Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chopsticks

JimmyZip

I was at work today, and a coworker was trying to pound out a brass pin that was part of a sculpture. He didn't want to use a punch and marr the surface, and I ran out to my truck and pulled a pair of chopsticks from take-out sushi from my glove box. Worked like a charm. So that got me thinking, and I checked and they fit both a 9mm and .40 barrel just fine. They are really well suited for the task and I have probably a dozen in my glove box at any time.

He was able to tap out that pin and they held up pretty well.

Just a thought if you need one for pistol.

JZ

Do the cheapo disposables work? I'd think the soft wood of the ones you split into two chopsticks would be too soft, and that plastic might chip/break with a hammer blow.

Bamboo chopsticks are the best for eating with. Their stiff and tough wood probably would make for a great squib rod.

Edited by kevin c

I've been taking one or two chopsticks with me shooting for some time. I don't think I'd use them as a squib rod tho. I usually use them to help remove the firing pin stop on a 1911 or slide cover plate on a glock or to hold the firing pin down while replacing a firing pin stop. They also work well for pushing the extractor hook into its hole to remove it from a 1911. I also use them when cleaning guns to help scrape off stubborn burnt powder.

Edited by Remy

• 1 month later...
I usually carry a couple squibrods with me to my favourite Asian restaurant. They thought it was a great idea.

:lol:

Seriously, never thought of using chopsticks to clean guns, I just burn through dozens and dozens of q-tips.

Roman,

You should try soy sauce as bore cleaner as well.

They do freak out a little at the sushi place when I take off my shoes, sit at the little table and start disassembling my glock 24.

Jack