Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Use A Mag Well On Your Cdp Pistol?

Nick Weidhaas

Currently shooting a Colt Commercial 1911 built by Vic Tibbets. As it was built for carry, I did not have a mag well added. I did have the mag well beveled and Vic did a great job. Just curious if you find an add on mag well helps your reloads (are they faster?) I am on the fence as to if I want to put one on my carry gun (which I also shoot in IDPA/CDP), but my thought is that the mag well may help those reloads that are a little off center. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

Guest Larry Cazes

All 3 of my single Stack 1911s have Ed Brown Maxi Wells. Wouldn't be without one. It makes a major difference in the ease of reloads.

As it was built for carry, I did not have a mag well added.

Ken Hackathorn, on one of the Wilson videos, talks about the desirability of a mag funnel on a carry gun. And he does have a mag funnel on his carry gun. (So do I.) The quote, if I remember it correctly, went something like, "Some people say you don't need a mag funnel on a carry gun. You may be able to load the gun just as fast without a funnel on the range, but when someone's trying to kill you, you're pumping adrenaline and your hands are shaking, anything that makes it easier to get the new mag into the gun is a good thing."

On a combination carry/match gun, it's a no-brainer. Install the funnel.

If you can jam the mag in that tiny hole every time without error, then a magwell won't help much! But I don't know anyone who can do that! ;)

I used to shoot a Colt MkIV with an S&A magwell nicely blended to the frame. I didn't realize how much it helped until it went into the shop and I started shooting a Kimber w/o the add-on. It made a HUGE difference in both the overall speed of the reloads as well as lost time on reloads where I missed by just a little bit.

I have an S&A slim line version that I'm going to have fit to my Kimber as soon as I can get it to a buddy who will do the work for me (I'm not allowed to use tools!).

To me a mag well is indespensible in a competition single stack i wouldn't shoot one without it!

i also like them on my carry gun, but the added length can be a tiny problem, but generally not.

I would definitley go for it. S&A (smith & alexander) is about the best out there and have a fair price. www.brownells.com

Thanks for all the input. I guess it is worth trying for sure. At this point another $50 is not going to kill me considering what I've got into the pistol alreay ;) . Like Duane said, anything that helps you get the mag in the gun faster is a no brainer.

S&A looks to be the most popular. I do like the look of the Ed Brown. Hmmmm. Decisions...decisions.

Thanks again,

Nick

Since there are virtually no documented cases of any non-LEO ever reloading a handgun in a self defense scenario (well, except in the movies), I would say they are not generally needed on a carry gun. They do make the reloads easier on a game gun.

If you have a malfunction and live long enough to clear it, it might be a handy thing to be able to slap a fresh magazine into the gun as quickly as possible.

Can you show me a case where this happened ever? I know of one case where a non LEO reloaded his pistol during a gunfight. Gunfights don't happen that often and when they do, they are settled one way or the other with the rounds in the gun.

Besides, since I don't use a mag well, I manage to reload my pistol just fine in competition. It would probably be faster with one but not by enough time to make a difference. My mental mistakes cost me far more time then anything I would gain by having a magwell.

A magwell could help save some time and make up for a mental mistake, be it in competition or on the street in a life or death situation. Might not be any documented cases of reloading during a street fight, (other than LEO) but I'd sure like to have my magwell if I'm the first in one of those documented cases! ;)

BillD alias Tactical Bill

Oh baby, cinch up your girth and let's get going on this one.

"It would probably be faster with one but not by enough time to make a difference."

Help me understand your statement...

Magwells are good: BIG magwells are even better...

Edited by tightloop

BillD alias Tactical Bill

Oh baby, cinch up your girth and let's get going on this one.

"It would probably be faster with one but not by enough time to make a difference."

Help me understand your statement...

Magwells are good: BIG magwells are even better...

I have lost and won local matches by less than a second. I just finished second in my class in a Regional Championship by .93 of a second. However, I screwed up by at least 5 seconds on one stage. So I should have won my class handily. A mag well might have helped but if I had completed my COF's without the mental screwups that I made I would have been much better off. Let's put it this way, if I get to the point that a mag well will make the difference, I may consider it. Naw, strike that, I hate they way they look.

But then, you must realize, I shoot IDPA from an IWB leather holster and IWB mag pouches with hardball equivalent reloads. I probably won't ever make master but with luck I will make expert with the equipment I choose to run. I might even shoot the classifier this year. :)

Loop, No one gives you cute nicknames when you run down IDPA, which you do on many of your posts. But you feel free to give me one? :angry:

Guest Larry Cazes

For me.....The confidence gained by having a much smoother speed reload due to the well is much more valuable then the 1 second gained during the load. This is a sport after all and I can use any help I can get! :P

Larry

I use a Wilson Combat magwell in CDP and ESP. You cannot really tell it is on either STI compared to the Dawson Magwell on my Para (my Para is not IDPA legal :D ). It does give me a smoother reload in IDPA in my opinion. With the Wilson you do not have to modify the gun because it slips under the grips. I drimmeled the back of the grips so they fit like they are supposed to.