Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scratched Die?

Loading 9mm on a 550 with Dillon Dies. Out of the blue (hey, a pun)I start getting perfect score marks down the length of my brass. I found a small blemish on the sizer ring which might be a scratch? Or maybe a crack?

I thought I had a brass shaving caught and tried picking at it and it seemed to go away but as soon as I started loading tonight it went back to scoring the brass.

I called Dillon and they want me to mail it to them with some brass samples. Before I go to the trouble anyone have any other ideas?

You have a die that is scratching brass, you have a manufacturer that warranties multiple 100 dollar machines that wants to look at the problem, so where is the trouble except trying to fix the problem yourself.

I know what I have and I know how good Dillon is. What I thought was maybe somebody would say, "mine did that and I thought it was scratched or cracked but it was not and I did X and it fixed it. The trouble I am referring to is doing without my press for at least two weeks when I could get it up and running on my own.

Thanks.

Kevin PM me your address, and I will send you 1 of my Dillon 9mm Dies to use until you get yours back. I'm currently loading 38 Super, so I dont need it right now. ;)

PM sent, and thanks.

Kevin PM me your address, and I will send you 1 of my Dillon 9mm Dies to use until you get yours back. I'm currently loading 38 Super, so I dont need it right now. ;)

Nice!

I was just going to offer to have Dillon send him one on my dime, temporarily until they get his return. Then Gary at Dillon would just credit me for it.

be

Nice!

I was just going to offer to have Dillon send him one on my dime, temporarily until they get his return. Then Gary at Dillon would just credit me for it.

be

Here's to you both! :cheers:

Edited by sandman

i had the same thing happen but it scratched the whole brass.

Before that i was loading plated brass and then it happened. After awhile it dissapeared.

I think it was just the plate of the plated brass that came off and imbedded itself on the insides of the die. After awhile it eventually got scraped off or something and the problem dissapeared.

Kudos to the great members and our great host for offering assistance to a fellow shooter.

I love this community :)

Kevin I dropped the 9mm die in the mail today. I hope you get it by tomorrow, possibly Monday at the latest, so you can get back to loading ammo.

Have a great weekend! :)

I will, thanks to you. The die was in the mailbox today. I'll be loading tomorrow. I owe you one dude.

I hope every shooter here knows another shooter like Chris. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...