Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What AR-15 sling should I use?

rr4406pak

There is a local 3-Gun match coming up and they have one requirement/rule for the rifles which is:

"All rifles will require a muzzle down type sling or other retention/securing method."

I've never used a sling on my 3-Gun rifle so I do not know what I should get.

My rifle is a 20" barreled Bushmaster with a JP VTAC forend and an ACE skeletonized stock in the rear.

I'm thinking a single point sling would work.

Any suggestions as to what to get?

The help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If it's just for walking around, a simple 5 dollar GI sling in nylon would do the trick. It sounds like it's is for transport between stages-maybe you can just use your rifle bag or case. +1 on the Vtac or Blue Force 2point sling. Wilderness one point is good, I have a TacStar one point on a shotgun that would work just fine. Probably ask them if you really need a sling for shooting. Good luck.

Before you order a sling find out why you need one. If they want you to use one to carry the weapon stage to stage, ranges will allow you to put it in the rifle case. If it is just used for a start on a stage, a piece of para cord can make one in a jiffy. Of course if it is a cross country match, that means you need a real sling and all of the above suggestions are good ones.

another +1 for the VTAC sling. I have both padded and the original unpadded - if you're taking a class where you'll have it slung much of the day (or carry your rifle for a living) you may prefer the padded version. if you're only slinging up when you come on the line for a match, the unpadded would probably be fine. on the other hand, i think once you try it you'll really appreciate it and will incorporate it into your range practice, so if you pick up the unpadded version you may feel it a bit during longer range sessions.

my $.02 - the ability to quickly adjust sling length is really useful, can go from comfortable offhand standing to kneeling to prone and in each position very quickly adjust sling length so you've got enough tension to stabilize your position. can't see how i would shoot without a sling like this now. also, the vtac differs from the vickers in that you can lengthen the vtac significantly more so if you're transitioning to weak side the sling doesn't get wrapped too tightly around your neck. if you don't shoot weak side rifle this may not matter to you.

-jared

anyone care to make recommendations for mounting to the front of standard handguard setup? VTAC website recommends side-swivel mount. They offer a hook to just clip on to the FSB. Aftermarket side-swivel? What?

Thanks,

-rvb