Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open holster choices today.....

flack jacket

Morning all.....

Way back in Late 80's Early 90's when selecting an OPEN holster, shooters selected a holster "THE" Safariland 007 Final Option.

After getting back into IPSC/ USPSA I noticed Safariland is no longer on the top of the heap.

Prominent choices at the range are CR Speed, Ghost and Limcat with a multitude of different mag carriers and belts.

Does Safariland lack in performance, Looks, Cost, etc?

TIA

Morning all.....

Way back in Late 80's Early 90's when selecting an OPEN holster, shooters selected a holster "THE" Safariland 007 Final Option.

After getting back into IPSC/ USPSA I noticed Safariland is no longer on the top of the heap.

Prominent choices at the range are CR Speed, Ghost and Limcat with a multitude of different mag carriers and belts.

Does Safariland lack in performance, Looks, Cost, etc?

TIA

Extremely difficult to deal with at the moment. They have some good stuff, but now a conglomerate selling mostly police duty gear. I won a gift certificate from them and have had zero response in trying to redeem it. Get a CR Speed from one of the forum dealers and the mag pouches they sell to go along with the CR Speed. Ghost are good, don't see Limcat around here, but they have a great reputation. I have some 773 pouches from Safariland that are great. Welcome back.

I didn't deal direct, I dealt with a local distributor of their product.

I initially called Safariland and the sales rep I talked with said it would be faster / better for me to just deal with a distributor.

I had to wait a few weeks, but since I was 'upgrading' my rig I just used the old one until everything came in.

I bought the inner and outer belt from Midway, saved a few bucks that way.

IMO Safariland doesn't have much selection for competition. What the do have is good though.

I'm switching to open and have accumulated their double stack pouches and an 013 holster. Haven't used anything yet as I'm still waiting on the gun. I have used their SS pouches for L-10 for a few years with no complaints.

Haven't had any problems using their certificates, except they are painfully slow in shipping, takes at least 3 weeks or more. Everything I have from Safariland came from a certificate, I've never actually bought anything from them.

The 013 came from a certificate for ANY holster. Called them up, said I had a certificate for ANY holster and asked them to send me an 013, no problem, and "4 weeks" later in was on the front porch.

I'm still sitting on one more $100 certificate, just don't need anything right now.

During the early part of my USPSA shooting I tried buying a better score with a Safariland 012 & 771 pouches for Limited and a 1911. Then it was a Houge for a Glock 21 with 773 pouches. Then it was the 012 & 771's for a Para. The open gun sits in a CR Speed with CR pouches. Still trying to buy a better score.

During the early part of my USPSA shooting I tried buying a better score with a Safariland 012 & 771 pouches for Limited and a 1911. Then it was a Houge for a Glock 21 with 773 pouches. Then it was the 012 & 771's for a Para. The open gun sits in a CR Speed with CR pouches. Still trying to buy a better score.

I call that "research & experimentation".

The most popular frames for Limited and Open are STI, Safariland holsters do not work with STI trigger guards, Just look and see how many new and nearly new ones are for sale, They work pretty well for standard steel 1911 trigger guards and I use a Model 010 for my para ordnance. Back when the guns coming out of them were steel trigger guard Caspian and Para's I imagine Safariland dominated, but not anymore.

Edited by Joe4d

The most popular frames for Limited and Open are STI, Safariland holsters do not work with STI trigger guards, Just look and see how many new and nearly new ones are for sale, They work pretty well for standard steel 1911 trigger guards and I use a Model 010 for my para ordnance. Back when the guns coming out of them were steel trigger guard Caspian and Para's I imagine STI dominated, but not anymore.

after reading this statement i checked out the safariland 013 i am selling because i have seen 2011 frame type pistols in the 012 holsters (i.e. mike voigt and other local shooters) and was curious. after reading the instuctions i found there is a spacer that prevents larger trigger guards from fitting in the holster. after removing said spacer i was able to insert a 2011 grip in no problem and it locks in just fine.

i am selling the one i have due to the fact i like what i have been using and don't want to invest in the safariland belt system to make it all work properly. i think it is a good, secure holster and would consider using it if i didn't prefer my current (ribas) set-up.

Edited by dr2e

I started out with a 007 back years ago and when I got back into the sport I bought a 012 thinking how much better it would be. I shot one or two matches with it and bought a Guga Ribas (have three of them now). The lack of a lock on the 012 is why you'll see folks with straps that go around the holster and the gun.

Safariland has made an improvement to the 012 by adding a lock...it's the 013. I picked up one off a prize table and while the lock is a nice addition, I still don't think it remotely equals that of some other models in ease of releasing during the draw. The other thing is that the 012/013 aren't quite as easily adjustable as some others simply due to the bulk of the holster body...somewhat more limiting.

Ribas, Limcat, Ghost and CR Speed are the other common choices...probably in reverse order of popularity there (price becomes a factor with a couple of those models as well). R,

Edit to add link showing the "risk" of your gun popping out (teasing Boz there):

Edited by G-ManBart

I shoot the Guga Ribas as I believe G-Man Bart does also. I mainly shoot it so I can shoot Open and Limited from the same rig. The other benefit for me is not having the holster sticking in my leg at times. It takes some time to get used to it and certain risks are involved. I will usually start from half-lock on a seated or unusual start. I don't know I would recommend it for everyone but it works for me.

Thanks for the input!! I'm going to try out these various holsters. Unfortunately, my Open pistol is not 1911 based. it's CZ/Tanfolio based, but it does have a "squared" trigger guard. As for Limited, my pistol is a G35. LOL I guess I'm making it hard for myself for the different trigger guard widths and shapes....

Suggestions?

Thanks for the input!! I'm going to try out these various holsters. Unfortunately, my Open pistol is not 1911 based. it's CZ/Tanfolio based, but it does have a "squared" trigger guard. As for Limited, my pistol is a G35. LOL I guess I'm making it hard for myself for the different trigger guard widths and shapes....

Suggestions?

Yes. You will probably need 2 different holsters-2 different frames. A Comp-Tac will work and be the least expensive for the Glock 35. A Ghost or CR Speed for the Tanfoglio. CRSpeed has Glock holsters as well, but you are looking at $300-400 for holsters if you go with CRSpeed and Ghost, so to get going for less money, you might want to use a less expensive holster for the Glock. I've seen a number of top shooters using standard Kydex belt holsters in Limited. You might want to try the forum here and see what's for sale. You will always be able to sell good gear if you don't like it.