Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CURIOUS ABOUT POF MUZZLE BREAKS

RaymondMillbrae

Hey folks,

I am getting my POF upper any day now, and was curious about something.

Does anyone have any feedback on the stock muzzle break that comes with their rifles?

If folks own POF rifles, have yall kept the muzzle break on the rifle, or swapped it out for something else? (Something more effective).

Just curious about the design of their breaks, as well as their effectiveness.

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond

Hey folks,

Does anyone have any feedback on the stock muzzle break that comes with their rifles?

If folks own POF rifles, have yall kept the muzzle break on the rifle, or swapped it out for something else? (Something more effective).

Thanks.

You can do a lot better. I use a SAW Custom and have found it to be about as good as it gets. Call Henry Avant at 478-986-4156 since he has no web site. In the alternative, I have a lightly used one I took off to attach a suppressor. You can have it for $76 shipped and if you are not happy with it, send it back in 10 days for a full refund. I have not listed it else where since I just found it today.

Hey folks,

Thanks.

My POFs didn't come with a brake, but a flash suppressor. If they are actually coming with brakes now I'd use it as is before buying one. I've used the Rolling Thunder on mine and it works well.

Flash suppressor?

Umm...that's kinda illegal here in CA.

Us Californians can only have compensators.

As a matter of fact, POF will not even sell a complate rifle to us CA folks. (Nor lowers).

I purchased my upper from them, and had to purchase my POF lower from a CA-luvin dealer elsewhere.

o203082647.jpg

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

My POF upper came with a a kind of flash hider/comp hybrid. First thing I did was take it off. I've experimented with a number of comps. The piston system does have a bit more come back than direct gas systems, so I've been on a quest to find something to tame it.

Right now I seem to be settled on a Benny Cooley comp. I also recently added a JP light weight buffer (full length rifle butt stock and buffer tube). AND, turning the piston around so the small holes are forward (supressor mode) seems to have softened it up quite a bit. I don't think I can get it much better than it is now, but I'm still open to suggestions. I'm anxiously awaiting Pad Kelley's next article on comps.

PS: Insider info: I saw Pat using a DNTC comp at a match last weekend, but don't tell anyone I told you! B)

Flash suppressor?

As a matter of fact, POF will not even sell a complate rifle to us CA folks. (Nor lowers).

I purchased my upper from them, and had to purchase my POF lower from a CA-luvin dealer elsewhere.

o203082647.jpg

If your in Millbrae, you really need to come to Richmond and talk to us…

If your in Millbrae, you really need to come to Richmond and talk to us.

Who is "us".

Sorry, but I failed the correspondense course in mind reading. :rolleyes:

As for the comp, I have been looking at a Rolling Thunder, or maybe a J. Miculek. Both of these beasties are supposed to be the very best.

But let me throw a wrench into the UPSPA 3-gun gears. I am hearing that there is talk about banning compensators on 3-gun TACTICAL DIVISION rifles.

Is this correct?

I am planning on stooting in the TACTICAL DIVISION, and I would hate to have my rifle set-up in a way that I will eventually need to re-modify.

As it is, POF is permanently attaching their break onto the rifle before shipping it to CA. But I can always ship them a compensator to install, instead of their own brand.

I would ship them an SJC Titan and have it permanently installed. I've shot many a POF with a Titan and it really calms a piston gun down. The guy that designed the Titan....Erik Lund,shot a POF for a few seasons. Now he is shooting for Sig and shoots the 556 rifle.....with a Titan. The 556 was pretty herky jerky without a brake. The 556 with only the Titan added is one of the softest 223 rifles I have ever shot. The Titan is truly an amazing comp.

Oh.....and comps aren't going anywhere in the Tactical division. :rolleyes:

But let me throw a wrench into the UPSPA 3-gun gears. I am hearing that there is talk about banning compensators on 3-gun TACTICAL DIVISION rifles.

Is this correct?

Raymond I do not know what you heard or who you heard it from but in USPSA there is always someone talking about something. I have not heard any discussion from any member of the BOD who believes we should ban muzzle brakes in tactical. If such were to be seriously discussed it would face two immediate problems:

1 A huge outcry from the membership currently shooting tactical since at least 99% of them are using comps.

2. It is very difficult to in many ways distinguish between a comp and a flash suppressor. Many flash suppressors have some slight braking effects and many comps suppress the flash somewhat. No one in their right mind wants to try and decide what things that attach to the barrel are in fact flash suppressors and which are comps.

Flash suppressor?

o203082647.jpg

That is not true any more. If your rifle is registered as an AW in Ca. you can put whatever you want on it. All the federal ban rules no longer apply as the ban no longer exists. If your rifle is not registered then no comment.

If your in Millbrae, you really need to come to Richmond and talk to us.

Who is "us".

Is this correct?

I am planning on stooting in the TACTICAL DIVISION, and I would hate to have my rifle set-up in a way that I will eventually need to re-modify.

Where does this stuff come from? THERE ARE NO PLANS TO BAN COMPS IN TACTICAL.

Chris,

I heard on the Internet that USPSA was going to require the following in Tactical:

16 gauge pistol grip shotguns

.44 Auto Mag pistols

27.5 round magazines for the rifle

thigh holsters for the shotgun and shoulder hoslters for the pistols

helmets

Red dot sights on the rifle

Is it true?

One final note. You are not going to win or lose because you have a Brand X comp on your rifle. Bennie Cooley won a Nationals with no comp! I was there and can say that he won because he shot the best.

One final note. You are not going to win or lose because you have a Brand X comp on your rifle. Bennie Cooley won a Nationals with no comp! I was there and can say that he won because he shot the best.

That's about the truest thng I've read around here for a long time!

A note on the Titan comp. When working as an RO I HATE them! If the shooter is shooting to right or left I get a blast of gasses in the face! Not to mention a muzzle blast that makes my head throb even when double plugged! I say we ban them. Call it the "RO Hearing and Sanity Protection Act"! :wacko:

Quote "A note on the Titan comp. When working as an RO I HATE them! If the shooter is shooting to right or left I get a blast of gasses in the face! Not to mention a muzzle blast that makes my head throb even when double plugged! I say we ban them. Call it the "RO Hearing and Sanity Protection Act"!"

Comps make it a pain to RO sometimes, but I still use one on rifle and shotgun. How about we make everybody shoot Noveski Flaming Pigs! No gas to the top or sides, everything towards the front. I think I'll see if I can set up a dealership. :cheers:

Doug

post-8887-1254856044_thumb.jpg

Quote "A note on the Titan comp. When working as an RO I HATE them! If the shooter is shooting to right or left I get a blast of gasses in the face! Not to mention a muzzle blast that makes my head throb even when double plugged! I say we ban them. Call it the "RO Hearing and Sanity Protection Act"!"

Comps make it a pain to RO sometimes, but I still use one on rifle and shotgun. How about we make everybody shoot Noveski Flaming Pigs! No gas to the top or sides, everything towards the front. I think I'll see if I can set up a dealership. :cheers:

Doug

But do not stop there. You absolutely have to have the XM193F ammo to go with it. This 55 grain ammo will not only chrono at 3300fps out of a 16 inch barrel, it is guaranteed to burn down the props on any stage you trash if you just get close enough to them toward the end of the stage.

Doug

I had a flaming pig on an AR pistol that I sold. It was a pretty solid unit, but a lot of weight out on the end of the barrel. Cut down the noise, though, which is why I had it.

No, I use a comp, and they're here to stay. They are all loud for the RO, but that Titan is the loudest, from my experience.

• 4 weeks later...
They are all loud for the RO, but that Titan is the loudest, from my experience.

That's because compensators turn recoil into noise, therefore the loudest comp works the best! :roflol:

Erik

This is fascinating post and Erik sums it up in a nutshel kinda of laughingly. But I think in the context of previous posts and what is legal for USPA there is some sense to it. IPSC legal rifle comps are severely restricted so only so much you can do. Most folks have associated with least amount of lateral concussion with Can type Although a lot of Cans are too big for USPSA.. Most lateral concussion comes from simple gilled designs like Jerry Miculeks. Of course the best way to decrease sound is with a suppressor but Fed laws are flukey there and probably loony tunes in some states. Not to mention likely never legal in USPSA major or minor competion although I think it would be fun.

Our company learned after countless experimental comps there a LOT of was to play with the gas (pressure and blast I shoud say). We took a page from Porshce engine design to have multiple chambers resonate, eddie and dampen in multiaxis direction to get a distinctive sound. We also figured from our high pressure pistol days of 9x25 when Robbie Leatham lead the charge to comps that worked best with lots of gas pressure and duration.that baffles were key to absorb nasty shock from those 175-190 PF loads.

We think a Muliaxial chamber allows the gas to vent in multiple directions at lower speed, still taking advantage of pressure to stabilize the gun. The ports go out at about 90 degrees not gilled or ported back variety. There are “baffles that aid in this mixing process. We think although the gilled ones work well, they require high gas volume and high pressure to develop countering thrust, With this you get lots of noise and concussion. With the multiaxial design and baffles you can get a relatively quiet brake that works well.

So the bottom line is Loudness and Brake efficiency do not have to go together.

Edited by E-Tac CNC

Chris,

I heard on the Internet that USPSA was going to require the following in Tactical:

16 gauge pistol grip shotguns

.44 Auto Mag pistols

27.5 round magazines for the rifle

thigh holsters for the shotgun and shoulder hoslters for the pistols

helmets

Red dot sights on the rifle

Is it true?

OMG !!! :o:roflol::roflol:

We have to start a thread about this !!! :roflol::roflol:

OH and that Titan is loud as hell, get in a barrel with that thing and your liver hurts, but it works

as advertised and then some !!! :cheers:

Edited by P.Pres