Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For A Lite 40 Load

shadetree

I have a glock modle 23 that I shoot steel and idpa matches in occasionally. I have been shooting 165gr plated bullets with different amounts of 3n37. I like the feel but in the lighter loads I often find flakes of powder on my shooting hand and for arm. I am wandering what powders mingt burn more efficiantly with this weight bullet. I like the poofer loads because I have a calcification on my right thumb and with stout loads the rise at the back of the frame just beats the crap out of it. It takes the fun out of shooting.

As always any Ideas would be greatly apriciated.

Shadetree,

The Other ERik is right on, you are going to find that the faster powders like VV N320 & Hogdon Clays will work quite well for you in the lower pf loads.

Try starting at 3.0 gr of clays or 3.5 gr of N320 and go up 2 10th's at a time.

Load like 15 of each. Shoot 5 over the chronograph one at a time, looking for pressure signs. If they all look OK, shoot the remaining 10 for feel paying attention to the recoil as well as how the sights track.

After that, check for accuracy. You might find one better than the other.

I have some titegroup sitting around but I have not yet found any data for bullets under 185 gr. Does any one have a starting load.

Has anyone tried 231? If so how did you like it.

Thanks for the help I will give these a try in the next couple of weeks.

Tried and proven IDPA loads for 5" barrels.

2.6 grains of Titegroup behind a 200 grain lead bullet. 130PF, very soft, no recoil.

3.1 grains of Clays behind a 180 grain FMJ. 139PF, very soft, no recoil.

Try these for a 4" barrel. They may be close to the same PF since both Titegroup and Clays are very fast burning.

Good Luck!

Roy

I shoot 3.5 grains of TiteGroup, Federal 100 primers, and 180 grain Berry plated FP's. In my G35 - 794 fps, G22 - 761 fps, G23 - 740 fps, and XD40 - 733 fps.

Anything less won't reliably cycle the slide in my G35 with stock recoil spring and guide rod, and just to be sure, I don't load 11 rounds - only 10.

I've used American Select with decent success in my STI. I load at std .40 length and use a 135 Rainier. I couldn't fing any load data for the 135's, so I started with the recommended loads for Bullseye. I don't shoot that load anymore, but I think I ended up at 4.0 gr.

Hope that helps.

Ray C.

Since I have about2000 155gr bullets It will be a little while before I try some thing heavier. I notice that quite a few of you are shooting 180 gr or bigger do you notice a signifigant difference in recoil between the bigger bullets and the smaller one's in lower powered loads? How does that effect the way the sights track?

Thanks for all the info you all have been very helpful.

• 1 month later...

W231 is too dirty and smokey. And seems to be even dirtier/smokier at lower pressures.

For steel I like 4.0 gr of Titegroup behind a Montana Gold 180 CMJ. Loaded at 1.140 this will function in darn near anything I have tried it in. Last year at a steel match a squad-mate ran out of reliable ammo so I have him some of mine to finish out the match and he really like how it ran in his Glock.

In my Para this load impacts about a half inch lower than my standard IPSC load at "normal" distances so I don't bother mucking with the sights. I just go shoot.

I have gone as low as 3.6gr but then I have to change out the recoild spring to get reliable functioning and the difference in feel just wasn't worth that effort.

:( OK, I tried my revolver IDPA load with 165 gr Zero over 3.3 gr of Clays in my 5" Para 40 S&W. I have a 12# spring but it stove pipes at least 50% of the time. This same load cronos at 130 PF for my 4" rev.................. This is my IDPA load it's very accurate and I'd like to use the same loads for both the Para and my 610 rev.

I know I can probably load 3.5 gr of Clays and cycle reliably but could I drop down from a 12# recoils spring to........... say.............. a 9# and fix the problem??

Steve

For my sub-minor steel loads in my STI Edge, I run a 7 # spring. 100% reliable unless it gets real dirty, like 1500 rds or so.

For a minor load , 135 pf or so, I run a 9# . Also, I find that the Wolff variable springs tend to work better at the sun-minor pf on a real tight gun..

Not to sound like a copy cat, but my load is the same as Flex's: 3.5 gr Titegroup, 1.135" col, 180jhp= about a 130pf.

I ran out of TG so I'm currently using up some Universal Clays I had laying around: 4.1 gr Univ., 1.135" col, 180jhp= about a 130pf. BTW, I'm shooting combat tupperware (G22)

Kevin,

For major 40 with 180s in my Para I'm using a 12# with a .090 buffer and it works great! One of our good Para 40 shooters likes 12 1/2# with a buffer. I guess the test is shooting a series of 'dbl-taps' and see if the second shot is high or low. If you find both shots printing togeather and everything feeds and elects then you have the ideal spring ;)

Steve