Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New FN SLP Mark 1 and my first 3 gun with it....

jailer252

After reading on here for a while about which shotgun was going to replace my 1100 tactical I decided on the FN SLP Mark 1. I use it for the USCGA 3 gun match here in CT and couldn't be happier. My remington 1100 would only run the AA 1300 FPS shells so I had a good supply on hand. With only 25 rounds through it before the match and with myself and another shooter in my squad using it the results were pretty good. The only issue the other guy had with it was that he was using wally mart value pack winchester shells and they wouldn't cycle the gun reliably. I gave him some of my ammo to finish the match and the gun then worked without a hitch. I had swapped the red F/O front for a green rod and getting the lifter welded is next on my to do list. The only thing i did notice was the shell several times would hang on the tab that holds the shell in the tube as I tried to load. I am thinking that over time that this will wear in or perhaps it needs to be de-burred of any rough edges. Can't wait til the next 3 gun match..... now if I can only find a 1-4 power scope for my AR :blink:

After reading on here for a while about which shotgun was going to replace my 1100 tactical I decided on the FN SLP Mark 1. I use it for the USCGA 3 gun match here in CT and couldn't be happier. My remington 1100 would only run the AA 1300 FPS shells so I had a good supply on hand. With only 25 rounds through it before the match and with myself and another shooter in my squad using it the results were pretty good. The only issue the other guy had with it was that he was using wally mart value pack winchester shells and they wouldn't cycle the gun reliably. I gave him some of my ammo to finish the match and the gun then worked without a hitch. I had swapped the red F/O front for a green rod and getting the lifter welded is next on my to do list. The only thing i did notice was the shell several times would hang on the tab that holds the shell in the tube as I tried to load. I am thinking that over time that this will wear in or perhaps it needs to be de-burred of any rough edges. Can't wait til the next 3 gun match..... now if I can only find a 1-4 power scope for my AR :blink:

I'm glad it worked well. I am a little surprised that it didn't run the winchester value pack, because mine runs just fine with them.

Go with a Meopta K-dot for the AR unless you have $2,400 for the Swaro Z6i.

Simlar experience with mine - ran 1-1/8 oz. Estate loads like a champ, loaned it to a friend at the same match running 1 oz Remington loads, didn't like them.

But, the gun was only a week old, with less than 100 rounds through it.

Sure like it over my 11-87 that I shot for years!

I've found two things that keep an FN SLP running smoothly:

1. Keep the bolt assembly wet - lube it regularly.

2. Polish the top half of the chamber opening. There is an edge there that can snag some brands of shells as they are fed.

A bullet shaped felt polishing tip coated with Flitz or Semi-Chrome and a dremel tool fixes that. You need to break and smooth the edge.

My FN runs fine with the 1 1/8 loads. I'm going to stick with what I know works. The gun has been double or even triple shot at every 3-Gun match and has never had an issue.

I run a Weaver 1x3 on my AR for 3-Gun and a Bushnell Holo for CQB (Carbine Matches). There is no precision in the dot but its faster. The Weaver was $79 at MidwayUsa on Sale a while back.

My FN runs fine with the 1 1/8 loads. I'm going to stick with what I know works. The gun has been double or even triple shot at every 3-Gun match and has never had an issue.

I run a Weaver 1x3 on my AR for 3-Gun and a Bushnell Holo for CQB (Carbine Matches). There is no precision in the dot but its faster. The Weaver was $79 at MidwayUsa on Sale a while back.

Just curious.

Did you shoot on Sunday? Did it rain as hard as it was supposed to?

I did not want to drive 5 hours to shoot in the predicted 36 degree, 90% rain with 15 to 20mph winds!

Anyway, I now have a Browning Gold that has served me very well for the past six years.

My next shotgun will probably be a FN like yours.

Take care.

Actually I shot on Saturday. The match was very well run and as usual the Coast Guard did a great job. I did hear some grumbles about there not being enough rifle rounds at distance but the did have a low light/foggy room stage that was very interesting. I feel bad for the competitors that shot Sunday as the weather was terrible. Great match, looking forward to next years..

DM I shot on Sunday and it was a nasty day. I almost didn't go myself but I am glad I did as it was a fun match. I am about 75 minutes away so it wasn't bad except for the ride home with the wet muddy boots especially from the Whale Watching stage which was a mud swamp at the end of the day when I shot it. Just finished up today cleaning the guns. To say they were wet would be an understatement LOL

Jailer did your shotgun come with the two pistons for heavy and lighter loads? I shot my 870 at the match and would like to get something a little faster and was looking at the SLP. What did you pay for yours?

Edited by Rob01

I have been running an FN all year and love it, it does shoot slugs a little high, it groups best with Brenke KO slugs, they sting a bit but are better than a long range miss. I am actually running the heavy gas piston in mine and use (mostly) Wally World Federals (the 100 rd value packs). When it was new it would occasionally hang with the light loads so I ran about 500 rounds of federal high brass through it. Now it is super reliable. Put the forearm on the belt sander to clear the loading port and open the loading port and you are good to go!!

BTW, I figured if that s-l-o-w guy from the AMU is using an FN (I think his name is Daniel.. Something) :roflol: It's probably good enough for me!!!

I got my FN from Tanner Sports Center in PA. I bought it off gunbroker for 849.00 + 20.00 Shipping. It did come with both pistons and comes with the piston for lighter loads installed. Having tons of F/O rod around it was an easy switch to swap out to the green. Out of the box it preformed awsome. I highly suggest the FN SLP Mark 1 with its 8 round capacity over the FN SLP with its 6 round tube and shorter barrel. On each of the shotgun stages at the match I was easily able to load the additional 8 rounds (out of 2 belt loaders on my strong side) with ease as opposed to my 1100 tactical. Not that I couldn't load the 1100 quickly but the FN is a little easier. And yes my 1100 did have the EZ loader on it. I ended up 9th in my division and 14th overall which wasn't to bad as this is only my 3rd 3 gun match. Once I get the rifle optic addressed I will be good to go.

Thanks for the info. I came in 20th in my division and 27th overall but it was my first 3 gun match so I was pretty happy especially running my old 870. A buddy keeps pushing me towards a Benelli but for some reason I want an FN. Wish there were more 3 gun matches in the area.

Thanks for the info. I came in 20th in my division and 27th overall but it was my first 3 gun match so I was pretty happy especially running my old 870. A buddy keeps pushing me towards a Benelli but for some reason I want an FN. Wish there were more 3 gun matches in the area.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the results for the Conn. 3gun match.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

We knew the weather was going to be bad and I could not confirm with Cadet training on just how many Cadets would get the chance to work the match. Resetting targets in heavy downpours, limited availability on steel flash, lacking flash observers and four days of set up and running the match with three people was a work of art. (the cadets showed up on game day to SO and reset.) Some of us even employed our wives to enter scores. The CWO in charge of the weapon section (me) also left at a moments notice just days before the match to take a fishing trip down memory lane with his dad who was found several weeks before ridden with lung cancer. I've heard mostly very positive reports from the match and I'm enthusiastic that everyone is looking forward to next year, we've already started stage concepts for 2010.

All that aside, I took the staff to SigArms academy last month for the "Introduction to Competitive Three Gun" course. Needless to say they all fell in love with the shotgun again. Look for next years Maritime 3-Gun to be a little heavier in the shotgun usage. BTW, I left work early today to pick up my Mark I, now it's time to get a side saddle.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running an SX2 since about 2006.

When new, it would run 3 1/4 dram 1oz loads or 3 dram 1 1/8 loads. Would not run 3 dram 1oz loads [or lighter].

Reading posts on this board I locked the bolt back for a few weeks in the safe compressing the recoil spring and it has run anything I feed it since.