Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you force yourself to dry fire?

Cy Soto

I think forcing your self to do any thing is not productive. Its all about deciding what you want. or don't want . I don't want to be mediocre . so I like dryfireing

In an attempt to help you find motivation with a slap to the face "If you don't like to dry fire you must like being mediocre"

no its not my most favorite thing to do, but I like the reward. and so can you

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still struggling with this as well. I realize that I will be stuck in B-land unless I smarten up. I have the skills- they need to be refined. Competition and my desire to win will help motivate me.... I know it!

When I beat you in a match, maybe that'll help the motivation. :ph34r:

I find motivation in various places. Seeing the videos that better shooters post and wanting to get there is a big one for me. Also, people have started to notice my improvement and comment on it, which is a great positive feedback loop.

I was talking to a guy on the phone once, who said he didn't like to dry fire.

Some time later, he told me, "When I said that, the best thing you could have told me, was, well, you'll never be any good then."

be

Try making it so that it doesn't suck as much. 10 minutes ... tops ... use clock timer. Do it once a day every day leading up to your next pistol match the week before the match. If "all of a sudden" your match scores improve, then you've found some motivation to move up to "A" class.

BUUUUT, make sure your short/simple dryfire routine is a good one. One session do draws. Another on target transitions. Another on reloads. Another on position set up and egress.

BUUUUT, make sure your short/simple dryfire routine is a good one. One session do draws. Another on target transitions. Another on reloads. Another on position set up and egress.

I agree; I have found that this works best for me too. I used to practice four or five different things during each session and I noticed that I was trying to hurry through everything in order to get it done quickly. This caused that in my effort to "speed things up" I was ingraining mistakes into my practice. By working on one thing (two at the most) in each session I can make sure that every move was 100% correct (Perfect Practice).

The best way to describe what I was doing is to compare it to learning a new piece of music... In the beginning I was trying to learn a whole score which resulted in many mistakes and slow learning vs. trying to master a few bars at a time.

If you want to get good...10 minutes a day ain't gonna cut it.

Sorry.

I believe that.

WHEN I dryfire, I usually follow the principle of 10@ +.2, then 10@ +.1, then 10@par and 10@ -.1.

10 minutes would get me approximately one good routine. I may take one drill just to get in the groove, so 10 minutes won't do for me.

On the other hand, I usually do 6-7 drills and spend about 90 minutes. So, just the idea of spending the next 90 minutes dryfiring, which can truly suck, makes me want to not get up from my seat. The previously mentioned diary has been a help to me, with date and current par time. That keeps me honest.

Nonetheless, dryfire is not my favourite. :sick: