Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor flying SWA back from Vegas + Ammo

I'm shipping Francisco's 500 rounds of nats ammo to Vegas in the coming days. After the match he should have less than 200 rounds left (not many reshoots at nationals). Francisco is 16. Would he be able to bring back his leftover ammo in his checked luggage or would it be a problem because of his age?

Southwest Airlines.

THX,

Ditto Mr. Boudrie's question. I've put ammo... undeclared... in bags before. Never been an issue. AFAIK, you only have to declare an unloaded firearm, not properly packaged ammunition...

Now... as to what would happen if they searched the bag, and for some reason decided they needed to speak w/ Fran over it, I don't know what would happen. But, I've never had questions asked about a bag that I checked that contained ammo (even the times they were searched by TSA).

In the end, the safest thing might be to donate it to an RO, or something ;)

In 1994, President Clinton signed into law the Youth Handgun Safety Act, which generally banned the possession of handguns or handgun ammunition by juveniles under the age of 18.

Some states have also enacted laws that deal with minors and handgun ammunition and handguns in general. There are some states that have noted exceptions with written parental permission and they are in route to or from target shooting or hunting etc.

My wife is a TSA agent and let me tell you, don't even have any spent brass in your carry on bag. Recently a Military member had a single .380 round in the carry on and the LEO's took him away in cuffs.

I wasn't log ago another shooter told me I could save a bunch of money sending my gun to the smith by just putting it in a box and droping it in the US Mail tell them its gun parts, NO NOT EVEN ITS NOT LEGAL is $30.00 worth 10 years in jail, no not to me.

Point is maybe its just not worth the risk to bring back the ammo. Any adults from the area going to the match that could help out?

Here is Southwest's policy on Ammunition:

Ammunition

Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.

The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.

Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!

Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.

Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.

Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be conditionally accepted.

Here is Southwest's policy on Ammunition:

Ammunition

Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.

The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.

Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!

Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.

Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.

Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be conditionally accepted.

my take with southwest.

i drove a F650 truc back from LA ca, to houston texas.

i flew out friday morning with my carry peice.

i took a small lock box, put my SIG in there, locked the slide back, and a cable lock thru the gun. i then threw the empty magazine into the box, and threw the box into a duffle bag.

i went to the counter, and declared i had a handgun for transportation. i filled out a little peice of paper to check the gun, the ladies all went into OMG OMG OH NOES freakout mode that i had an expensive peice of metal in a locked box :rolleyes:

they asked if i could show them the firearm was unloaded and secure. i showed them by opening the case. the girls there could have been looking at car part, a NASA space shuttle part, a gun, or a kitten. they had no clue if it was unloaded, and just asked me "so, is it unloaded" looking at me like deer that just got hit with a Qbeam at night lol

so in anycase i then locked the box, key went in my pocket, box went in the duffle bag, and an anti tamper seal went onto the duffle bag.

i flew to LA, got my checked duffle bag just like another peice of luggage and got the truck. the gun came got the lock removed from it, but stayed in the box locked with no ammo. california does not honor my concealed handgun licence, but we honor californias...... sigh.

so i drove to the california border, bought some hollow points @ walmart and loaded my peice.

i drove back to houston by saturday afternoon/night.

i then slept untill 8 am sunday, went BACK to the airport, and repeated the entire thing over again with another F650 truck.

both times both counter girls were clueless, and had no "recent" training on how to check a firearm. YMMV.

I'm shipping Francisco's 500 rounds of nats ammo to Vegas in the coming days. After the match he should have less than 200 rounds left (not many reshoots at nationals). Francisco is 16. Would he be able to bring back his leftover ammo in his checked luggage or would it be a problem because of his age?

Southwest Airlines.

THX,

Nemo

Check the airlines policies. http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/childtip.html. Southwests seems loose for minors over 12 ( per their rule over 12 rules and polices are same as an adult). I have read others that are very restrictive for any minor and some specifically mention no firearms or ammo.

MDA

I suggest leaving a few empty holes in an ammo box in case TSA finds a stray round in your checked luggage. They found 1 stray super round in my range bag, and none of the ammo boxes had an extra slot. It took one hour, three TSA agents, a TSA supervisor, and airline rep, an airport police officer and three separate reports before they wished me a nice trip. If there was an open hole in an ammo case, they would have just relocated the round for me. I didn't even have a mag packed into which they could insert the round for TSA compliant storage. There would have been a fourth form if I wanted to accept their offer to return the ammo to me after my return flight.

I take it he is going to FedEx the pistol home?

What you are asking is not a Southwest Airlines question, but a state/federal law question.

Can he legally possess pistol ammo in both of the states where he will possibly be in possession his bag? I don't think so.

And yes, he does have to declare ammo, rarely is it even looked at by SWA ticket agents as they are more concerned about there name on the tag that get enclosed in the firearm case, but TSA x-ray agents seem to be pushing there scope of powers everyday.

Southwest agents have been trained in areas where there are decent flows of firearms IE Vegas, Orlando, ext. as the SHOT show brings huge #'s. At some California counters you may have a hard time finding an inspection tag. <_<

NEVER EVER let TSA find a loose round in your carry on, it sucks to have to ask for a manager then explain how a round found its way under the liner of your range bag. Ironic that I can taxi a 55 million dollar fully fueled jet, but I cant even bring a leather-man through the passenger TSA checkpoint?

Would be a whole lot easier to find a Jr. that needs some practice ammo there in Vegas.

And yes, he does have to declare ammo

Two posters have made this assertion, but neither has cited any law, TSA policy or airline regulation with this requirement for domestic US flights.

Could you PLEASE cite an official source for your assertion, which I believe to be erroneous.

And yes, he does have to declare ammo

Two posters have made this assertion, but neither has cited any law, TSA policy or airline regulation with this requirement for domestic US flights.

Could you PLEASE cite an official source for your assertion, which I believe to be erroneous.

The TSA is a little unclear because they never really say ammunition. Its just lumped in with firearms, but if you contact the airline they will tell you to declare the ammo. That is what I was told both times we flew and both times they put the firearms paper inside my luggage that just held my ammo. My Trubor was in another checked bag without ammo and was also tagged.

I hear what you are saying, but it might be better to play it safe and just declare it. TRUST ME...the TSA doesn't understand anything about it. All they will want to know is why you didn't declare it and how long can they can possibly hold you up..:)

I have had ammo found in my luggage many times at a checkpoint and, in those cases there was not gun, it was not declared there was no trouble (except that time there was a stray round in my checked range bag) beyond waiting for the TSA luggage screener to open the ammo box due to the x-ray opacity.

There are numerous situations where TSA misunderstood their own regulations, however, that is a different subject from what you "must do". I had to re-pack my luggage at the Boston airport once because I got a TSA agent who was convinced there was a regulation prohibiting ammo and guns in the same piece of luggage - but that does not translate to "ammo and guns must be in separate luggage".

That is what I was told both times we flew and both times they put the firearms paper inside my luggage that just held my ammo.

This was definitely outside of required procedure, and may actually have been a violation of TSA policy.

I hear what you are saying, but it might be better to play it safe and just declare it.

Agreed, but telling people they "must" do something, as opposed to "advisable in case the govt minion does not understand the rules" is inaccurate.

Agreed, but telling people they "must" do something, as opposed to "advisable in case the govt minion with the brain capacity of a paper sack, and thinks he/she is as powerful as God does not understand the rules" is inaccurate.

fixed :)

Edited by halogrinder

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is a simple easy answer. Do a prelabeled FedEx Box and Packing slip and ship it back to you. Now doing it this way may violate FedEx rules (actually it does) but that is the easiest simplest way to do things.

Read the FedEx or UPS rules if you want to comply with them.