Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Custom II

joshua79109

Took the Kimber Custom II to the range today and put 200 rounds down range. Zero failures - it ran excellent. Felt great in my hand. Looks like I'm going to have to get some .45 reloading gear.

This is my first 1911 style pistol and my first .45. I need to get some gear for it... to start with I need mags. What mags go best with this pistol.

Anything else I should know about this pistol or any other helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Here is some info about the pistol:

Model: Custom II

Caliber: .45 ACP

Features:

* Full 5-inch barrel and steel frame.

* Match grade frame, slide, barrel, bushing and chamber.

* Custom features standard; extended thumb safety, high ride beavertail grip safety, beveled magazine well and slightly extended magazine release and slide release.

* Match grade barrel is machined from a single piece of solid steel for accuracy and long life.

Specifications: Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.25

Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 38

Length (inches): 8.7

Magazine capacity: 7

Recoil spring (pounds): 16.0

Full length guide rod

Frame: Material: Steel

Finish: Matte black

Width (inches): 1.28

Slide: Material: Steel

Finish: Matte black

Front serrations

Barrel: Length (inches): 5

Steel, match grade

Stainless steel match grade bushing

Twist rate (left hand): 16

Sights: Fixed low profile

Radius (inches): 6.8

Grips: Black synthetic

Double diamond

Trigger: Aluminum Match Grade

Factory setting (approx. pounds): 4.0 - 5.0

DSCF2717.jpg

DSCF2718.jpg

DSCF2713.jpg

DSCF2715.jpg

DSCF2716.jpg

Been running the same gun, for almost two years now in IDPA and a little bit in S/S, shoots just like yours...I've learned to trust the gun , that to carry it too.

I use the ACT mags, after a year I replaced the mag sprigs with wolff

can't even guese how many rounds through it, at least 7000

I have an older Custom Target II which is basically the same gun as yours other than it has a match barrel and target rear sights. I added a Dawson FO front and have probably run 75K rounds through it.

Since I was using a Kydex holster I wore the finish totally off the gun... now it's hard chromed:)

My daily carry is a Kimber Pro Carry II... which is an alloy 4" look alike for your gun. They all shoot better than their owner.

BTW-- I don't think you can beat Wilson Combat mags..... or those from Tripp Research.

Edited by MichiganShootist

For my Kimber, I have both the Wilsons and the McCromick (Power 10's) 10 rounders (for L-10)

I like the McCormick mags better. They both feed 100%, but the way I smack magazines in, the Wilsons kill my hands. Mine don't have any pads on the buttom, the McCormicks do.

I just started shooting Single Stack IPSC with my Custom II and it runs 100% as well.

I use and recommend the Wilson 47D magazines. I also through a Heinie Slant Pron race cut rear and a Dawson Precision .100" front.

Congrats on your new piece. Good luck and have fun.

I really like my Custom II. I've added a Kimber magwell, vz grips and Dawson FO front sight w/Heinie rear. I have both the Chip McCormick Powermags (5) and Wilson Elite Tactical mags (3). Both are reliable in my gun but the Wilson's are much easier to seat when loaded to capacity so if I were to buy more, it would be the Wilson ETMs. Both are high quality however.

I used a Kimber TLE II for the first six months I shot Single Stack Division. It's about the same as yours, but the TLE comes with front strap checking and meprolight night sights. This is what I did to mine:

• Added a S&A magwell.
  • Changed out the grips -probably more cosmetic than anything else, but the scallop relief on the left grip panel helped with pressing the mag release button.
  • Experimented with different weight recoil and mainsprings until the gun would quickly and naturally return to point of aim after a shot. 12.5 lb recoil and 18 lb mainspring is what I settled on.
  • Added a memory bump to the grip safety since I prefer a high hold, and that sometime would not always depress the GS enough to disengage the firing pin

safety.

For your gun, if it was mine, I would do the above and also add grip tape to the front strap.

As for mags, I've had good luck with Chip McCormick magazines. Also have a few Tripp Cobramags, and they work fine as well.

Good luck!

Tripp research 8 round mags

Mag well techwell, s&a, or the new svi one

Dawson front sight.

I just put an SVI tri glade trigger on mine and really like it

Comptac holster

and bladetech or safariland mag pouches.

cr speed belt

The only thing that I would add is to regularly check your slide stop and extractor. These are the MIM parts that others have reported to have breakages but I personally have not had any issues. The only issues I ever had was the stock Kimber extractor tends to lose tension. Easily replaced. This is what I did over the years. Sorry about the bad pics.

DSC03207.jpg

I eventually got sick of the grip saftey, so . . .

DSC03206.jpg

What weight bullet runs best out of your Kimber Custom II?

Thanks

I have been running Missouri Bullet Co's 230gr "Softball" LRN with 3.8 grs of Clays. Makes major with room to spare. Extremely soft shooting and not too smokey.

No matter which you go with, I would recommend sticking to round nose bullets. Some flat nose and semi-wadcutters have been known to cause FTF's in some 1911s. Your results may vary.

Nice pistol. I have basicly the same gun as my carry gun ( older Classic Custom). I have added a S&A magwell, Cocabolo double diamond grips, grip tape on the front strap and exchanged the thumb safety for one with a small pad that is not extended. I have also played with the recoil spring and mainspring weights. These are just things that I like on my pistols though. I use Wilson mags also.

Hurley

I like the McCormick mags better. They both feed 100%, but the way I smack magazines in, the Wilsons kill my hands. Mine don't have any pads on the buttom, the McCormicks do.

How can you have Wilson mags without base pads? The removable/thick plastic/metal baseplate is part of the design.