Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Dropping Out Of Gun

downzero

My STI Eagle runs fine with 10 round magazines, but when I use a High Cap Mag the magazine falls out after the first or second shot. The recoil causes the magazine to release.

I'm not riding the mag release.

Does it need a new spring? How do I correct this problem?

Dowzero,

Try this. ( at the range of course :D )

With the slide locked back, insert the full magazine into gun. Make sure it is in all the way by trying to pull it out. If you can tug it out, the mag catch is not grabbing it securely. If you cannot tug it out, let the silde go forward and shoot the mag to see if it falls out.

My guess is that the full mag on the hicap is preventing it from completly engaging the mag catch. Blue edge's suggestion of downloading one should solve it.

BTW, what spring/follower/basepad are you using on the highcap?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a similar problem and it turned out the mags were just a bit too tall. They just wouldn't seat in deep enough to positively latch on the mag catch. STI fixed the problem but understanding now what it was, I would make the repair myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with my brand new STI EDGE 45. Chris from STI has the solution.

It seems that they found a problem about a month ago with the mag release. Some mags will drop on the first shot. Others function as designed. It seem that some mags are hitting the mag release from the inside when being fired causing the drop.

Chris sent me pix of how to modify the mag release to prevent the problem. A serious bevel on catch side opposite the lock does the trick.

I did the modification last night, took about 10 min total including R&R and a good cleaning after grinding with a tapered cone stone on my Dremel.

Tested the modification under fire & it works like a dream. NO MORE DROPS.

All new mag releases manufactured by STI after March 2004 have the modification.

He also said if I didn't want to or couldn't do the mod, they would send me a new mag release, free of charge.

See the pix below or contact chris@stiguns.com

Thanks to FLEXMONEY for posting the pix.

My STI Eagle runs fine with 10 round magazines, but when I use a High Cap Mag the magazine falls out after the first or second shot.

THis may be considered Thread Drift. If so and there is a better place, please feel free to put it there, but I cna't pass the oppurtunity to correct the use of High Capacity Mags to Standard Capacity.

Let's all call the full capacity mags what they really are; STANDARD Capacity and the 1994 reduced capacity mags what they really are; REDUCED capacity.

Words have meaning for almost eveyone (except Bill C. who makes up meanings as he goes along)

By stating that something is High-Capacity we buy into the other sides calling it evil. It is not an ASSAULT RIFLE, it is a Sporting Firearm, or as some one else said a HDW (Homeland Defense Weapon)

Jim Norman