Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Video Editing ?

So for the last few years I have been using Pinnacle Studio for editing any videos I have taken with my camera. A few months back I wanted a hat cam and I ended up getting a POI 1.5 by VIO.

The set up and use of this camera is great. I use it in a few matches and never look at the raw video just dump it into my software and edit it. But for some reason the sound is off from the video. At first I thought that maybe the compact flash I was using was not the best so I go get some HD compact flash and the same thing. Then I thought well I was placing the came unit in my vest pocket and maybe the mic was getting covered up. I add an external make next to the camera and no help at all.

So now I am at a total lose. Then just messing around I play one of the raw clips and there is nothing wrong with it, but as soon as I drop it into Pinnacle Studio it adds the lag.

Anyone else using Pinnacle? or ever had a problem like this?

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Thanks

Patrick

So for the last few years I have been using Pinnacle Studio for editing any videos I have taken with my camera. A few months back I wanted a hat cam and I ended up getting a POI 1.5 by VIO.

The set up and use of this camera is great. I use it in a few matches and never look at the raw video just dump it into my software and edit it. But for some reason the sound is off from the video. At first I thought that maybe the compact flash I was using was not the best so I go get some HD compact flash and the same thing. Then I thought well I was placing the came unit in my vest pocket and maybe the mic was getting covered up. I add an external make next to the camera and no help at all.

So now I am at a total lose. Then just messing around I play one of the raw clips and there is nothing wrong with it, but as soon as I drop it into Pinnacle Studio it adds the lag.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Thanks

Patrick

Yup. That's why I am now using premier. I had severe problems with Audio Sync and Pinnacle.

There's a cheaper no frills version called Premiere Elements. I don't know what it's like because I use Premiere too but apparently it is very much like Studio in layout.

Personally I've had no recent issues with Studio but once I get a working version I don't update it or change it in any way. I learnt my lesson. I use Studio for my web mpegs and Premiere for my DVD stuff.

Oftentimes the recoding is at fault. You may try using a different record format or change the settings in the software to prevent the lag in sound.

Hey Pholsted,

Have you tried viewing your video on the actual VIO recording unit? Does the sound get delayed on the actual recorder? or is it only when you go to dump the files on your computer and view them on your computer?

Also, did you format the SD card BEFORE you recorded on it? If you didn't, this could also be the culprit.

Can you move the audio track in pinnacle? I record with a Canon HV20, and the files show properly with VLC, but Premiere makes the audio play two or three frames too late. So, I alt click to select the audio only, then nudge it a few frames back/forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a little busy and have not had time to mess with this any more till the other night. I down loaded Premiere Elements (the trial version) to see if I would have the same problems as my Pinnacle Studio . Well seems I had a different set of problems....

Every time I would try to start a new project it would shut down. I could never even get to start editing videos. I am running an older laptop with XP but have never had problems running any software in the past. So I uninstall it and down load it to a desk top I have running XP also. This desk top is only used to for my video collection and for ezscore and IDPA scoring software. I have the same problem. When I go to start a project it just shuts the software down.

Im wondering if this may just be a problem with the trail software but I hate to spend the money to buy it it is going to have these kinds of problems.

Any one else ever have problems with the trial version? or maybe XP?

When I was video taping matches & using pinnacle studio, I occasionally had trouble with timing. I found I needed to free up some space on my computer. One thing I did was dump my old videos & of course, shut down my internet & stuff while it was transferring from camera to my computer. Once I started doing that, everything was fine. YMMV, but I suggest you give it a try with everything closed & lots of storage on your 'puter.

MLM

Ok so it took me a few secs to pull my self back up off the floor. $800 dollars holly grap. Any other out there that any good for smaller fee?

Just curious: If the $800 price tag for the software floored you, what did the VIO POV set you back?

-Chet

Ok so it took me a few secs to pull my self back up off the floor. $800 dollars holly grap. Any other out there that any good for smaller fee?

Just curious: If the $800 price tag for the software floored you, what did the VIO POV set you back?

-Chet

I'm not saying it is not worth it.... Just sucks to spend that much on a camera and then have to turn around and spend a few hundred more that what I paid for the camera to be get any video worth watching out of it.

At this point I am at a real loss at what to do next.

I finally got elements to run on my desktop but when I import the videos from the VIO POV they show up as audio only files. Sorta of strange.

Wish I had some one locally that could convert them and see if they have the same problem or if am just totally screwed up.