Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xd?

AFDavis11

Yes.

9mm is scored as Minor.

As of now, I think the XD is still considered legal for Production (USPSA). That might be the best place to play with 9mm. Everybody in Production is scored Minor, no matter what caliber they shoot.

If we wanted to get picky, I think it is legal in Production, Limited 10, Limited, and Open. Of course...it isn't really syuited for some of those Divisions.

I was planning on shooting it in Production but I think that is out now. So before I spent all the money to get the extra gear I wanted to make sure it qualified. I was under the impression that Lim-10 needed to be a single action type trigger. I think I got that from all the competitors using that style because it is the best choice, competively speaking. I've never seen a Glock user in Lim-10 (that I noticed), most seem to go with Production. I've never paid enough attention I guess.

Thanx, yes I am under the impression that it is NOT allowed in Production. But the more I think about it I don't want to compete in Production anyway. I'm ok with minor. I'm out there for the challenge and will get a .40 later if I want to move up.

Singerjg - someone is bound to say it sooner or later, so..... It's a division not a class :P

AFDavis11 - No need to explain. Sometimes it just plain fun. The last match I shot was with a Beretta Vertec .40 in L-10... with two full blown STI .40s sitting home in the safe.

Thanx Buckey, now all I have to do is explain to everyone why I like shooting the XD. :-)

Sadly, you might have to defend your equipment some. Many think "their brand" of equipment is best...especially after they fork over the dollar$ to pay for it.

Just quietly go out and practice and improve. If you later decide you want to spend some cash on other equipment, then you will be in a better position to know what you might want to buy.

An important note:

Shooting Minor is tough. Charlie hits hurt...big time. If you are going to shoot Minor, shoot for all Alphas whenever possible.

No worries though. Shoot what you have and have fun doing it!!! B)

AFDavis 11,

Beside scoring minor, L-10 or Ltd will allow race holster & mag holder placement just about anywhere :D Production requires non-race holsters and specifies their placement.

So look at your holster and then decide which division fits.

Yes, Production class is out. Mainly because the holster position seems too unsafe to me. It seems too difficult to draw from a holster behind the 3-9 line on my belt and NOT point it behind me, breaking the 180. I'm usually pretty ignorant on these subjects until I study them but I won't do something I consider dumb and hazardous. I'm looking for the maximum number of participants to compete against. Lim or Lim 10 seem to be the right area. Comments? And I think minor will benefit my shooting more than anything else. I think the real point of this sport is putting rounds into the A ring, regardless of speed. Consider how silly it would look in an actual gunfight to run through it as fast as possible regardless of hits??????? Well sorry thats why I am competing. I want to stay true to the concept. To me running through a stage with C hits is just silly. OK so you win the competition...congrats. Also I have had so much trouble with reloading that I will probably just buy the ammo outright :-( So 9mm will be cheaper. The XD is the most reliable/accurate automatic I have ever shot. So I think I will be able to focus on the actual stage, which I think will really help me improve the most. I just hope the rules remain static until the Spring when I can start back up again. :-)

Ofcourse if I get too frustrated with the scoring I'll put my Kimber back on. :-) But I think the point is to keep the sport pure. Anybody want this soapbox, I'm done with it. :-)

The other reasons are VERY good ones, but the holster position being unsafe isn't.

You'd have to break your wrist or twist your shoulder in a very weird way--and intentionally--to get the gun to point backwards on the draw from the forward most position allowed in Production division. You want the gun to come forward, it points forward.

The only way I can see it being an issue is if you want to wear the gun behind your hip and in a REALLY high-sitting holster that causes you to roll your shoulder forward on the draw.

Have fun shooting the XD! If you ever want to play in Limited, get yourself some .40 mags-- they hold 15 rounds of 9mm with almost no modifications... sometimes feed lips need to be bent in a little, but a rubber mallet takes care of that and they're still usable for .40.

Shoot well!

WOE! Now thats a nifty idea! .40 mags ??? Mmmm strange how you don't pick up on the simplest of ideas. Mr. Gorilla, I can't exactly follow your logic because I simply don't really understand the rules to Production. I would likely wear the gun behind my 3-9 line with the barrel pointed toward my butt, the grip safety pointed up and away from me to my right. If I draw the gun it points directly at the ground about 10 feet behind me. Do people in Production keep the barrel pointed straight down in the holster and somehow pull it straight up? Or am I missing something. If I position the gun on the 3-9 line I would be OK. But behind it seems awkward. Doesn't really matter though. Lim and Lim 10 sound good to me. Lim would be really cool. How many rounds of 9mm would I need to shove into a .40 cal mag to be remotely competive in Limited???? Would 15 put me at an intense disadvantage? I think there are even more Lim shooters than Lim 10 most places...does this seem true? That sounds very exciting! Thanx, and I'll see what Production shooters do to understand it better. I still like to think I might win someday. :-) BTW I have spent 2 years competing in Revolver, which is why I'm so ignorant on all this...sorry bout that. We live in a very different world. :-)

Supposedly, you can turn any Beretta, Sig or S&W mag into a XD mag by simply drilling a hole. If so, CDNNInvestments has 17 round preban magazines for the Beretta for $12.99. You can get the Pierce Grip Extension and get a comfortable 18.

Be careful by using any post ban 10 round magazine to get more than 10 rounds in it. It's a No-No!

If I draw the gun it points directly at the ground about 10 feet behind me.

And people are willing to RO you? If your muzzle's pointing more than 3' to the rear, there's a safety issue. And now that I think about it, you'd be breaking the 180 every time you draw - match DQ.

As soon as the muzzle clears leather (or plastic in many cases), it [the muzzle] should be moving towards the target. There shouldn't be any more angle backward than where the gun is initially pointing when holster. It is better to use a straight drop holster for competion rather than an "FBI Cant". Finally, make sure your holster is at your side, not behind you. "The holster and allied equipment must be wornd behind the center of hip bone". This may be farther forward than you realize.

Yes Bucky I think that is the key...I also think it is important to understand that if I have difficulty doing it safely and choose not to do it then that should be ok with everyone else. I think I could just barely pull it off if the gun was on the 3-9 line and I always use the straight drop style holster. I am not as limber as most people, from age and alot of weight lifting and have years of LE experience behind me where we drew the weapon out in a way that put the muzzle in the "wrong" direction. I actually can not correctly index the weapon and draw correctly from a position I would consider to be "behind the 3-9" but hey... thats why you guys are good at this stuff. I haven't even begun to get into the fact that the magazines would be really hard for me to reach also. And I don't even really see the point of those rules anyway. So lets just say I don't want to compete in Production. :-) But can we agree that it is perfectly safe for everyone else and leave it at that. Again I will not be competing in Production class. It seems everyone does agree that I can use the XD in Lim 10. I'm still curious about Lim, how many rounds are allowed and how many do shooters average when they shoot Lim? Are there no restrictions except the size of the gun?

Any holster that is unsafe and will get you DQed in productin will be unsafe and get you DQed in limited/limited 10. If you want to shoot a XD in limited 10 thats fine but get some carry gear that is safe. Uncle Mikes makes holsters that are safe,suited for everyday use and production/limited/limited 10 for about 20 bucks or so. Larry

The only prohibitions on capacity in Limited are that a double stack magazine must be 140mm or less in length... not an issue with the XD mags. You cannot modify them, however, to be 140mm as this would be breaking Federal law.

As far as using .40 mags, that is perfectly legal because you are not manufacturing a new, higher than 10-round capacity magazine, simply putting 15 rounds in a .40 mag that you have done nothing to. California DOJ has confirmed this. Anyone that's dealt with them will confirm that they are the strictest bunch of tight-arses re: guns. Check out www.xdtalk.com for more information... it's on there somewhere.

I think that the Major-minor deficit will be more of a disadvantage than your magazines holding between 4 and 5 rounds less than other guys shooting in Limited. If you go the hi-cap Beretta mag route, you can add an extension that will take it to 140mm and hold a bunch.