Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My son is joining the Navy

Sean.McCanne

My son has made the decision to serve our country in the Navy. He has joined and is in the Delayed Entry Program. He's 17 and a senior in HS and as soon as he graduates he'll be a military man. I am so proud of him, and there's so many things I wanted to write in here and I can't get them all out, so I'll just leave it there.

Sean

I have two friends that joined the Navy after we graduated. One became a heavy equipment operator in the Sea Bees, and the other a jet turbine mechanic. After they did their time, both stayed for 8 years, then afterward they took jobs in the same feilds and mave made good livings since.

Sean,

I know where your coming from. My son left for Ft. Benning & OSUT two weeks ago. We were able to speak with him on Thursday before he went "downrange" to start his BCT yesterday. We probably will not talk to him until Christmas.

You are proud, scared and many other emotions. Congratulations on raising a son who will serve.

Thanks everyone. :cheers:

Absolutely I'm proud of him. He had his first DEP meeting today. They are starting to learn how to march and he did a lot of pushups. :roflol:

He is applying for ROTC, but if he stays enlisted he has chosen submarine advanced electronics. He's going to test for nuke as well. He is going in either way. It just makes me think of how important the time I have left before he goes...

They grow up really fast...

Sean

Thanks everyone. :cheers:

Absolutely I'm proud of him. He had his first DEP meeting today. They are starting to learn how to march and he did a lot of pushups. :roflol:

He is applying for ROTC, but if he stays enlisted he has chosen submarine advanced electronics. He's going to test for nuke as well. He is going in either way. It just makes me think of how important the time I have left before he goes...

They grow up really fast...

Sean

In my opinion, he couldn't have picked a better field. I spent 7 years as an ET and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Two years of schooling to start out and countless schools after I got to my first duty assignment. They even sent me to Xerox copier school.

After I got out, I worked for a two way radio shop for 8 years and then started my own business 12 years ago. It's been one hell of a ride and still going strong. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy but the work ethic I learned in the Navy has done the trick.

To this day I vividly remember my boot camp company commander screaming "Attention to detail, people, attention to detail". It works growing my business and helps tremendously in my shooting.

Tell him his road ahead won't be easy but then again anything worth having never is.

Kevin

In my opinion, he couldn't have picked a better field. I spent 7 years as an ET and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Two years of schooling to start out and countless schools after I got to my first duty assignment. They even sent me to Xerox copier school.

After I got out, I worked for a two way radio shop for 8 years and then started my own business 12 years ago. It's been one hell of a ride and still going strong. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy but the work ethic I learned in the Navy has done the trick.

To this day I vividly remember my boot camp company commander screaming "Attention to detail, people, attention to detail". It works growing my business and helps tremendously in my shooting.

Tell him his road ahead won't be easy but then again anything worth having never is.

Kevin

I was in the Navy myself, from 90-96. I grew up in the Navy, because I had and knew nothing before I went in. I've done my best to make sure that my son has more opportunities that I had, and even though he has other options, I think he's making a great decision.

"Attention to detail!" Yeah, I remember that, too. :)

Sean

From what I hear isn't the electronics training the USN puts its people through one of if not the best schools out there? Sounds like a great place to learn.

Congrats to you and he. :cheers: Here's to your kid doing well, and choosing the path he has. I am sure he will make you proud.