Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are S_I frames still patent protected?

entropic

So... I came across an S_I frame today that a guy made. He's a machinist and they look pretty good and he had a completed gun which seems to function fine. I am a soon to be law student and I have some respect for intellectual property... So are these copies illegal? I'm assuming so, but thanks for your input,

Dave

they are not patent protected in europe.

here is a link of a copy here in us. I started this link and nothing ever came of it, check this site out, they have the sti like grip and modular frame.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-...%2C-Wide/Detail

It's "STI-like" because STI builds it. I responded in your thread and mentioned that. Fusion just buys these products from STI. STI produces these for Fusion. Why would something come of it?

Edited by jasmap

they are not patent protected in europe.

here is a link of a copy here in us. I started this link and nothing ever came of it, check this site out, they have the sti like grip and modular frame.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-...%2C-Wide/Detail

It's "STI-like" because STI builds it. I responded in your thread and mentioned that. Fusion just buys these products from STI. STI produces these for Fusion. Why would something come of it?

Exactly. STI builds parts for a number of companies and puts their names/serial numbers on them.

AR lowers are probably the best example of that scenaro...only a couple of places actually make them compared with the number of companies selling them. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

My comment earlier about the serial number it is the frame that the government regulates.

I never heard that it was legal to make your own without the proper approvals, to me it is not

worth the risk, guess I learn something new.

I've never heard of marking a homemade firearm with serial numbers. Lots of guys build AKs from flats or have ARs machined for personal use. As long as you don't make receivers to sell, it shouldn't be a problem.

Could be he marked it so it could ID'd for theft or insurance purposes.

As to the "proper approvals" all you have to get is an approved Form 1 http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf

Edited by smokshwn

As to the "proper approvals" all you have to get is an approved Form 1 http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf

I could well be wrong, but I thought the "Application to Make and Register a Firearm" is required for a "home made" SBR (hence the $200 fee) while the manufacture of multiple frames requires a Manufacture's FFL.

If building an SBR you could use a commercial AR lower, get it engraved with the appropriate information or you could build your own lower from scratch or an 80% kit, get it engraved with the appropriate information and a serial number of your choosing, file this form with the BATF and once approved, voila, a legal SBR.

As for a one off STI or AK (non NFA) for personal use, no paperwork or serial number is required by the BATF.

Bill

I could well be wrong, but I thought the "Application to Make and Register a Firearm" is required for a "home made" SBR (hence the $200 fee) while the manufacture of multiple frames requires a Manufacture's FFL.

If building an SBR you could use a commercial AR lower, get it engraved with the appropriate information or you could build your own lower from scratch or an 80% kit, get it engraved with the appropriate information and a serial number of your choosing, file this form with the BATF and once approved, voila, a legal SBR.

As for a one off STI or AK (non NFA) for personal use, no paperwork or serial number is required by the BATF.

Bill

Bill,

To my understanding you are correct. I was referring to the poster who was asking about someone who had homebuilt a single receiver AND put a serial number on it. In which case he could have used a Form 1 to register the serial number as a non manufacturer licensed individual.

Fusion parts are made by STI.

If you replicate a design for personal use, no law has been broken. Just don't try to make a buisness out of it.

Actually, it's still patent infringement. Under the patent law, "whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention ... infringes the patent." Shooting the copy would be a separate infringement. As a practical matter, though, it would not make economic sense to go after an individual who made a copy for personal use.