Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Steel Guide Rods Legal In SSP?

Duane Thomas

In the early 90's I owned two different Glock 19 pistols. Both came with steel non-captured guide rods. Steel or plastic, what does it matter so long as the gun makes weight anyway? Just my two cents....

They didn't come from the factory with them fancy steel uncaptured guide rods.

Edited by Steve Koski

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the early 90's I owned two different Glock 19 pistols. Both came with steel non-captured guide rods. Steel or plastic, what does it matter so long as the gun makes weight anyway? Just my two cents....

For STOCK service pistol it oughta be how that model came from the factory. If that model has anything factory that should make it illegal under the rules it should be upheld to be illegal. That way we don't have blacksheep and then we wouldn't have to worry about extended slide releases on all glocks being called a stock item. If there is any doubt as to the weapon's "stockness" welcome to ESP.

As to your making weight I agree. If you are to ENHANCE the gun enhance it right up to the weight limit. If I have a plastic fantastic and I want to beef it up should be alright. A gun that weighs under 43oz is under 43oz. Moving weight around is an enhancement.

STOCK should mean don't fool with it. No monkey business, under the hood shenanigans, or tomfoolery. Finagling would also violate STOCK. Sights, trigger, mags, grips, springs, and parts all factory spec.

My .02, but who cares?

• 1 year later...

I just read 3 pages of this from 2009 saying, "wait till the 22RTF or RFD or whatever comes out and then we'll know!"

Well, did it come out?? Or did Glock ever remember if they installed a steel rod?

Some threads need updates for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd like to know the answer to this one as well...

EDIT: Answered my own question per new rule book:

8.2.1.3. SSP Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):

8.2.1.3.4. Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier
than stainless steel.
So steel guide rod is GTG.
Edited by rr4406pak

8.2.1.3. SSP Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):

8.2.1.3.4. Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier
than stainless steel.
So steel guide rod is GTG.

You just can't put an aftermarket steel guide rod (with adapter) and spring into a Gen4 glock (which was originally a dual-spring recoil system), correct? Because that changes the type of recoil assembly, which is illegal according to:

SSP Excluded Modifications

8.2.1.4.5. Slide inserts to accommodate a different recoil assembly design.

...or did they mean something else by that? Basically, can you put a captured-spring guide rod (with the front adapter so it works in Gen 4 Glocks) with an ISMI spring into a Gen 4 Glock and have it be legal in SSP? It isn't a change to the slide, it is an adapter on the guide rod.