Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft USPSA competitions

Cy Soto

If there was a club in your area (let's say within one hour drive time) offering Airsoft USPSA competitions (ala AIPSC like they do in the Philippines and other countries), would you purchase new gear and shoot these matches?

I would love to see a club emerge in my area that offered these on a weekday evening. These would be great to do in an indoor venue which also makes it a great alternative for the Winter months.

Edited by Cy Soto

There's no such thing as Airsoft USPSA. DVC!!

Future scenario: Why do they need real bullets? They'll be happy with their Airsoft toys. The Cowboy Action gun nuts are happy with their blanks and wax bullets.

Yes I understand this. I was just wondering if there would be any interest in introducing a new league to the sport.

The reason I ask is because I have heard some people mention something along the lines of a .22LR USPSA match. Some say that this would be a good way to get new shooter (especially young ones) involved in the sport. I am not advocating replacing what we have; just complemented with an alternative sport.

If there was a club in your area would you purchase new gear and shoot these matches?

No.

No. Every round (little pathetic plastic BB) shot (out of a pathetic plastic/aluminum toy) brings us one step closer to the countries where airsoft IPSC is the only game in town. My opinion may be baseless, irrational, paranoid and does not in anyway espouse that airsoft is not valuable practice and does not in anyway disparage those who feel differently. The skill set, and experience of USPSA versus "airsoft IPSC" is akin to comparing playing with radio controlled airplanes to landing a F14 on the deck of a carrier.

That said. I am ASHAMED to admit to using airsoft to practice due to financial issues.

Edited by Woody Allen

Yes I understand this. I was just wondering if there would be any interest in introducing a new league to the sport.

The reason I ask is because I have heard some people mention something along the lines of a .22LR USPSA match. Some say that this would be a good way to get new shooter (especially young ones) involved in the sport. I am not advocating replacing what we have; just complemented with an alternative sport.

It can't be done. Neither airsoft nor rimfire is possible. We have a minimum power factor. Power Vis is one of the fundamental aspects of the sport. DVC. Once those are gone, we have nothing.

Edited by Steve J

I think the idea is valid, if and only if it has ZERO affiliation with USPSA. Certainly nothing wrong with it in and of itself, but it will only serve to hurt USPSA if its included under their umbrella.

I think the idea is valid, if and only if it has ZERO affiliation with USPSA. Certainly nothing wrong with it in and of itself, but it will only serve to hurt USPSA if its included under their umbrella.

I see your point. However, my view stands, no spitball IPSC, no BB gun IPSC, no rubber band gun IPSC, no squirt gun IPSC, no laser IPSC, no paintball IPSC---no anything that anyone could connect with firearm competitions. We compete with guns. Guns with bullets. Not clay bullets, not frangible bullets, not wax bullets-real bullets that one uses for the reasons one uses real bullets.

....Future scenario: Why do they need real bullets? They'll be happy with their Airsoft toys....
...Do the words "Slippery Slope" mean anything???
... Every round ... shot ... brings us one step closer to the countries where airsoft IPSC is the only game in town....

People who think this are silly.

....My opinion may be baseless, irrational, paranoid ....

At least you're honest and realistic!

... The skill set, and experience of USPSA versus "airsoft IPSC" is akin to comparing playing with radio controlled airplanes to landing a F14 on the deck of a carrier....

That's actually a horrible anology. If someone fired airsoft ONLY, to the point where their skills were GM-level, and then picked up a real gun and shot in competition, they would be VERY competitive (since recoil management is the only " skill set, and experience " you can't replicate with airsoft).

The radio-control guy will probably not fare as well on the carrier deck!

Seriously, do you think there is ANY difference in what a shooter can do/see/feel/experience with a real gun, that they can't duplicate with airsoft (except during the time that the slide is moving)? If so, stop practicing using dry-fire. :cheers:

That said, I don't support the idea of USPSA being involved with running airsoft or .22lr matches. If individuals want to run them, or another organization wants to step up, that's fine.

....Future scenario: Why do they need real bullets? They'll be happy with their Airsoft toys....
...Do the words "Slippery Slope" mean anything???
... Every round ... shot ... brings us one step closer to the countries where airsoft IPSC is the only game in town....

People who think this are silly.

If you DONT believe this, then ask somebody from Australia, or England, or Japan how many guns they own, or how many IPSC matches they get to participate in a month.

Actually might have a match in Columbus, Ohio this winter. I know Michigan used to run matches several yrs ago. Its a good idea. Airsoft came about because those countries took the guns away. People didn't start shooting airsoft then the govt said "lets take the guns".

In the last match I shot I can say I pretty much put the idea that airsoft doesn't help with "real" uspsa to rest. I shot airsoft with an open airsoft gun and can go to my Open gun with no transitional period. Same with the 22. I would imagine that it would be alittle different with Iron sights.

For those who keep saying DVC..........are you dryfiring?? Practicing draws, reloads and everything else?? Wonder how many people realize how many GM's shoot 22's for practice. Its more than you think............

Airsoft is just a tool to help with Uspsa just like dryfiring. Airsoft makes it fun. I didn't mind dryfiring but I look forward to shooting airsoft. I live to far from the range and if I'm lucky I'll get to the range 1 time a week during the season but closer to 2x's a month. I honestly hope people keep ignoring it, it will help me in the match finishes :roflol::ph34r:

If you want to spend the money on bullets it will help you more than airsoft but I have better things to spend my money on than bullets.

I want to add that I would be against adding any airsoft to Uspsa. Matches can be ran using the same rules just with no connections to Uspsa.

I would like to see 22's added to Uspsa for Juniors only. We need to recruit and 22's are a cheap way for parents to get the kids involved.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

Actually might have a match in Columbus, Ohio this winter. I know Michigan used to run matches several yrs ago. Its a good idea. Airsoft came about because those countries took the guns away. People didn't start shooting airsoft then the govt said "lets take the guns".

Flyin

I am convinced. Airsoft USPSA replicates all aspects of USPSA except for the recoil managment. You develop the very sames skills, again, except for recoil managment. A GM airsofter would compare with a USPSA GM. Airsoft is cheaper and more convenient (shoot anywhere). It is safer-no lead issues, no one can possibly get hurt. Furthermore, USPSA would grow by leaps and bounds if we went exclusively to airsoft. The nationals could be held indoors-no weather issues. There is no rational argument whatsoever against USPSA going exclusively airsoft. None.

The above rings so true it is frightening (to me).

We are our own worst enemy.......

Edited by Woody Allen

Actually might have a match in Columbus, Ohio this winter.

Flyin' -- I know you've been doing postal matches but, when you get a "live fire" date set, let me know (preferably not a weeknight due to work/travel time). Is anybody designing a stage using Kyle's lawn tractor in the driveway again ...?

Seems to be a lot resistance, currently, to incorporating either .22 or airsoft into the current USPSA framework. I will NOT discuss that further. (All of you who have previously pounced all over Cy - and on anyone else who's raised the question - can save yourselves a repeat performance.)

However, I believe that there is a place for local airsoft leagues, who may wish to run under rules similar to USPSA, without seeking USPSA sanction. There's ample evidence to document the benefits of shooting airsoft for practice. There could be a place for inter-league competition via postal matches.

Indoor airsoft matches are especially attractive for those of us who live where we slog through 90+ straight days of gray/cold/ankle-deep slop every winter. No fun going to the range when your fingers freeze to the gun. That assumes you can get up/down the gravel hill to get into the range.

I dry fire almost every day. There are days when it's about as interesting as watching the grass grow. Blasting bio pellets into the yard is a whole lot more fun (I'll have a 20-acre practice bay once the soybeans get harvested). I have yet to find an airsoft gun that exactly duplicates the grip profile on my Caspian, but the Caspian-branded ones are somewhat close. A typical 250 round airsoft practice session costs a buck or two -- gas & pellets. What's not to like?

I'm up for a local league for the winter!

....If you DONT believe this, then ask somebody from Australia, or England, or Japan how many guns they own, or how many IPSC matches they get to participate in a month.

As Flyin' said, I'm pretty sure that the existence of airsoft guns and competitions were not deciding factors when a drive was made to disarm the people.

That's why I say those statements are silly. It's like saying wars will end because we have paintball fields (so the masses will be "content" to have "play war").