Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Does Strader Shoot?

Fireant

JLJ,

I have known Phil for about 4 years and I have never seen him act rudely or refuse to talk to ANYONE. I have squadded with him at several major matches and have found him friendly and courteous to everyone he meets. If I had to find someone to represent my business or sport; who was well spoken and polite; Phil would be the person. I know many other GMs that fit the description you provided but I would be absolutely shocked if Phil acted like that.

Jack

For the record, I have never had anything but great dealings with Phil. I have talked to him on numerous occasions and he has always been more than happy to help in any way possible. He's a definate class act and great guy.

When looking at the other posts by JLJ, they all include hanging out with Phil and practicing with him....I wonder what the real scoop is.

Zach

Chalk one up for Zach :P ....looked at the previous post by JLJ and found this:

"Anyhow.....Oh yeah, I missed you at Phil's match......Oh well I guess you'll pay next time while I shoot for free.

See you when I get back and let me know how the 180's come out.

JLJ

PS. Congrats Phil on 2nd at the Tropical Cup."

Que Pasa Amigo? I would suggest talking to Phil the next time you shoot his match and working your differences out....bad karma will keep you from shooting well! If your willing to put time and effort into this sport then jump on the va/md section.org website for match info.. Feb/mar when the shooting season starts up again the site will have a list of the local matches. BTW....you will find Phil supporting these clubs by shooting their matches as well as other GM's in the area. If your in the hunt for success try this - pick up one of these books "shooting from within" or Brians, or the cd/vid's by Matt Burkett, and followup over the winter by shooting at least a couple hundred rounds a week in practice coupled with dry fire exercises...you might find the answers to your questions. And maybe that was direction Phil was pointing you towards.

Damn! Busted. You guys are good.

Hey....Phil put me up to it! :lol:

He's sick. He thought it would be funny if someone put in there that he was an ass. I actually work with Phil, and he's a cool guy. We train together as much as possible (which is VERY little), and I've learned a lot from him.

Hope I didn't get anyone too upset. Some of you all fell for it, though!

Good catch BTW, Sterling!

JLJ

Hello everyone!

That was pretty funny. Sorry to get some of you worked up. Jason and I are good friends and he was totally kidding.

First of all, I shoot an STI 2011 that was originally built by John DeAngelo who gunsmithed for EGW and Milinneum Custom. Keal Mfg is building my new gun as I write this, and I can't wait to see what he's come up with. Here are some more specifics for anyone who's interested (anymore).

Long wide frame

Standard Caspian Slide (not lightened)

.9 width standard front sight

KKM barrel

3-3.5 lb pull w/ Gunsmith STI trigger (described by TGO as "like pulling a rake through gravel") :lol:

Standard STI magwell (looks like it's been dragged through gravel)

Heavy Recoil Master

My load is currently 4.5gr of AA#2 with a 200gr WCB. I'm working on a load using VVN310 or VVN330.

All my gear is CRSpeed. I'm happy to answer any questions about shooting, equipment, etc personally at phil@shootersparadise.com

Additionally, I want to thank you all for such wonderful comments. It's fellow shooters like you that make going to matches that much more fun. I look forward to seeing everyone next season. I hope to do even better next year.

Thanks again for all of your support,

Phil

Damn! Hook Line and sinker. If anyone is catching this late here you go.

"I'm confused. Are we talking about Strader as in Phil Strader? I'm happy that some of you have actually talked with him, because I sure as hell couldn't. At a club match this year, he wouldn't give me the time of day......me and the whole squad. Most of us were new shooters, and when asked for help, he refused....basically by telling us "you just need to figure it out on your own." Not exactly what you would expect from a "top competitor."

BTW, is he really a "top" competitor? What big match has he ever won? He basically choked at the Nationals, he didn't win any Area match this year....need I go on?

The only things I've ever heard him say is how bad he's doing at the match, that he doesn't get any respect in Front Sight, or some other sort of whining. There may be a reason he doesn't get any "face time."

Sorry to make this sound like a crucifiction, but he just rubbed me the wrong way.

Sincerely, Confused"

• 1 month later...

I had the pleasure of being in Phil's squad at area 4 in 2003. He is a great guy. I asked him how often he practices and he stated that the only practice that he get's is at major matches. The guy even invited me and my buddy to eat lunch with him and his traveling buddy Ron Francisco, who is also an awesome shooter.

LD