Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate my Pact Mk IV

It seems like the bullet has to fly within a pair of imaginary goalposts an inch apart to get a reading. Out of every 10 shots I typically get a beep on only 4-6, and 1-2 of those will be a false reading (<= 200fps).

I'm setting the start sensor about 4 paces from the bench. Using the skyscreens when its sunny and taking them off when it's cloudy. When I shoot I try to set the front sight directly over the sensors.

Is there some technique I'm just missing, or is this typical? Are other makes/models of chrono easier to use?

4 out of 10 is way better than my MKIV will do. When it works it works really well(it has worked really well once). 95% of the times when I try to use it I get " no stop signal" message. I called Pact and was told to clean the sensors. I'd send it back but I suspect it would come back exactly as it currently is, and I'd be out $25 in shipping( $10 to them, and they charge $14.99 return IIRC).

Maybe you could sacrifice some chickens over it, while you do a rain dance around it.

My other thought was to build a 12V DC light box for it.

The timer function is great other than the size.

I could tell you stories about the Pact chrono I had. Went back to Pact three times. The last time it came back it had instructions to put the head in a box and bury the cables from the sky screens while using it. :surprise: I gave it to a friend with the appropriate disclaimers. He threw it away about 3 months later.

Adios,

Pat

I could tell you stories about the Pact chrono I had. Went back to Pact three times. The last time it came back it had instructions to put the head in a box and bury the cables from the sky screens while using it. :surprise: I gave it to a friend with the appropriate disclaimers. He threw it away about 3 months later.

Adios,

Pat

:roflol:

I heard the older ones we're really built like a tank and the later versions were POS.

Mine did work for +/- a month. It now works as a practice timer.

Best said, it's a good timer with the possibility of chrono function. I've had a reasonable amount of success with it, but the track record isn't 100 percent.

Definitely works 100 percent better in shade than direct sun in my experience. I use the skyscreens even in shade. Direct sun is really iffy based on the light angle. And I recently lost an entire string in the memory by unplugging the sensor wires before turning it off...sure wasn't expecting that!

The timer/chrono unit works best if shielded from the sound of muzzle blast (I use a padded case from a portable CD player). Seems to be sensitive to the position of the sensor wires as well: don't cross them over, keep 'em parallel.

I love the sensors separated from the head unit...I've hit sensors in the past. All that being said, I find it frustrating enough that I've bought a CE Prochrono Digital to see if it worked a little more consistently. Unfortunately, without an expensive add on, I won't be able to retrieve info and reset from the bench like I could with the Pact.

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

Adios,

Pat

:roflol:

I heard the older ones we're really built like a tank and the later versions were POS.

Mine did work for +/- a month. It now works as a practice timer.

mine is an older one, Circa 1996 or so IIRC

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Pact chrono which works well. When I tried it the first time it was placed on the table next to me while I was shooting. I got nothing but wierd readings. I moved the control head to the next bay and it gave good readings.

Interesting. I probably did have the cables laying on each other, or even twisted. At one point I flipped the sensor bar around front-to-back and that seemed to improve things, but maybe I just un-tangled the cables. Next time I take it out I will pay more attention to the cables and proximity of the control unit to muzzle blast.

I placed the sensors in the shade, took care to separate the cables, and shield the control unit from blast. I got a reading on 26 out of 40 rounds, with one of those being bogus. Not fantastic, but enough of an improvement that I'm no longer itching to buy a new chrono.