Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Todd Jarrett's Mags

Flexmoney

In the Nov/Dec 2003 issue of Front Sight, there is a picture of TJ at the Factory Gun Nationals on page 39. He is wearing 5 mags...and has one in the gun.

He seems to know a thing or two about this game we play.

Always have more than enough mags.

The matches that Todd wins, he's won them long before the first shot is fired. "Unprepared" is not a word in his vocabulary. The nationals where his recoil spring & cap took off downrange, he had spares ready in his range bag.

Ask him a reasonable, technical question and TJ will give you an incredibly well-thought-out answer. Doing a walk-thru at the same time as him will teach you a LOT. Even at a local match in Area 8 - same level of thoroughness, every time. Having him RO you thru a stage is nice, too.

The one big tournament I shot on his squad, he copied some little thing I did twice, and I copied what he did about 50 or 60 times.

If I am shooting one of the 10rd games, I have 5 on the belt and 1 in the gun. It is a matter of simple math, really. Our game uses a lot of 8rd arrays with a max 32rd CoF. That is 4 shooting positions, or 4 used mags. If all goes well, I have 2 spare mags on my belt when I am finished. If something doesn't go right, like a launched mag during a mag change, I have a spare. Or if something goes wrong with a mag I've still got a spare. But the thing I will most likely do to cause me to use another mag is the Unintentional Mag Change When Changing Positions. I have used all 6 on a CoF doing that.

Even I'm shooting regular capacities mags (17 rds) I always carry as much mag as I can on field courses.

Which means 4 on the belt and 1 in the gun.

Sometimes one in the pocket can save the match.

I saw a shooter hanging in a cooper tunnel and loosing three mags out of his belt.

He finished the last 16 rds with a 16 rds mag an 1 round in the chamber :blink: .

Too much mags is no big deal, not enough IS a big deal !

• 4 months later...
But the thing I will most likely do to cause me to use another mag is the Unintentional Mag Change When Changing Positions

on 1 stage i shot, you had to shoot 2 poppers from the box, then run the rest of the course. to the right of the box were 3 paper targets behind a short wall. after shooting the poppers, i left the box towards the 3 papers. right as i left the box i did a mag change...after 2 shots! as i was finishing the stage i thought for sure i was going to run our of ammo (i only had 3 mag holders on my belt). luckily i didnt run out, but now i have 5 mag holders on the belt.

A few nationals ago, I watched a shooter go through one of the stages with a lot of walls and windows. Every time he went through a doorway, another magazine got stripped off his belt by the doorframe. He finished without having to go back, but just barely. Unless the weight is slowing you down, there is no such thing as "too much ammo" to start with. In competition or real life.

• 8 months later...

I'm one of the guys with 72-82 rounds on me when I start 2x18, 1x16, 2x15.

One in gun, four on belt and stripper with at least 10 in pocket if no prone is required. And yes, due to brain farts/gun farts I have used them all with only 3 rounds on me at ICHDH.

last week at our indoor match. we had a 20 round stage. I started the stage w/ a 27rd big stick in the gun, one 23rd and two 20rd mags on my belt. when i shoot outdoors i start with 1x29, 1x23, and 3x20.

Is 112 rounds enough for a 28rd stage???

Also for 3gun, on a 28 round stage i start with 28 in the gun and 4 spare mags for a total of 140rds.

21 rounds in the gun, more if I could get it, plus 3-4 20 rounders with 19 in them on the belt for USPSA Limited.

21 rounds in the gun, more if I could get it, plus 2 20 rounders with 19 in them on the belt for 3-Gun.

For concealed carry this time of year, 16 rounds in gun #1, 11 rounds in gun #2, and 5 rounds in gun #3. :ph34r:

I carry as much ammo as some of you guys during a field course when I am going around in my daily life. :lol:

Lessee ... usually it's 60 rounds including what I have loaded in the guns. That's assuming I don't have a J-Frame in my pocket too, plus a speed strip for it, which would bring the total to 70. ;)

But I usually don't have the J-Frame unless I am in the gym, and then I don't have the other stuff.

Curiously, when I shoot a match I usually only have 60 rounds when I shoot my 9mm (11 in the gun, four tens, and a nine on the belt), and 59 when I shoot my .45.

Was watching a friend shoot a 40 rnd stage at the 2003 AWARE.....................he had just one mag on his belt and a big stick in his gun (he was shooting OPEN)..............he reloaded on a bridge, and then he had a problem, boy did he have a problem!...................by the way, he is a MASTER class shooter! Sometimes, you just take a bit too much for granted.

I have a saying (a bit corny but....) You can only have too much ammo when you're going swimmin...........and I don't see no water on this stage!

• 1 month later...