Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with my boy

IC_Cyclone

I started USPSA in June with the hope it would eventually be something my boys (14 and 11yrs) and I could do together. Wanting to get my feet wet first, I wasn't in a real hurry to get them to a match, but we practiced at our local range.

Well Saturday night my oldest asked if he could come along to Sunday's match. The RO's were fantastic...he walked the stages, didn't worry about his time, and was safe. He got some compliments on his safety/gunhandling from other shooters which was great reinforcement. He appears to be hooked. I liked the drive there and back...I don't get much one on one talk time with my kids these days.

And with him shooting next year, the business case for a Dillon 650 is a slam dunk.

That is awsome.. I'm preparing my son(7yrs) to get him on his first match, the deal is if there are no kids to play at the range

he will shoot with me. if there are kids there the the bets are off. He had shot a stage or two with a .22 at the practice range

and I'm reinforcing safety and proper techniques even wih his PLASTIC GUN TOYS. I try not to have him DRAW from a holster yet and also to start with an UNLOADED gun on any stage.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

bE CAREFULL. I STARTED SHOOTING MATCHES WITH MY SON WHEN HE WAS 10. HE IS NOW 15.

IT BREAKS MY HEART WHEN HE CANT SHOOT DUE TO SCHOOL ACTIVITYS OR BECAUSE MAMA GROUNDED HIM.

I WOULD NEVER DO THAT ON MATCH DAY.

HAVE FUN

I have had my boy (7) shoot a couple of matches this year with a .22. It was great, the ROs were very understanding & we let him shoot some stuff a little different if he couldnt see through a port or something. Sometimes he isnt interested but other times he is, I let him shoot the star @ home whenever he wants I make the time.

Steve, nice to shoot with you again and to meet your son.

He done good~! You are welcome to use any of my Dillons until you get your stuff. If you need anything to borrow or use for him just ask! Nice to bring some more shooters into the fold!

DougC

IT BREAKS MY HEART WHEN HE CANT SHOOT DUE TO SCHOOL ACTIVITYS OR BECAUSE MAMA GROUNDED HIM.

*I* almost grounded my 11 year and didn't let him shoot last night. When he got home yesterday he started playing video games instead of doing his homework first. When he realized we had a match, he sloppily did his homework. Before I would take him, I asked to see his homework. I told him it was unacceptable and it took him 3 times before it was good enough and I took him to the match. We almost missed it. Hopefully he will remember that and do his work first in the future.

Shooting (and riding motorcycles) are the best leverage I have with the kids and I make sure they earn both before going.

*I* almost grounded my 11 year and didn't let him shoot last night. When he got home yesterday he started playing video games instead of doing his homework first. When he realized we had a match, he sloppily did his homework. Before I would take him, I asked to see his homework. I told him it was unacceptable and it took him 3 times before it was good enough and I took him to the match. We almost missed it. Hopefully he will remember that and do his work first in the future.

Shooting (and riding motorcycles) are the best leverage I have with the kids and I make sure they earn both before going.

My son was grounded for poor grades. I made him go to the match past targets set steel and load mags. better than waterboarding

Actually one of the first matches I shot was the Big Dawgs Steel. Being on the squad with you, your dad and brother (I was the guy whose draw took longer than the rest of you took to clear the rack) showed me a great example that this is a fantastic father-son sport. Hope my kids get to meet you guys at a match sometime.

Edited by IC_Cyclone

Actually one of the first matches I shot was the Big Dawgs Steel. Being on the squad with you, your dad and brother (I was the guy whose draw took longer than the rest of you took to clear the rack) showed me a great example that this is a fantastic father-son sport. Hope my kids get to meet you guys at a match sometime.

We'll be at the Big Dawg next year for sure. Great match...

I dig running juniors when they're new. The parents almost always understand the situation let me do my thing.

I understand the dynamic that a parent can tell them something and it goes in one ear and our the other, but when an objective 3rd-party offers advice, it's taken to heart. The parents I've encountered take this in stride and welcome the input.

I understand the dynamic that a parent can tell them something and it goes in one ear and our the other, but when an objective 3rd-party offers advice, it's taken to heart. The parents I've encountered take this in stride and welcome the input.

You hit a Double Alpha in that post. I don't even say much any more. However part of that is also due the fact that he ought be giving me advice now :cheers: