Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over Confident And Coasting...

Ron Ankeny

You would think I would be well beyond repeating decisions that are obviously stupid. Beware the trap of coasting when you think you have it all sewed up. The pitfalls and snares in slowing down can be as bad as or worse than going too fast.

I went to a match yesterday for the express purpose of shooting the classifier so I could get my M card in Production. It might seem silly or vain to some folks, but I have set a personal goal of making M class in all five divisions. I guess we all have our own agenda.

I only needed to shoot a 70% to move up to M class. To make a long story short, I consciously slowed down and…well, I probably won’t be moving up with that classifier. The time was too slow and USPSA is sure to assign a B flag and throw it out of the mix.

Even though I blew the opportunity to reach my goal, I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything. My failure confirmed what I already knew. I need shoot my own game, call the shots, and the time will be what it is. For me, time is determined by visual inputs. There is a balance between visual acceptability and risk. Turning our vision up or down is acceptable under certain circumstances, but the act of trying to consiously manipulate time, either faster or slower, is a losing proposition.

I knew I could easily perform the required task, but I didn't trust myself to just shoot. What on earth was I thinking?

Amen brother Ron.

Had a similar experience at my last match.

I was high on achieving a MAJOR goal in my shooting and was so relaxed I made some silly mistakes and was in danger of losing the match.

I got tricked into thinking simple is easy.

Shooting is simple, that does not mean it is easy.

The good news is that I did not get inner-emotional as I have in the past. I caught the slip in time and got my ego out of the way, got my lazy ass in gear and salvaged the match.

It can/will happen to anyone at anytime.

Does humble pie have carbs? :)

SA

I hear you Ron. I found this out at the FGN this year. For the first two days I was trying to gear back and get my hits. Long story made short, I shot horrible for the first two days of the match and the first stage of the last day (the dark house....) After that, I threw caution to the wind and opened up. Shot some of the best stages of my life that day. So, the lesson learned is that you need to be able to lose yourself when you shoot, and that you are only a vessel being guided by the gun. "You've already shot the match. You're only there to see how you shot." :) This has been said before, but once you free yourself of all thoughts and limits, and are just in a state of pure awareness, anything is possible.

Guest Larry Cazes

Ron, I couldn't agree more! I have been in this game for about 8 months shooting L10 and lately have been trying to get out of D class. My average was about 39.5% going into the weekend. We shot with a club (richmond hotshots) here in northern cali for the first time this weekend and I'm finally feeling like im settling in and just shooting without worrying too much about the outcome. We shot CM99-48, Tight Squeeze, and I finished top in L10 for this stage. I'm pretty sure this will bump me up into C class finally. Before the last few matches, I have definitely spent way too much time looking at how others shoot and not just trusting in my own abillities. I think I'm finally shooting as me and not trying to emulate the A-GM shooters that I see.

drift mode on..

ron,

if you want your M card in all five divisions, save some time and get your GM in open then the rest will be M's after that... :D

drift mode off

never forget Bubba's Tips:

BUBBA TIP #1: Closing Out a Match

At any given Match, there are two REAL important stages. One is the first stage, this stage sets the tone and feel of the match for you. Remember, you are not going to win the match here, but you sure can lose it on this stage. Try to survive it with no major boo boo's. After this stage, the next most important stage is the last one. On this stage you can correct any good you have done throughout the match. This is the perfect place to firmly plant your nose in the dirt, totally destroying any chances you ever dreamed about. Review the photo - note the correct outward cant of the pistol. This Seagal style of shooting guarantees that the muzzle does not see what the sight sees. Any bullets thrown downrange at a target laying against the left side of the barricade with a no-shoot to the left of it will remain pristine. This statement does not apply to the no-shoot. With suitable practice and experience you will be able to ricochet the bullet or bullets off the barricade and firmly plant them in the "A" zone of the no-shoot. Resulting in massive amounts of penalty points.

That's all for now. Tune in next time for a description of how to throw large quantities of bullets at a "popper," missing it totally then asking for a calibration with a straight face.

you can get more wisdom from Bubba at:

http://www.tbpc.org/bubba2.html#tip1

Ron,

Almost always, conscious decisions regarding speed result in disaster.

Never think or make decisions in terms of speed. Instead think of visual acceptability.

If you always let what you see dictate what you shoot,

a) Your shooting philosophy will become simpler.

B) So your shooting will be more consistent.

c) And as your match scores begin to resemble your skill level

d) You will shoot more decisively and more confidently.

e) As this wheel begins turning

f) You will become happier and excited to share what you've learned with others.

g) Soon the whole universe will reach non-striving -

i) Then when could a beer taste better?

;)