Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holding Clay Birds

Where would you buy the metal posts that you can set clay birds in for shotgun 3 gun shoots? Or is there a way to hold clay birds that might be cheaper than buying the metal posts? Thank you.

Great answers! Thanks, guys.

Edited by Ontarget

We use scrap rebar and weld two 'U-Bolts" on to form a cradle. Just set the bird in and you are good to go. I have also seen a straight Re-Bar witha short "t" welded to keep the bird facing straight ahead. Alternates can be a pices or 1x1 angle with a 'T' welded across and a cap welded to give you a place to smack the angle with a hammer without destroying the angle on day one.

you can even use a big 12" nail from the Home Depot = like we use to nail fault lines in USPSA matches.

Any way take a strip of -tie Wire- and twist it tight to the top of the nail , bend the louse ends into a tee to keep the clay from turning. Works fine for practice , you just have to re-bend the wire when you reset.

I am not used to clay targets sitting still near the ground. :mellow: I would prefer a clay to fly

Clay targets sitting still are good if you are moving or making very sith shots. they work real nice for no-shoots too. any hole is a penalty, same as any hole is a hit.Put them up near the steel you are shooting or put them between two shoot clays and watch the fun.

Make one have to know the patterns real well.

Another good use is as static targets along a path that one is driven along in a van or pickup. Try engaging a number of targets from the back of a Jeep braced against the roll cage. We block the throttle so we the same speed along the course for everyone. Not an easy COF.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Travis: I really like your clay holders. The problem with naked rebar is they tend to turn on you as they are shot repeatedly.

That isn't the really the best picture. Ours are actually angle iron. The piece you see in the top there that makes it look like a sold piece is actually a piece of solid round bar.

It is just about impossible to get these to turn. Once you drive them in, they are set and won't move!! If you'd like some additional pictures, let me know and I'll take some on Monday.

Adios,

TG

Travis: I really like your clay holders. The problem with naked rebar is they tend to turn on you as they are shot repeatedly.

That isn't the really the best picture. Ours are actually angle iron. The piece you see in the top there that makes it look like a sold piece is actually a piece of solid round bar.

It is just about impossible to get these to turn. Once you drive them in, they are set and won't move!! If you'd like some additional pictures, let me know and I'll take some on Monday.

Adios,

TG

Travis,

What are your clay bird holders called on your website? I can't seem to find them on the price list.

Thanks,

Seiichi

A club I shoot at has great clay holders. A piece of angle iron whatever length you want. another piece about 4-6 inches long. weld the open ends of the angle irons together with the short piece about 30-40 degrees off the long piece. since the open ends are both pointed inward you now have a channel for the clay to sit in. Around here where we have pretty good wind anything that hold the clay tight is good.