Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you keep track of different recoil springs?

leam

I'm working on a couple different loads. One Major for competition/carry and a target load for practice. I'd like to use different spring weights to make sure the gun reacts properly but I can't figure out a good permanent way to mark them so I know which one is which. Paint wears off over time.

Any thoughts?

Leam

I'm working on a couple different loads. One Major for competition/carry and a target load for practice. I'd like to use different spring weights to make sure the gun reacts properly but I can't figure out a good permanent way to mark them so I know which one is which. Paint wears off over time.

Any thoughts?

Leam

I just put them back in the original package and tape it closed.

Why the different load for practice? Practicing with something that doesn't act/feel nearly identical to match ammo is sort of false economy if you want to do well in matches. It's generally not too hard to come up with a less expensive option for practice that works the gun the same way as your "match" ammo. For my Lim and SS rigs I run a less expensive FMJ for practice and JHP's for matches, but they're loaded such that you can't feel the difference between them. I think you could do the same with moly, lead etc.

Carrying handloads....one word (no offense) "dumb". ;)

At bead shops they often have these clear plastic tubes with end caps that work well also you can find instructions on this forum on how to make a spring gauge, springs always aren't what they say they are. and if they do get mixed up you can figure whats what.

Why the different load for practice? Practicing with something that doesn't act/feel nearly identical to match ammo is sort of false economy if you want to do well in matches.

I'm pretty low level so need lots of basic practice. That, and I have about a thousand 160 gr LSWCs from a Bullseye buy a few years ago. Plan to use them to shoot and get the early stuff down and then stick with the 230's ever after. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any Bullseye near me so no real reason to keep the 160s.

Point taken on carrying reloads. Just need to make it down to Bobby for something better. :)

Leam

Hello: I paint the springs I use different colors. My 14lb springs get painted red and the 12.5lb springs get painted green. I just paint a stripe on them with model paint but spray paint would work. The 14lb are for major and the green 12.5 minor in my 45acp. I learned this trick from my car racing days. That way no one could tell what weight springs I was using on the car :cheers: Thanks, Eric

If you want to get scientific about it, you can count the number of coils and measure the wire diameter. Label your package for used springs with this info (with the initial poundage and manufacturer) so you can return them to it. Don't mix new and used springs in the same container.

If you want to get scientific about it, you can count the number of coils and measure the wire diameter. Label your package for used springs with this info (with the initial poundage and manufacturer) so you can return them to it. Don't mix new and used springs in the same container.

I think there might even be a problem with that. It's not just the number of coils and wire diameter that matter....it's also the heat treating process used. So, it would be possible to get two that have the same number of coils and wire diameter, but different ratings. Then again, most of the springs you take out of the package aren't really what they say they are as nobody rates them before packaging them.

XRe said something about one spring company being a quantum leap better about that...I think it was Springco. I've been meaning to buy a couple and compare them with my home-brewed spring tester. R,

Twist rate and wire diameter is the way to determine the spring weight by manufacturer. Some companies already sell their springs color coded. When a spring wears out, throw it out. I buy springs from two different companies only, I use their spring rating as a general guide line. You have to test the springs to see which one gives you the best sight picture return, feel, and function. Just because someone says a __# spring is the magic weight doesn't mean it is for your gun and load. One company does sell their springs in plastic tubes which makes it easier to keep them sorted out.

Rich

yrs ago I got a spring 'pouch' from wilson combat off a prize table as i recall, has slots in it for springs from 8/9 lbs all the way up to 18 lbs, and has slots for extra firing pin springs and shock buffs(it came with 1 each recoil springs and 2 or 3 firing pin springs and a pack of shick buffs, the whole thing rolls up tight in a neat lil bundle and is stuffed in my shooting bag somewhere???