Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New law passed in CA regulating handgun ammo

The State of CA has passed a law that regulates the sale of handgun ammo. It was and is intended to prevent the sale of ammo to gang members and other prohibited persons. By doing this, it will make buying ammo from out of state vendors nearly impossible for most people.

In a nutshell, all retail sales of handgun ammo will need to be face to face. It does not affect private individuals selling ammo. It also does not prevent a competitor from brining in ammo for a competition. It also does not apply to powder, primers, bullets or brass; just loaded ammo. It does apply to reloads.

If you are not engaged in the business of selling ammo, then this will not affect you.

If you are, then you will not be able to sell ammo to someone in CA that is going to use it in an handgun.

It is known as AB962. There are a number of exceptions to this law, most notable the exception for type 03FFL ( C&R ) with a Certificate of

eligibility ( COE ).

I think there may be some misunderstandings in interpreting the bill:

1. The Visalia times is not correct in saying that purchases will be limited to 50 rds a month for the purchaser. It's that the law applies to sales of more than 50 rounds. The vendor will need to be licensed and keep records and ID the purchaser. I don't see any language in the bill limiting the amount that can be sold (though any amount sold, even less than 50 rounds, needs the documentation, from the looks of it).

2. I don't see any exception for private sales/transfers unless between family members or for under 50 rounds.

Added per request.