Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 vs EAA/Tanfo Limited...worth 2x the money?

jmleenz

How does the CZ tactical sport fall in this debate?

Feels a little fatter in the grip and is HEAVY... other then that very similar.

Come on, I tote it around so it can't be that heavy! Then again, Rick is going to get it all cut up. Maybe I will like it even more then. :P

Mine tips the scales at ~3# with an unloaded mag. It is a bit harder to drive, but soaks up recoil. They're not really that big, either.

My TS will not feed sharper-angle TC-style bullets with any degree of reliability, but has been 100% (I'd guess I'm around the 2k~2.5k mark right now, got it this summer) with more rounded FP profiles.

My entire Limited rig ran somewhere in the $2300-ish range, IIRC. (Gun, parts, labor, 4x 140mm 20-rounders, belt, pouches, Ghost). There's been some additions since I first got it, but it should still be under the $2600 mark.

Now, are 2011s nice? You betcha.

Are they worth it? That depends entirely on YOU. If a 2011 suits you better than a CZ or Tanfoglio, it's worth it. If they all work about the same for you, then it might not be worth some small perceived advantage. It just depends.

My understanding is that .40 caliber Tangfolglios run best on very long loaded ammo - I'm pretty sure Henning is running longer than my STI with the same bullet - and I'm at 1.220".

I know a few guys who run standard length ammo in their STI's, and they run fine. I run long because of my powder choice.

That said, I think you can do good work with either pistol - but if you're not going to reload, get a 9mm and shoot production...

I have shot the Tanfo GoldTeam V8 in open and the CZ75 TS in Limited. I will describe the GoldTeam as a Tank, it was 100% reliable and as accurate as anthing I have shot. The gun is heavy but the slide is light it cycles faster than your brain and the heft keeps it flat.

The CZ75 TS is also 100% reliable mags hold 20. Again this gun will out cycle an Edge unless the slide has been lightened considerably. The TS will not take extended length OAL other than that I think its a great machine, very accurate and a great trigger right out of the box.

I currently shoot STI/SVI in both limited and Open. This choice was made to keep all my guns for competition in the same platform. One ghost holster fits them all.

The only real advantage in the STI/SVI is that you can get parts everywhere and lots of good smiths can work on them. If you are accustomed to the hindged trigger (Tanfo, CZ, Glock etc) then go CZ/Tanfo, if you are good on a sliding trigger then go 1911/2011. Since I went STI/SVI I have a smith, when I was shooting Tanfo/CZ I did not know a smith.

He is a nice guy and loves taking my money.

Nope, Tanfoglios generally run lengths equivalent to what we feed STIs. With 10mm mags you can load pretty long but 1.175-1.180 I believe is where Henning runs his 40's last time I heard. I run 1.180 in my STI and my father runs 1.180 in his Tanfoglio and has zero issues. You can also run short OALs with a Tanfoglio but you'll want to run the 40mm mags which have a spacer. Also regarding the "Glocked" brass the EGW U die has worked fine for three people I know with Limited Tanfoglios no through sizer needed in my experience.

My understanding is that .40 caliber Tangfolglios run best on very long loaded ammo - I'm pretty sure Henning is running longer than my STI with the same bullet - and I'm at 1.220".

I know a few guys who run standard length ammo in their STI's, and they run fine. I run long because of my powder choice.

That said, I think you can do good work with either pistol - but if you're not going to reload, get a 9mm and shoot production...

The stock V8s are a little heavy. Cutting off the dust cover ala Grauffel makes the gun handle WAY better. That front piece is right at 2 oz so it moves the balance point back to where a Limited Tanfoglio is and the gun becomes much faster on transitions. As for keeping it flat... I've shot 2 V8s with this done both shot incredibly flat and smooth with 7625.

I have shot the Tanfo GoldTeam V8 in open and the CZ75 TS in Limited. I will describe the GoldTeam as a Tank, it was 100% reliable and as accurate as anthing I have shot. The gun is heavy but the slide is light it cycles faster than your brain and the heft keeps it flat.

There seems to be mixed feelings on what guns run better with standard length ammo. At this point I don't shoot enough to justify reloading and just want something that will feed reliably with factory ammo now, and be there down the road when I do reload.

Will the Tanfog limited feed factory length ammo as well as say a glock or xd?

jmleenz> Factory ammo in a Tanfo will work very well and will be reliable. But if you reload and use the same OAL of factory ammo it will be nose dive city. Factory ammo has a nice straight case and the rounds do not get hung up on one another. When you reload the cases have a varying amount of "Belly" at the base and this inconsistency in case straightness causes the nose dive issues in the Tanfo guns.

If you have the money to spend, just get a an STI/SVI. There are WAY more places to get aftermarket parts and just about any gunsmith can work on them. Even though the Tanfo guns are cheaper you are pretty much on your own when it comes to repairs, upgrades, and things like that. So if you are not willing to fix and tinker on your own gun I would suggest not getting a Tanfo. Both gun types have the same performance capabilities so I think that is a moot point in comparing them.

I myself shoot a Tanfo and love it. But I am also very self sufficient on working on my own gun to make it work the way I want it to.

"Even though the Tanfo guns are cheaper you are pretty much on your own when it comes to repairs, upgrades, and things like that. So if you are not willing to fix and tinker on your own gun I would suggest not getting a Tanfo."

I don't agree with that statement, there are capable gunsmith's out there to perform work on Tanfoglio's and several companies making aftermarket parts. People are not on their own when they own a Tanfoglio.

Rich

Also Tanfolio's will run on factory length ammo reliably.

RIIID> With me being an owner and avid user of an EAA/Tanfo I think I would know the "Situation" on support and parts availability. Sure there are aftermarket parts available for the Tanfo guns, but what is available is not even a drop in the bucket compared to a SVI/STI based pistol. For example, currently there isn’t an aftermarket rear sight available for the Limited pistols. Oh yeah, if you need to buy just a slide you are hosed because EAA/Tanfo does not sell just a slide. You can also get warranty work done on your EAA/Tanfo gun, but that also comes with a nice 6 month turn around time on the work. Yeah I could spend a mint on shipping to send my EAA/Tanfo off to a gunsmith that is competent with tuning it up. Or I could drive into town and have a choice of local gunsmiths to do the work on an SVI/STI. Alternately you can simply teach yourself how to work on the gun so you don’t have to send it anywhere, which is what I did.

On the front end the EAA/Tanfo guns are cheaper. But that is pretty much offset by the other things that do become a pain in the ass down the road. Since there are not many EAA/Tanfo shooters at most clubs you are pretty much forced to figure out problems on your own. Verses walking up to the multitude of SVI/STI shooters at the match and asking what can be done to solve XYZ problem you are having.

With all that said, I still love shooting my EAA Witness Limited and don't see myself switching to an STI/SVI pistol any time soon. It goes "Boom" when I pull the trigger and is capable of a performance level that is still far beyond my skill level will probably ever be. What more can you ask for really?

I run a match in .40 for limited and load with standard rcbs dies and have had zero feeding problems with range pick up brass ( mostly from police glocks ) I have run both plated and cast bullets at longer oals and factory ammo without problems. With Hennings pads and guts I load 21 in the mag so I don't think I give anything up in capacity either.

I think they are the best bang for the buck our sport has

Mike