Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

good wrist exercies to prevent RSI?

atek3

My wrists have given me some problems. I rearranged my work space, started taking breaks more often, and the problem has gone away mostly, but I was wondering what exercises your PT's have recommended to build wrist strength and prevent it from happening again?

Thanks,

atek3

whenever my wrists start givingme little aches and pains, I start doing wrist curls with 20-30# weights, after about a week of once a day curls it stops. 15reps / 3 sets

Trapr

Curls only or curls and reverse curls (turning the wrist upside down and 'lifting')

I have a chronic sprain in both wrists. Anything like curls tears them up. I'm ok as long as I keep the wrist locked. I quit trying to lift weights to strengthen them and started using a grip strengthener. It has made a big difference.

Everlast hand and finger strengthener

I also wear one of these on both wrists. Some may think it's voodoo, but it works... endorsed by Arnold Palmer too.

http://acemagnetics.com/copper-bracelet.html

And when they do start aching which is far less frequently than before, I use a pain creme like Bengay. My personal favorite is a brand called Arthritis Heat. In fact, I rub that into both shoulders and wrists in the morning before every match whether they're hurting or not.

Edited by Steve J

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been taking a supplement called Cissus.

Taken from Wikipedia:

"Cissus is known to be an ancient medical plant, with optimal healing in white tissue areas of the body ( tendons, ligaments, etc).[3]

Sport supplement manufactures recently purified an extract of the plant to help increase the delivery of nutrients to soft tissue. It also helps heal fractures by increases in new bone growth, and has been shown to relieve arthritis and osteoarthritis when used topically as a balm.[3]"

I had some serious tendon issues from Jiu Jitsu and rotator cuff problems. After taking Cissus for about a month, I feel much better. There's a whole lot less grinding and popping going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been taking a supplement called Cissus.

Taken from Wikipedia:

"Cissus is known to be an ancient medical plant, with optimal healing in white tissue areas of the body ( tendons, ligaments, etc).[3]

Sport supplement manufactures recently purified an extract of the plant to help increase the delivery of nutrients to soft tissue. It also helps heal fractures by increases in new bone growth, and has been shown to relieve arthritis and osteoarthritis when used topically as a balm.[3]"

I had some serious tendon issues from Jiu Jitsu and rotator cuff problems. After taking Cissus for about a month, I feel much better. There's a whole lot less grinding and popping going on.

I have read about this stuff before. Did you have any side effects from it, or any other negatives that would shy someone away from taking it. I have a list of sports injuries a mile long and would like to give it a try, but I am always skeptical about trying products like this.

My wrists have given me some problems. I rearranged my work space, started taking breaks more often, and the problem has gone away mostly, but I was wondering what exercises your PT's have recommended to build wrist strength and prevent it from happening again?

Thanks,

atek3

I've have wrist and thumb problems, i found a gadget if you use it 3 times a week or more it will make a hugh difference in hand,wrist,forearm and finger strength. I purchased it as recommended by a PT. in December and it has made my wrist, forearm feel like I can crush walnuts. You can do a little research and I'm sure you will find a enough information, I purchased my on the net from UK somewhere for about $115 US second day air. It's called PowerBall Gyroscope 350hz Silver Metal. The PT had the plastic one, the metal is the only way to go don't make that mistake I did sent plastic one back. I've had it up to 7,800 RPM it's like lifting 30lbs and even your forearms will burn in less than a minute.

post-16211-127100589681_thumb.jpeg

Edited by T.McDevitt

Can you elaborate on why the metal PB is better? I have had the plastic one for about 1 year and it works great. Thanks.

It's much heavier, smoother it runs faster 350Hz unless they changed the plastic one don't think it makes major power factor and it feels like plastic, you like plastic ??

Plastic is good. I like Glocks. I was just wondering if an upgrade was in order and to see what justified the $95 price difference between the plastic and metal versions.

I just purchased one on for a friend who tried mine, and says he is computer illiterate only because he new I would order it for him, it was 88.90. You really got a great price on the plastic one. they seem to be about $45.00 more for the 350Hz Metal but the metals weight is almost double the Plastic is 278gm .. Metal 870gm, the Metal is also silent.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had issues over the years with my right forearm/wrist. I workout in the morning, type at work all day, then go home and try to dry fire. Inevitably my forearm muscles get very tense, and this results in wrist pain (I believe this is called a trigger point). Doctors didn't help me (at all). Weight lifting just increases the tension and makes it worse. I still haven't conquered this, but stretching my wrists a few times a day and working out the extensor muscle seems to help a lot. To work the extensors I use this: http://ironmind-store.com/Expand-Your-Hand-Bands153/productinfo/1376/

I plan to try a PowerBall in the future.

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but for soft tissue, tendon issues etc. I don't think that you can find a better treatment than Active Release.

Check it out.

http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearc...ch%2C+FL%2C+USA

Funny to see this while poking around here looking for ideas for tomorrow's drills...

I'm a DC certified in Active Release; it and other forms of myofascial release are a big part of my practice and a key part in treatment of RSI and cumulative trauma issues.

Someone mentioned trigger points, and they are a compatible/parallel explanation for similar syndromes.

Something generally overlooked in treatment (and coping) is that these issues are ongoing. They are the result of a pattern of injury, partial recovery, and the re-injury before sufficient healing takes place for a normal progression toward full or improved function (increased strength, etc).

All too often an off-the-shelf exercise protocol is prescribed and the result is like treating gastric problems with a burrito.

Getting performance athletes to recuperate or change their routine is difficult, but in RSI something has to change. Decreased frequency, intensity, improved nutrition, avoiding NSAIDs that are retarding healing, etc. Usually there is not just one thing out of whack, but there is almost always one key factor that far outweighs the others (above and beyond the aggravating activity).

If I had to give quick advice to the average RSI patient over the internet it would be:

Lighten up -at least vary your routine the way any other athlete does

Take time to recover after physical training

Avoid masking pain with drugs ~pain is your body telling you to "back off or it will get worse"

Antiinflammatory drugs delay healing, avoid them too

Stretch instead of trying a new exercise

Supplement with plenty of water, 1-2000mg Vit C, B complex, and 3-6000mg 'fish oil' omega 3's every day.

( None of this is specific medical advice, I'm a Dr but I'm not your Dr )

This went longer than intended ~got to put the baby to bed and still haven't decided on drills for tomorrow night's class...

Take care.

Edited by cmw

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but for soft tissue, tendon issues etc. I don't think that you can find a better treatment than Active Release.

Check it out.

http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearc...ch%2C+FL%2C+USA

Funny to see this while poking around here looking for ideas for tomorrow's drills...

I'm a DC certified in Active Release; it and other forms of myofascial release are a big part of my practice and a key part in treatment of RSI and cumulative trauma issues.

Someone mentioned trigger points, and they are a compatible/parallel explanation for similar syndromes.

Something generally overlooked in treatment (and coping) is that these issues are ongoing. They are the result of a pattern of injury, partial recovery, and the re-injury before sufficient healing takes place for a normal progression toward full or improved function (increased strength, etc).

All too often an off-the-shelf exercise protocol is prescribed and the result is like treating gastric problems with a burrito.

Getting performance athletes to recuperate or change their routine is difficult, but in RSI something has to change. Decreased frequency, intensity, improved nutrition, avoiding NSAIDs that are retarding healing, etc. Usually there is not just one thing out of whack, but there is almost always one key factor that far outweighs the others (above and beyond the aggravating activity).

If I had to give quick advice to the average RSI patient over the internet it would be:

Lighten up -at least vary your routine the way any other athlete does

Take time to recover after physical training

Avoid masking pain with drugs ~pain is your body telling you to "back off or it will get worse"

Antiinflammatory drugs delay healing, avoid them too

Stretch instead of trying a new exercise

Supplement with plenty of water, 1-2000mg Vit C, B complex, and 3-6000mg 'fish oil' omega 3's every day.

( None of this is specific medical advice, I'm a Dr but I'm not your Dr )

This went longer than intended ~got to put the baby to bed and still haven't decided on drills for tomorrow night's class...

Take care.

Awesome first post! Very informative and helpful. Can you elaborate on how antiinflammatory drugs delay healing and also on how to "vary your routine the way any other athlete does"? Not sure if you meant to vary the shooting or cross-train into other sports. Thanks!

Good stuff.

Here's the low down. Ibuprofen is an NSAID (Non-Steroidal-Anti-Inflammatory-Drug) which is believed to work through the inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX), thus inhibiting prostaglandin synthesis. Prostaglandins, are like hormones in that they act as chemical messengers, but do not move to other sites. They work right within the cells where they are synthesized. Prostaglandins are vital mediators of the inflammatory response. The swelling and subsequent prostaglandin production signals all of the important cells circulating in your body to come and fix/reinforce the challenged tissues. It's this very inflammatory response that is responsible for making you better athlete.

NSAIDs have been shown to delay and hamper the healing in all the soft tissues, including muscles, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage. Anti-inflammatories can delay healing and delay it significantly, even in muscles with their tremendous blood supply.

As an aside, I would also avoid training the wrist (or any body part for that matter) with any type of isolation exercise. Those muscles are very small and it is incredibly easy to overdo it. And unless you are a professional arm wrestler, there are more productive things to do.

Control swelling and pain with ice.