Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10MM Large fram glock - 40 load

John2A

I am thinking of shooting some production later this year. I have not found a small framed gun that I like as much as my STI.

My question is can I use the same loads that I do in my limited gun loaded to 1.125 in the 10MM Glock large framed gun.

I got to handle one at my local gun store and posed this question to their "smith" and he had no idea why any one would load a 40 long.

Just a theory.

Thanks,

John

No problem, glad you got what you were looking for.

I got a KKM barrel for my G20 chambered in .40 and as I said, my STI loads worked fine.

Until I got a second STI in .40 I used to carry the G20 as a back up gun and I didn't need a seperate batch of ammo so it worked out well.

Neal in AZ

Using a caliber changing barrel in your G20 will exclude it from being Production legal. This is similar to changing the 40 cal barrel out of a G35 and dropping in a G34 barrel for Production. It is unfortunate, but still the current ruling.

John, I have run thousands of rds of 40 S&W through a stock G-20 without a malfunction. Your long loaded ammo should be fine. I carried an extra extractor with me when I ran this set up, just in case. If you decide to go this way, I still have an extra extr.I'll give you.

You may want to do a search on how John Amidon ruled on this issue though. I can't remember verbatim on how it went.

Dang, I did not even think about changing the barrel being production illegal.

thanks for bringing that up. I will have to do some checking on that point.

Thanks Scott, I might just take you up on that if this goes the way I am hoping.

Thanks all.

John

Using a caliber changing barrel in your G20 will exclude it from being Production legal. This is similar to changing the 40 cal barrel out of a G35 and dropping in a G34 barrel for Production. It is unfortunate, but still the current ruling.

Sorta.

Just to get some of the terms straight...

10mm and 40S&W are the same caliber. (both are 0.400 inches)

But, I do believe that the most recent version of the USPSA rules for Production exclude putting a new barrel 40S&W chambered barrel into a G20 (10mm).

You can (legal for Production) fire 40S&W through your 10mm barrel...as long as it works OK.

NROI Rulings

Title: Replacement barrels

Created: 3/05/07

Updated: 7/31/08

Effective: 8/07/08

Rule number: Appx D4 21

Applies to: Pistol

Ruling authority: Director of NROI

Question

I have a Glock model 20 which is 10mm, can I replace the barrel for this with a .40 S&W and have it still legal for competition?

Ruling

"same as original factory standard" Is interpreted to mean equivalent to the factory barrel for that model of firearm in all ways including (but not limited to) caliber, chambering, length, weight and profile. This would make what you request illegal for Production Division.

I do not know how that recent (new) version of the Production rules view this?

Since the burden of proof that something like that is legal (firing .40 out of a 10mm) now rests upon the competitor, and since I can't find any language permitting that in the rules, I'd recommend against doing it in a match.....

If it works, it might be a way to cut down on the expense of practice ammo. Theoretically it should be possible to tune a very similar load for both cartridge cases....

Hello: Why not just get a Glock 35 and load to 1.140" oal? You could install a Hogue sleeve to build up the grip. Your STI should be able to shoot that length of ammo as well. 40 minor is very soft shooting using 185 grain bullets :cheers: Thanks, Eric

You can build up the grip on a Production gun?

The other head scratcher here is using Major PF ammo for Production (assuming he's shooting Major in Limited). While it's not huge, why put yourself at a disadvantage?

When I wanted a Production gun that indexed similarly to my Limited and Open guns I went with an M&P...different grip inserts can make them pretty large if you have big hands. None of the Glocks feel the same to me....although the large frame guns are closer. R,

Ok well I have scrapped the idea of shooting the G20 in production.

I don't know what it is but I am not really fond of the M&P, or XD.

I bought a 35 from a local shooter and it is a fine gun, only bad thing and I did not realize it before I bought it but he stippled the underneath of the trigger gaurd Why I don't know so now it is illegal for Prod. But for what I paid still not a bad deal.

might get another 35 and use it as prod. Saw one in a local shop for 550.00. Not too bad I guess since I was seeing them at 649.00 a couple months ago. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

John

The other head scratcher here is using Major PF ammo for Production (assuming he's shooting Major in Limited). While it's not huge, why put yourself at a disadvantage?

When I wanted a Production gun that indexed similarly to my Limited and Open guns I went with an M&P...different grip inserts can make them pretty large if you have big hands. None of the Glocks feel the same to me....although the large frame guns are closer. R,

Yeah I am shooting Maj in Lim. But what I was going to do is leave my 650 set up Maj and 550 minor. Right now it is set up for 9mm but i am not shooting much 9 any loger. I did when I was shooting SS but 10 rounds was not worth the penalty for shooting minor against everyone else shooting Maj.