Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some video of the Noveske Shooting Team

cold

I have Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 shotgun and I think FN have identical model called the SLP Mark 1 am I right.

Cold, do you have any pictures for modifications that you have made to your FN?

:rolleyes:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 shotgun and I think FN have identical model called the SLP Mark 1 am I right.

Cold, do you have any pictures for modifications that you have made to your FN?

:rolleyes:

Here you go sir

fnloadport.jpg

fnloadport2.jpg

fnloadport3.jpg

Thank you very much for the pics, Cold.

I just wonder where did you bought your bolt handle and Carrier Release Bar or are they custom made?

Do you have oversized safety and if you have which one?

What Shot Shell Caddy you think is best in the market now?

By the way your shotgun handling and shooting is amazing. It is fun to watch. I enjoy it.

Thank you very much for the pics, Cold.

I just wonder where did you bought your bolt handle and Carrier Release Bar or are they custom made?

Do you have oversized safety and if you have which one?

What Shot Shell Caddy you think is best in the market now?

By the way your shotgun handling and shooting is amazing. It is fun to watch. I enjoy it.

Bolt handle is a Nordic bolt handle I got from www.CPWSA.com

The bolt release I got from Shooters Connection. Progressive Arms Button.

No oversized safety just the normal one the FN came with.

I use the man mountain 4 round carriers also purchased from www.CPWSA.com

I have used both Man mountain and CCW and they both work fine.

Edited by cold

Thank you for answering for my questions, Cold. I appreciate it.

Many shooters here in Finland have been troubles with Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 shotgun's heavy gas piston because it's spring have break only after 1000-3000 shells or slugs. :surprise: (Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 comes with two different gas pistons heavy gas piston for slugs and heavy loads and reduced gas piston for light loads)

Do you have two different gas piston with your shotgun?

Do you or anybody have any idea where I can find new spring for my heavy gas piston?

So I can start shooting slugs, birdshots and heavy loads again. We don't have any of those springs in Finland and some Winchester SX2 Practical shooters need them me included.

Thank you or anybody for a help or tip.

Thank you for answering for my questions, Cold. I appreciate it.

Many shooters here in Finland have been troubles with Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 shotgun's heavy gas piston because it's spring have break only after 1000-3000 shells or slugs. :surprise: (Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 comes with two different gas pistons heavy gas piston for slugs and heavy loads and reduced gas piston for light loads)

Do you have two different gas piston with your shotgun?

Do you or anybody have any idea where I can find new spring for my heavy gas piston?

So I can start shooting slugs, birdshots and heavy loads again. We don't have any of those springs in Finland and some Winchester SX2 Practical shooters need them me included.

Thank you or anybody for a help or tip.

Tzygä,

The FN SLK Mk 1 came with 2 pistons, a light and heavy piston. I run the light piston for everything. I have not had any issues with it yet. I have approx 2-2.5 thousand rounds through this particular gun. The strong majority of those rounds are cheep Federal 1 and 1/8 oz 8's (light cheep shells found at WalMart).

As I understand it, the Winchester and FN guns are cousins. 00Bullitt runs a Winchester Sx3 which is akin to the SLP mk 1 except its approx 1 lb lighter and the receivers are different materials, everything else is the same. I'd hazzard a guess that the SX3 piston would work with the Sx2 but I am not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can come along and answer that question.

I thought also that our shotguns are similar and I really like mine. I have only fired it under 1000 shells. It broke down for the last stage of the match where I have to fire over 20 slugs. When I used the heavy gas piston it worked also with light loads so I was wondering if I can use light gas piston also for slugs. It is new shotgun and I don't want to break it so I would rather buy new heavy spring for the heavy gas piston.

Cold, thanks you for your help and advise and keep on making and posting those great vids with you have made. :cheers:

Hey Tzyga......The Winchester SX2/3 and FN SLP series are the same shotguns. For some reason the SLP's come with a heavy and a light piston. My SX3 came with just a light piston. Sounds like yours may have come with just a heavy piston which is odd. But those springs in the pistons tend to be a weak spot in the design.

Sure Cycle makes a sleeve that replaces the spring and basically renders the piston fully open all the time. It may be worth looking into as a spring replacement since just the spring cannot be purchased for the piston to my knowledge. I have not yet done it to mine but I know folks like Dave Neth and Daniel Horner have and swear by the mod for reliability. I plan to sooner or later.

But as for shooting slugs on the light piston. If they are low recoil slugs......they will work fine. Full power slugs will batter the rear of the receiver and aluminum shavings will build up inside from where the bolt digs into the rear of the receiver and require the heavier piston.

Hi 00bullitt... My Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 shotgun came with both heavy and light (reduced) gas pistons also. Only heavy one is broken. Light gas piston is ok because I have only shot few shells with it.

SKU: BRN-01

Weight: 1 lbs

Sure Cycle system for Browning Gold, Silver and Winchester Super X2 & X3 shotguns More details...

Price: $155.95

Is it that what you mean for Sure Cycle? If I install this do I take gas piston out of my shotgun or leave gas piston also in my shotgun with Sure Cycle systems?

For light gas piston I do have light practical slugs from Seller&Belliot but we have to shoot birdshots also in our matchs so I think those will be too heavy for light gas piston.

Thank you for your help.

Hi 00bullitt... My Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 shotgun came with both heavy and light (reduced) gas pistons also. Only heavy one is broken. Light gas piston is ok because I have only shot few shells with it.

SKU: BRN-01

Weight: 1 lbs

Sure Cycle system for Browning Gold, Silver and Winchester Super X2 & X3 shotguns More details...

Price: $155.95

Is it that what you mean for Sure Cycle? If I install this do I take gas piston out of my shotgun or leave gas piston also in my shotgun with Sure Cycle systems?

For light gas piston I do have light practical slugs from Seller&Belliot but we have to shoot birdshots also in our matchs so I think those will be too heavy for light gas piston.

Thank you for your help.

That SureCycle system is the recoil tube replacement. Its a stainless part that will not rust. Its main purpose was designed around waterfowl hunters. Contact SureCycle about buying a piston with the spacer installed or sending them your piston to convert it. I don't believe they will sell just the spacer. Unfortunately its not an item on their website.

Contact SureCycle about buying a piston with the spacer installed or sending them your piston to convert it. I don't believe they will sell just the spacer. Unfortunately its not an item on their website.

I will contact them and ask piston with the spacer installed, because it is the easiest thing to do. I like to try it.

Thank you for a help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The video The Noveske Shooting Team at the 2010 High Plains Shotgun Challenge. Short and sweet for the short attention spans out there.

Edited by cold

• 2 weeks later...