Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Scoring Program

Alan Meek

I don't have Excel though. :( I do have MS Works and it's spread sheet.

There goes my good idea.. I worked up a 'best-four-of-five' spreadsheet for scoring steel matches a while back, but it's in... Excel

Works may have a similar function.. maybe

I don't have the spreadsheet handy, but the gist is you set up one sheet in Excel for each stage.

Something like:

Name Run 1 Run 2 Run 3 Run 4 Run 5 Total

and set the formula for Total to be =(SUM(R1:R5)-MAX(R1:R5)). That drops the worst run automatically (you have to add penalties manually & if you want to drop the worst 2 runs, you need much more spreadsheet mojo)

Then set up another sheet that aggregates the names and total times from the stage sheets, and totals them up. Press 'Sort' once everything is in and you're done.

Downside: you have to look up every shooter by name in order to enter scores.

Extra Credit: set a conditional format on the R1:R5 cells to do a strikethrough on the MAX cell for each row. Default blank cells to 30 seconds.

Extra Extra credit: Write up a VBA front-end to the Excel spreadsheet and make a 'real' scoring program out of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't want an advertisement here especially for my first post, but I have a steel scoring program available, it will take either the best 3 of 5 or the best 4 of 5, breaks down all the different steel categories, prints results with overall combined or division breakdowns and is designed for pc running win98 or later.

It's available for $25.00

• 4 weeks later...