioned it, I told him that he better plan on people trying to rig a casefeeder from a 650 or a 1050 to it.

He kinda blew me off... thinking that having it casefeeder friendly wasn't all that important.

I don't know how his project is coming along.

I just did a members search here and sure enough, there is some guy with the screenname "pistol-whipped" .

The pistol-whipped guy was some sort of machinist guy whose biggest claim to fame so far was this ball mounted swiveling vise. I forgot what he called it, but he was only having marginal success with his business and at least once posted about throwing in the towel entirely on it.

anywhooo... send this pistol-whipped guy a PM...see if it's him and if it is him pester him about this new roll sizer he is/was working on.

Edited by Chills1994

I guess I read too much. Everybody that wrote about the EGW U die says that it's all you need to resize the base on glocked brass. Sooo I sprung the bucks for one in 9mm. I did what I read on the site and didn't even check the brass after sizing. Just loaded away on over 2000 rounds of 9x19. Really stupid huh? Just like I thought would happen, you can see the web in the base of the brass from the outside after sizing. You know, the part that is supposed to be sized back from the part of the case that is in the unsupported part of the chamber on firing. I should have remembered what my dear departed dad said. "Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear (read). You don't have to say it, I loaded it, it was my responsibility. Not somebody else.

Now I've got to spring the bucks for the only thing that seems to work on glocked brass, a case pro. Any idea of the turnaround time on order? Is it possible to size loaded ammo. I haven't started to check the stuff I loaded yet, but I figure I've got a gaggle of it to pull.

BOY AM I STUPID!!!

Wait, you loaded up a bunch of ammo, haven't found out whether it works reliably or not and you've already decided the U-die didn't work?

I'd mic a couple of cases resized with the U-die and a couple resized with a normal die before passing initial judgement, but the final judge is the gun.

The U-die will leave a mark (at least sometimes) on the parts that it does resize and unless you turn down the shell holder no die can get all the way to the extractor groove, but it'll normally get far enough down that the ammo will chamber check/case gauge and feed fine. Lastly, the part of the case that bulges, is supported...if it wasn't it would fail. R,

Edit to add: I coudl use another U-die if you want to sell yours cheap:-)

Edited by G-ManBart

The new machine I am refering to is a based on a concept by a guy named Merlin Orr with CAD drawings by Edar Sibaja with some input from Benny and Larry. I am sure in my mind that Merlin is not the pistol..or any other kind of whipped fellow you refer too..... :closedeyes:

There is a (very nice) working prototype right now.

And for whatever it is worth... if I was still having feeding issues or jamming issues after doing the U die + FCD thing, I would have to weigh the costs between getting that barrel's chamber reamed out versus the case pro... or whatever new roll sizer gadget that is coming down the pike.

I have an M&P Pro and a xd tactical. Both of them locked up tighter than............well, let's just say the case is in for good without breaking the gun down and driving the round back out of the barrel.

It ain't the gun and it ain't the chamber. The last thing I need is to have to fight with bad ammo when I go to a match. My edge runs flawlessly and the only time my para 45 gives me a problem is when I shoot more than 500 rounds of cast bullets through it without cleaning it.

Hello: I was using a EGW "U" die for 9mm for a little while. I then went back to the Dillon resize die and have had no problems with over 20,000 rounds loaded for a Glock, CZ, Mech Tech and now a Open 9mm. Could your bullets be a little too large in diameter or loaded too long? Thanks, Eric

could you be reloading the ammo so long that it is engaging the rifling and thereby locking up the gun?

Sometimes I have seen guys try to tap, rack and BANG! their way out of something like that, and usually the case comes flying out spraying powder everywhere, and the bullet is stuck in the rifling. :o

Or am I mistaken .... are the rounds actually feeding, and the gun is going completely into battery, and then firing, only to have the empty and fired case still stuck in the chamber?

Hey Ray, my pro will easily take everything I load from my Dillon dies UNLESS as I posted before they are too long. I thought my brass was bulged but I was way to long as it turned out. I hope you get it all worked out.

Hey Ray, my pro will easily take everything I load from my Dillon dies UNLESS as I posted before they are too long. I thought my brass was bulged but I was way to long as it turned out. I hope you get it all worked out.

I'm loading a MG 124gr jhp with 4.0gr WSL (got 3 #s left over from olden times) at 1.1. I load all my pistol cartridges with Dillon dies.

Ray Z, you are not the only one getting "belted" cases from using a U die. I found that with well used brass I'll get a small belt around the web causing the case to fail the case gauge. I quit using mine and went back to the Dillon die. I ground a little off the bottom of the Dillon die to allow more sizing and it helped.

Well, this may be the most clueless post yet, but I thought that the coke bottle look was normal, even using new brass.

I was under the impression that a 9mm case is tapered and that when you insert a bullet, it causes the top part of the case to bulge out. After a bit of the taper crimp is restored with a crimp die, it gives the finished case the so called "coke bottle" appearance.

My 9mm cases pretty much all have that look and the bulk of them were from brass shot from a Glock and they all fit very nice in a Wilson gage.

If you don't have one, get a Wilson Max Gage or similar and check your rounds. If they work with it then, appearance aside, they are in spec.

Edited by Graham Smith

Just like I thought would happen, you can see the web in the base of the brass from the outside after sizing. You know, the part that is supposed to be sized back from the part of the case that is in the unsupported part of the chamber on firing.

Ray, seriously, you lost me here. I can assure you that thousands shooters have loaded millions of rounds with U dies with excellent results. Something, somewhere is out of whack. All the U die does is size brass .001 of an inch smaller. If the loaded rounds are neither chambering or gauging, an out of spec die is possible. I just have a feeling that we are missing something. Have you contacted George Smith at EGW?

Jim

I have yet to use an undersize die and I load brass out of glocks and even machine guns without problems. Pony up the cash for a case gauge and you be one step closer. Find a buddy with an smg and you can at least have fun with the 2000 rounds.

I have yet to use an undersize die and I load brass out of glocks and even machine guns without problems. Pony up the cash for a case gauge and you be one step closer. Find a buddy with an smg and you can at least have fun with the 2000 rounds.

I've gotten brass from the leo ranges that was picked up after the mp5's were put away. No problem with Dillon dies.