Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone IonBond a barrel

Sudden Death

It is a super thin coating (2 microns of something), so I don't think it would make a barrel to tight. IIRC, there was talk about Ionbond doing interior of barrels for the military. Not sure if that ever transpired, and could have juts been internet chatter too.

Give these guys a call and see what they say - http://www.springerprecision.com/

• 1 month later...

Only trace amounts of coating get inside the barrel, it isn't like chrome lining a barrel. The coating is a vapor and doesn't go in voids well because it is electrically charged, it finds something to stick to before it can go very far into a barrel. It doesn't affect accuracy and we do fancy one hole shooting rifles all the time.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

SpringerPrecision.com IonBonded my AR upper (reciever, bolt carrier group, and buffer assy.) and it is easier to clean the carbon off both the bolt and carrier. I didn't see any reason to have the lower done since it doesn't really have any moving parts to take advantage of a harder coating.

SpringerPrecision.com also did my STI Tacticals, I had it (IonBond) through out and I see no visable difference in accuracy or any related problems. I love the stuff so much I had my Benelli reciever done too and it looks and runs like a new SG again. Sure alot cheaper than new guns for sure! I did notice some of my plastic/Kydex was wearing from my holster:-).

Boffe964: Have the barrel done too...my suggestion is to have any moving parts done to cut down on friction and for a hard finish. Just make sure your slide/piece of metal is the way you want it...once you IonBond you will not want to mess with it.

The IonBond will retain the lube better than anything I have used before, but I have to keep my pistol in plastic so the foam from my pistol bag doesn't absorb the lube. Never had any problem (didn't notice it anyhow) when the pistols were just blued but perhaps I wasn't paying attention.

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott