Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w Performance Center 952 For Idpa

Nick Weidhaas

Is this the one?

170220.jpg

Had to look it up, wasn't familiar with this model. It appears to be a single action only, but the description on Smith's sight says "Action: TDA", which I take to mean Traditional Double Action. If it is indeed a single action, then I think the only down side I can see is that it most likely would be a bit slower to flip the safety off on the draw than it would on a 1911.

You might consider the CZ-85 or CZ 75 in 9mm since it is just as accurate as the Smith if not more so (CZ design based on the Sig 210 & it shares the 6 groove barrel) and it costs 1/2 as much or less. My understanding of the 952 is it was a succesor to the 1960s era Model 52 - a strange 5 shot auto designed to shoot the rimmed, .38 Special FULL wadcutter (bullet seated flush w/ case mouth) and was intended to compete in police pistol competition (PPC). Unless I am wrong, the 952 is a custom shop gun w/. a premium price but which does not offer any better performance than a 9mm CZ.

- Average Group (25y, 10 shots, Ransom Rest, 6 different factory loads) = 1.33 inches

- The article talks up the hand fitting from the PC

- Swartz-type firing pin (grip safety). No interferrence with the trigger

- "creep-free 4 pound trigger pull"

- single column, 9 round capacity

- good slide to frame fit & barrel lock-up

- 40 ounces. absorbs recoil.

- "utterly reliable and joyously accurate"

- "slide movement brisk...empties thrown well clear"

- "...what handgun shooting is all about"

i think a slide mounted safety would put you at a disadvantage. i also second the ca 75 sa. frame mounted safety. also the 9rd mag capacity is one shy, but isn't really a problem. if you buy it and you like it have fun. after all isn't that what shooting is all about.

Flex: All articles in the American Handgunner are lacking. Testing an SVI PPC auto at 25 yards for groups really sucks. I wonder why they even bother . If they spent less time on knives they would have time to do some proper gun testing but they don't give a crap .

The SW952 is a fine choice for ESP. No auto has a shorter trigger reset that I know of.

Fair criticism; the CZ's DOUBLE ACTION trigger is a ways out (though not as far as the beretta). This site should be about full disclosure of facts, followed by opinions based on those facts & BE generally does an excellent job of fair, balanced evaluation. Is the 952's trigger reach shorter than a CZ's DA (not sa) trigger? Could be; I have not compared them side to side. I will also add that even w/ a SA trigger installed, my CZ's do have some take up that I can't seem to get rid of; nothing on the order of other guns but its there. Maybe S&W tuned it out of the 952. I looked up retail on the 952 last night & at least one distributor had it at $1500 but I would not be surprised to hear of it being priced as low as $1000. The add also stated the the gun was SA ONLY, so the safety would have to be applied prior to reholstering (at least in USPSA). As for the 9 round mag, I noticed that the 952 shares a mag w/ several other S&W models so I would imagine 10 rounders would not be that difficult to find.

This is thread drift, but since someone mentioned it...

I'm still struggling to get my Kimber 9mm--the Designated ESP gun--to run 100%. Failures to extract. It's been back to Kimber twice, and each time it gets better, but still no cigar. When I got the gun, it was failing to extract 50% of the time (Winchester 115-gr white box ball; Kimber and Mec-Gar mags). It's now down to maybe once or twice per 100 rounds...as it happened at the Nationals, those "once or twices" were on the stage with the two movers. Doom on Mikey!

They've tuned the extractor, lightened the springs and replaced the slide stop (to make the slide lock back, which it still doesn't do 100% of the time). I'm lobbying for some work on the chamber. Kimber, BTW, has been great with this and are committed to making the puppy run all the time.

Paradoxically, Walt Rauch has one that's only a few numbers removed from mine, and his has been 100% in everything from Day One.

Michael B

PS This is the single best-shooting 9mm 1911 I've ever seen, which is why I bought the damn thing and am agonizing over it!

MB,

I can't point you to any specific threads, but I recall reading (on 1911forum.com) that the Kimbers with the new (to them) external extractors were having problems. Maybe Kimber dropped the ball on this one?

The external extractor works...and works well...in many other platforms. I hope Kimber gets it figured out...and that it catches on. That would be one less part to custom fit.