Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1 1/2 SP Primers for .40?

LarryP

I always used WSP for my 9 MM & .40 S&W reloads! With the shortage I'll buy almost anything (only brand turned down so far is Wolf.) I just bought Remington No. 1 1/2 Sm Pist Primers and noticed a "Safety Warning" on the Remington that says" Do not use in high intensity cartridges such as 357 Mag, 357 Sig, and .40 S&W". I checked on their web site and they recomment No. 5 1/2.

2 questions:

A) Is this for real (cant use No. 1 1/2 in my .40 reloads.)

B) What about Wolf Primers (Are they as good as Win, CCI, or Fed?)

Thanks

Not odd at all. They are concerned about pierced primers from the thinner cup vs the burn ratio. I use SRP's of various manufacturer in certain pistol loads and have tested them against SPP mags and SPP's of the same manufacturer. The pf difference is minimal, well within what you would see batch to batch of ammo.

BTW, the biggest velocity spreads I have ever seen in test loads are with Rem primers. I don't know why, but one round is 1000fps the next is 920 fps... I don't get this with other brands I've tested.

I haven't had too good of luck with the Remington SPP. It seems that quite a few juat wouldn't set off, almost like a light strike. Put them back in, hammer them again, they fire. Now, this was all in my auto's, in a revo, they seem to do fine.

I too have used srp for handgun rounds with good results. The odd part was that Remington was saying that loading standard primers in place of hotter magnum primers is hazardous. The other way around I could understand and it could just be to cover their behinds...

Strange that they do not include the 9mm Luger as well since it and the 40 S&W are listed as having the same pressure allowance in SAAMI.

Looking at some Remington 1½ primers I bought withing the last two weeks, they do not have such a statement.

Guy

ive had more blown 9mm remington primers than anything...some even in factory ammo.

it seems like the cups are thin, but the metal is hard....

these were regular 9mm minor ammo...loaded with 147 fmj and win 231.

Harmon

I just noticed, the other night, the same warning on a box of Remington primers that I got in a trade. In my load book, 40 cal will reach pressures of 22,000psi and 9mm will reach 32,000 psi. If this is the case, why is 9mm not listed in the warning?

I loaded up 165 rounds of rainier 180fp copper coated bullets over 4.3 grains of win 231, seated to 1.125" with Remington small pistol primers. I will check a few cases when I first start to shoot them. I think/hope they will work fine.

I also have some cci small pistol primers that I have not tried yet. Is there any noticeable difference between Winchester and cci?

Thanks

Chris

ive had more blown 9mm Remington primers than anything...some even in factory ammo.

it seems like the cups are thin, but the metal is hard....

these were regular 9mm minor ammo...loaded with 147 fmj and win 231.

Harmon

I just noticed, the other night, the same warning on a box of Remington primers that I got in a trade. In my load book, 40 cal will reach pressures of 22,000psi and 9mm will reach 32,000 psi. If this is the case, why is 9mm not listed in the warning?

SAAMI spec max pressure for .40 is 35,000 PSI....9mm is the same. R,

I always used WSP for my 9 MM & .40 S&W reloads! With the shortage I'll buy almost anything (only brand turned down so far is Wolf.) I just bought Remington No. 1 1/2 Sm Pist Primers and noticed a "Safety Warning" on the Remington that says" Do not use in high intensity cartridges such as 357 Mag, 357 Sig, and .40 S&W". I checked on their web site and they recomment No. 5 1/2.

2 questions:

Thanks

I have loaded about 5k small rifle wolf primers with no problems, in my 40 limited gun. So yeah I think that they are fine.

2 questions:

Thanks

I bought 1K Wolf large pistol to load 45 ACP and they have performed well. I have had no problems with any of the rounds loaded with them. (230 gr LRN with 3.9 gr Clays)