Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Sand Bags Do You Reccomend For Rifle Shooting

I have a proper store bought front rest but i made my own sandbags..... i would like to upgrade my front bag and my rear bag to something proper for benchrest shooting... what do you reccomend.. and can you explain what to look for in a bag..... I am just a young guy on a buget so keep that in mind....

-gbm-

I use bags filled with pelletized plastic instead of sand. They are nearly as good as sand, tons lighter (sorry), and dry faster if they get wet. Get this stuff at an injection molding plant, prob'ly find some in their dumpster if they won't just give you a few scoops out the back door. The stuff made from ground-up scrap parts is best 'cause it's sharper and more stable. Ask for some "regrind".

You could ask the former Captain of Team Sand to loan you some of his. He doesn't appear to be utilizing them right now. :D

Sorry, off-topic and tactless. Couldn't resist it.

On the more serious side, Erik speaks truth. Filling your own is a pain in the rear. Get them pre-filled or at least fill them with silica-type sand. Ours is filled with range dust. Ugh!

Seems like anything stable would do the job. Having used military sandbags and those specifically designed for shooting, the military ones worked better for supporting me and my rifle. They were more solid and stable. The other kind seemed too small.

L

Hi. Depends on how much money you want to spend. These are my OPIONIONS:

Rolls--Farley (has a "steering stick" very slick).

Mercedes--Bald Eagle (one of the most popular)

Sinclair International--another good rig.

There are a bunch of good ones. Most are set up for a 3" BR stock, but have available different size "inserts". Best site is benchrest.com and browse the ads. They won't talk handguns, though. At all. You might type in THE LIST and see what they've got in used ones. Good site for used firearms. Dillon also has a decent one. You can get a doo-hickey from Sinclair that attaches to your front swivel hole that converts your sporter stock to a flat 3" base so it will work in a BR rest. Don't forget the rear rest. Bald Eagle is good. Just find the Sinclair site.

The Hoppe's is junk, don't even think about it.

gbm,

You said you made your own rear bag but you wanted something proper for benchrest shooting, is it because the bags don't work or don't look cool. My range bags are old plastic shot bags filled with old primers. They are not as heavy as sand bags but can be formed to fit the forearm and buttstock of any gun I want to shoot from a bench. I filled them to different amounts for just the right height front and rear. When I shoot the revolver from the bench I don't have to worry about the blast from the cyclinder gap getting the bag dirty, 10 1/2" Super Blackhawk & 300gr bullets for Elk. Have lots of shotbags so if they get torn I have lots of replacements.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an effective, cheap solution that I have used. I took about 8 of my empty lead shot bags (back when they were cloth not the plastic ones) and filled them with rice. I bought a large bag of rice from the grocery stor and filled the bags. Then I used the classic Army issue "100mph tape" (duct tape will work, also) and wrapped the bags shut. I keep the bags in a generic backpack and I just grab the pack whenever I go to the range for rifle shooting.

• 1 month later...