Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Die Cleaning

.40AET

How often, if ever does a set of reloading dies need to be removed and cleaned? Mine have been in use for a year and have started leaving a small mark on the brass. Should they be scrubbed out? Thanks in advance for any input.

Is the resizing die the one that mainly gets gooped up from case lube and dust? I can't see that the expander/poweder feeder should ever get all that dirty. Do the dies get cleaned in the same basic manner as a barrel? Thanks for the input.

The cleaner the brass, the less dirt in the sizing die. If you use a lube such as one-shot, you should clean it out every 1 K or so.

Biggest problem is the seating die if you are using lead bullets as the lube on them will gum up and cause OAL problems.

Yes, clean like a gun part :D

there is usually a guy at gun shows that sells black plastic brushes that are 60 caliber or so and a couple of passes through the die normally makes them look like new.....wd40 or the like sprayed through the die before brushing really knocks out the lube and other junk.....DICK

The only time I had a carbide sizing die mark brass (45 acp), I took it out, scrubbed like crazy, and it still marked the brass. Since they were Dillon dies, I called Dillon to ask how to clean it out, and they sent me a new one, no charge. Nice service. Apparently, either the carbide was damaged or something stuck in it, and no amount of scrubbing would help.

So, if the brass is being marked, inspect the sizer closely.

Lee

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks a lot Dick. I can probably get .60 cals in the black powder section at Bass Pro Shops, and I have lots of WD-40.

Kirk

DO NOT use WD4-40 to clean a die or lubricate anything around your primers! It takes only a very slight amount to deactivate your primers.

Remove the die and, preferably, use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner if you feel that your dies need cleaning.