Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay, I'm going to call on the vast and wonderful resource that is the Benos community here. For whatever reason I just don't seem to get the motivation to go to the gym or use the one at work. Why? Well, a couple of reasons, but primarily, it's a pain. Change, workout, shower, get dressed, etc, etc. My wife has gotten back into strength training and we've got plenty of room for a home system so we've started talking about it looking into it. I've done some looking at stuff like the Bowflex series, but figured I'd see if anybody here had good alternatives that I might not have considered. It's primarily for strength training as we've got other options for cardio (bike trainer, running, etc). So, let's hear it...

We were in your same position a few years ago. Since my wife decided she was going to workout with me, we had to get something a little more friendly. We went to a large fitness store that sold B-flex and several others. We ended up buying a Hoist H2200. That along with a set of Power block dumbells and an adjustable bench and your're ready to go.

When my gym closed down a while back i decided to go the home route, i missed all the cool machines at first but got over it quickly.

You can do most everything you need to with a basic olympic weight set and a power rack.

For something a little more compact check out the vulcan racks from ironmind, a really neat pullup and dipping attachment is available.

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/...cts.asp?dept=16

Bowflex = :sick:

Get yourself some free weights (preferably rubber) and a squat rack before anything else.

I highly recommend Rogue Fitness

Remember: Don't use machines, become one. :cheers:

We've got some rubberized weights, a Bosu (sp?) and a stabila-ball now. We're both more likely to be working out solo...no spotter, nobody around, so that sort of influences things somewhat. She usually takes a break during the day to work out (works from home) and the multi-machines seem to offer a little more flexibility in that regard. R,

Get yourself some free weights (preferably rubber) and a squat rack before anything else.

We've got some rubberized weights, a Bosu (sp?) and a stabila-ball now. We're both more likely to be working out solo...no spotter, nobody around, so that sort of influences things somewhat. She usually takes a break during the day to work out (works from home) and the multi-machines seem to offer a little more flexibility in that regard. R,

If you get a power rack, you don't need a spotter for anything. You can set the safety bars wherever you need to for the exercise that you're doing. Free weights are much better than machines. Machines isolate individual muscles. This seems like a good idea, until you realize that that never happens in the real world.

There are lots of good machines out but I chose free weights (dumbells for me since I am kin to them), bench & ball.

With dumbells I dont need a spotter, granted I cant do 300 pound bench presses but then again I dont go for bulk.

I used to be very "anti-machine" but with the addition of my wife as a training partner and very "fast paced" resistance training, I quickly learned that it was much, much faster to move a pin than to change plates. When you are trying to keep your heart rate up, every second counts.

It may not seem as macho to use machines, dumbells and resistance bands, but I look better, feel better and I'm in better shape than when I had a 300+ bench press and used a power rack and olympic weights almost exclusively.

It is all a matter of ballance. Use the machine when appropriate, move your own body weight every chance you get and use the dumbells or bands the remainder of the time.

BTW Jake, I am not disagreeing with you :sight:

I bought a Weider gym at Sam's Club about 7 years ago and it still works great. The secret is to lube every pulley and connection point with Lithium grease as you are assembling it and use Red locktite on the bolts. There are better machines out there, but this one cost me less than $400 and I have used it several times per week for 7 years- with no breakdowns. I got one with the Leg Press station, so it isn't small.

I agree that free weights are a better choice, but they require a spotter if you are looking to push yourself at all. The weight machine allows me to do heavy reps without a spotter. I also suggest a flat bench and dumb bells.

Bart,

At the expense of being slammed by the young guns here.....and the ridicule from those that know what I look like (not the bowflex ad model).

I do have some good home gym equipment that I can recommend. In my youth, I did AAU Olympic style competitive lifting, and had alway been weight machine adverse.

Years ago my kids wanted to workout with me - changing weights between sets for several people with wide ranging lifting requirements was just not much fun. We bought the top end (at the time) of the Bowflex powerrod systems. They are great - I have had more than a few muscle head friend/co-workers give it a try and they all really like it. Unlike "Weight Machines", the bowflex does not lock your movement along a fixed line - i.e. it is much more like freeweights. The only downside, is the system that I have is limited to 410lbs of resistance - not enough for me, or most grown men, for leg presses. With that in mind, I would recommend their newer revolution systems if leg presses are an issue. Otherwise the top end of the powerrod systems.

http://www.bowflexhomegyms.com/bowflex_hom...+2+Home+Gym.jsp

Next I bought the top end of the Nordic Track treadmills. I like it alot, great quality. My son and daughter are/were both cross-country runners and soccer players. They love it for night or bad weather workouts. I walk on it, and after years of medical problems actually run a little on it.

However, I have bad knees, so I needed non-impactive Cardio workouts. Over the years, when with the AMU traveling, I had occasion to use hotel gym rowing machines. I was a bigtime bike rider then, and could run 2 miles in 13 minutes, but 15-20 minutes on a rowing machine would kick my a$$. So I got a good rowing maching. After much research, I bought one of these. I absolutely love it. Do not buy crap in a rowing machine. The Concept II type machines are really for rowers rather than people using rowing as a workout. I love rowing because it is more of a total body workout.

http://www.rowingmachines.com/p/kettler-er...-rowing-machine

Lastly, I mentioned I used to bike alot. I took that bike, and put it on a stationary trainer. Just so I have options.

I frequently use the rower, using the bike to cool down. Or use the rower, and then walk for 3 minutes on the treadmill. Right now, I mostly use the bowflex for some ab work after doing the other stuff, as I am fighting shooters/tennis elbow.

Just my opinion. Having several options will allow you and your wife able to do cardio in the same room one rowing and the other on a bike or treadmill, even catching up on the news while doing so, and a weight machine that you can quickly change weights, and workout together (I had no problem working out with my 16yr old daughter and 12 yr old son at the same time - 7 years ago).

Mark K.

Bart,

I've been a Personal Trainer for 14 years.... If I didn't spend 40+ hrs per week in a full gym already... I'D BUY A BOWFLEX.

No sh__.

Get the good one. Actually, there's about 1000 of them for sale in great shape on Craig's List in every major metro area in the country.

Between the bowflex, the dumbells, the Bosu, and the ball, you have everything you need. And it's PORTABLE. I'll never buy another 300lb set of barbells in my life. I could train someone for a competition on a good Bowflex. They work just fine.

Jeff

Here was part of my home gym. Go with commercial quality equipment and you'll never wear it out.

Power Rack, flat bench, adjustable bench, a couple of quality bars and lots of free weights and you are good to go. The bowflex adjustable dumbbells are actually not too bad and are a great spacesaver.

I suggest http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/

Warning: Home gyms can be like shooting equipment. I started out basic and ended up with over $15K invested :goof:

Edited by baerburtchell

Chris:

I believe that it's dependent on what your goals are. I personally believe goal specific. Chris you can stay very healthy, lean, tight, whatever through balance/moderation. Balance of Cardiovascular/cardiopulmonary,muscular strength/muscular endurance, and proper nutrition. I think that everyone who has posted here has a certain goal in mind. You don't have to buy any equipment to stay healthy and fit. You can mimic so many exercises with house hold items etc. All of the equipment posted above can be beneficial in many different ways, you just have to decide what may be the best for you're particular application.

Edited by PINMAN44

Hey, this is some great stuff guys! I guess that's exactly what I expected;-) I'm thinking of a reasonably balanced approach and I haven't really ruled much out at this point. Looking forward to reading some more ideas/experience....

Hey, this is some great stuff guys! I guess that's exactly what I expected;-) I'm thinking of a reasonably balanced approach and I haven't really ruled much out at this point. Looking forward to reading some more ideas/experience....

Start watching some of the local college boards / papers. I was in the same boat, until I found a deal when a student needed to move out of his place that same day, he had weight equipment that had to go with him... so... Squat rack, olympic bar, 300# free weights with stand, curl bar, bench, , and a few dumbbells. Add some horse trailer floor mats (cheaper) and you are good to go. I picked up a demo punching bag (80#) from Dicks and the MMA style gloves, so you can go right from punching / knee thrust drills on the bag to the weights with the gloves still on.

I picked up a demo punching bag (80#) from Dicks and the MMA style gloves, so you can go right from punching / knee thrust drills on the bag to the weights with the gloves still on.

You know, that's an excellent idea as well. I've always liked working a heavy bag and it's not a bad idea to keep working on those skills just in case. R,

p90x. minimal weights and equipment needed, SERIOUS results.

pull up bar, two dumb bells, and about 80 lbs in plates is what i use.

2 lb glove weights (not needed, but i like them for plyo and kenpo)

yoga mat.

your body weight.

i have MAYBE 100 dollars into everything.

i picked up the videos online @ the pirates bay.

i have been doing it, and am flabbergasted/dumbfounded on the results.

Edited by halogrinder

Bart,

All you need: kettlebells, jump rope and a good solid pull up bar that you can fully extend on. I didn't believe this over two years ago either but it works.

I can forward you a good basic DVD in ref to kettlebells if you are interested.

Jayson

Add this to the mix of thought. There is a line of thought that says when you guy exercise equipment for home use, buy the best/most expensive you can afford. The reasoning is that you are buying motivation. Buy cheap, and it is easy to say, ah hell, it doesn't matter if I use it or not. But when you have more bucks in it you feel really guilty if you don't use it.

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Mark

I just got into a regular routine (forced by HBP and borderline Diabetes). I put my money towards a personal trainer and in my 20 years of "trying" to get in shape it is the only thing that has worked for me. I actually re-routed my big 40th b-day gift to off-set the training expense...who needs a corvette right?

As far as equipment my trainer has been using my own weight against me (a big enemy..lol) and it has really kicked my butt. No real weights or machines, mostly bands, kettle bells, medicine balls, etc. Lots of squats, lunges, weird stuff (sledge hammers, fire hoses, half water filled 10ft pvc).

It may be the new thing but this type of training seems to be sticking.

Here are a few suppliers of torture devices.

http://www.monkeybargym.com/

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/

http://turbulencetraining.blogspot.com/

I wish you the best!

I picked up a demo punching bag (80#) from Dicks and the MMA style gloves, so you can go right from punching / knee thrust drills on the bag to the weights with the gloves still on.

You know, that's an excellent idea as well. I've always liked working a heavy bag and it's not a bad idea to keep working on those skills just in case. R,

I love it. Throw a min of LRL or LLRL at the bag at 60-80% power then jump over and bang out a set of tri presses.. or bench press, then back to the bag for singles LR LR LR then back for another set of lifting.. then back to the bag for knee thrusts or grab and "kidney shots".. then rest.

Mix it up, it will keep you focused on doing it.