Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What we need!

kurtm

55 Euros, what a rip. (how much is that anyway?) :unsure:

Doug

1,4722 x 55 = $80.97

Everything gun related items here in Finland is much expensive than in USA. :(

Even rifles made in Finland are cheaper over there in USA than in Finland. :surprise:

I had just received my Brownells case a few days prior to the MS 3 gun match. It holds my AR,pistol and 26" barrelled Winchester SX3 just fine. But.....we got ALOT of rain and so did my guns. I'm gonna try the spray on stuff and hope next time everything inside does not get as wet. My other complaint about the Brownells case is that it does not have a shoulder strap but rather back pack straps only. the attachment points for the backpack straps also work poorly for attaching a shoulder strap.

I remember talking to a shooter named Jamie McReynolds at Blue Ridge match this year. He said he had a bag in the works that was gonna be waterproof with a rubber coated type bottom that would hold a 26" barreled shotty and an AR along with a pistol and some other gear. His company is called Xcc which I think stood for Xtreme Competition Components or something to that effect.

Bullitt, could you post a link to that case? Can't find it.

I'll go out on a limb and put out some info. I have not been able to shoot this year at all. I think one match is all I have made :angry2: So being that I have had copious amounts of free time I have taken up sewing. Yeah, laugh it up but I have made myself some pretty cool tactical gear that's different from the rest. Just dicking around really.

So I have been working on a 3 gun bag for myself for next year. One that's waterproof and pretty much you could lay in the mud and not worry about it too much. A big issue is how to seal it up.... zippers leak. I have come up with an idea that I think will work but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag for obvious reasons.

One design I have already made is a covert bag that can be shoulder or back packed. I think my 3 gun bag will be the same way. My idea on the final bag is the outside will be Crye Multicam softshell with a gortex liner. I know, it ain't going to be cheap.

For the mods.... I'm not making these to sell just thought I would put the idea out there.

You guys be cool, hope to see some of you next year.

Chris C

ETA: When it's finished I'll get some picks up. I took my covert bag with rifle inserted into the shower with me and it was dry as a bone. We'll see how it turns out.

Edited by Chris Conley

I'll go out on and put out some info. I have not been able to shoot this year at all. I think one match is all I have made :angry2: So being that I have had copious amounts of free time I have taken up sewing. Yeah, laugh it up but I have made myself some pretty cool tactical gear that's different from the rest. Just dicking around really.

So I have been working on a 3 gun bag for myself for next year. One that's waterproof and pretty much you could lay in the mud and not worry about it too much. A big issue is how to seal it up.... zippers leak. I have come up with an idea that I think will work but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag for obvious reasons.

One design I have already made is a covert bag that can be shoulder or back packed. I think my 3 gun bag will be the same way. My idea on the final bag is the outside will be Crye Multicam softshell with a gortex liner. I know, it ain't going to be cheap.

For the mods.... I'm not making these to sell just thought I would put the idea out there.

You guys be cool, hope to see some of you next year.

Chris C

ETA: When it's finished I'll get some picks up. I took my covert bag with rifle inserted into the shower with me and it was dry as a bone. We'll see how it turns out.

Sewing is a great skill to have-be proud. I love Multicam- I have a great pack from Kifaru in Multicam-it's the right weight and everything. This project sounds real interesting. Sorry you haven't been able to shoot. Carrying guns around in the mud is no joke.

It's been fun and frustrating all at the same time. It threw my wife for a loop that I learned pretty fast being that she is a avid stitch bitch herself. I was looking this weekend for a commercial machine but even a used one is a chunk of change. Once I get the final product complete it will probably go to a friend down at Ft. Campbell and I'll make myself another one. I ordered enough material to make 4 of them.

Chris C.

Chris, I'm interested in seeing the gear bag, as long as it's not w/ you holding it in the shower...

Chris, I'm interested in seeing the gear bag, as long as it's not w/ you holding it in the shower...

Yeah, I knew that was coming. R&D for gear can get kinda freaky sometimes. :goof:

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

I got a Denim and Lace sewing machine from Amazon when I was sewing my girls dance costumes-worked for heavy cloth. Probably would handle three layers of Multicam-probably not four or really thick seams. I got some great Kevlar Spectra thread from CountyComm in Santa Clara when I was sewing gear stuff-by hand-they also have great cord ends. Ballet shoe thread is awesomely strong-comes in black, white and the perfect tactical -Pink. :) Actually the container for ballet thread is perfect to throw in pack for emergency repairs-comes with two needles, line cutter on tube. Immensely strong.Love to see some pictures when you are done.

My goto thread has been #69 bonded nylon so far. It's been really hard to find in the small spools here lately. I have a couple of 1950's era machines that have been rebuilt and love them but they tend to be lacking enough punch when it comes to fabrics like 750D Cordura and higher. Alot of hand stitching around the corners. I have been doing some reading on waterproof fabrics and they are a different animal all together. I'm off for the next couple of days and if the phone would quit ringing for a couple hours I'll get this thing done.

Thanks for the tip on the shoe thread. Next time out I'll try and find some. What size needle that that stuff? Currently I'm using #16's and #18's.

Chris C.

KURT,

Got a word for you "neoprene", after all duck hunting waders are made out of it and the hunters stay dry ? :rolleyes:

And most of these waders go bad when a seam opens at thetop of the boot. If you can find a serious duck hunter, they always have a set of leaky at the boot seam waders which they do not trust but paid too much for to toss. With just a tad imagination with velcro or a trip to your local shoe repair shop, you can have the material for each leg made into a gun bag or sleeve. My last pair is now a duck blind bag which cost more than a commericai version but is way better.

Edited by Charles Bond

I've been looking for a case to carry a broken-down AR carbine in my truck or boat, or to strap on my motorcycle. It would need separate compartments for the upper and lower. I like to have a long gun along on trips, but it needs to fit in a fairly small space. Being 'discrete' is a plus, too. Anyone know of such a thing?

My goto thread has been #69 bonded nylon so far. It's been really hard to find in the small spools here lately. I have a couple of 1950's era machines that have been rebuilt and love them but they tend to be lacking enough punch when it comes to fabrics like 750D Cordura and higher. Alot of hand stitching around the corners. I have been doing some reading on waterproof fabrics and they are a different animal all together. I'm off for the next couple of days and if the phone would quit ringing for a couple hours I'll get this thing done.

Thanks for the tip on the shoe thread. Next time out I'll try and find some. What size needle that that stuff? Currently I'm using #16's and #18's.

Chris C.

Comes with two needles. I am not sure what size they are, but they are 1 7/8 inches long and the needle holes will take 90lb Maratac Kevlar thread. I get them here Bunheads Stitch kit. Go to pointe shoe accessories and search for Bunheads stitch kit. R+D can consume some hours. If you call Janice at Kifaru-she'll probably tell you what kind of machines they use.

I've been looking for a case to carry a broken-down AR carbine in my truck or boat, or to strap on my motorcycle. It would need separate compartments for the upper and lower. I like to have a long gun along on trips, but it needs to fit in a fairly small space. Being 'discrete' is a plus, too. Anyone know of such a thing?

Depending on your stock, a tennis racket case might do.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on your stock, a tennis racket case might do.

My buddy carries his 14.5" carbine (16"OAL) in a soft guitar case. Nobody around here steals guitars. Just don't ask him to play :roflol:

Hurley

Check out the Larue Covert case 615-00X in Red and Blue it doesn't look like a gun case at all.

Larue

Link to more pictures