Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Ultimate Range Backpack

Nemo

HERE we talked about range backpacks. The CED and the Gugas are specifically designed for range use and then there's Norbs bag that can't be found in the US. Some of us give range use to Maxpedition, 5.11 and Blackhawk bags (some hidration bags).

If there was a new range backpack in the making, what features would you like to see incorporated in the new design?

1 - Magazine pockets: How many? 4, 6, 8? You rather have pockets or just an elastic band to hold the tubes?

2 - Handguns: How many guns you would want it to hold, 1 or 2? In soft zippered gun rug(s) or would you want it to accomodate or even include a hard-sided plastic gun case? Where would you locate the gun case in the bag, against your back, the front or maybe the bottom?

3 - Ammo: 100-count ammo boxes or a bag for loose rounds? Ammo boxes, how many?

4 - OUTSIDE POCKETS:

- For tools: Would a pocket to accomodate a Dillon Large Utility Box be enough for tools and spares?

- What else on the outside? Water bottle pouch or another zippered compartment?

- Velcro pockets on the shoulder straps for cell phone, keys, etc?

5 - INSIDE COMPARTMENTS: In addition to the ammo, for what else would like to see room or pockets inside the bag?

6 - Anything else? (I'll chime in here that I would like a new design to NOT BE BLACK inside, too hard to find stuff)

Maybe a bag designer would get ideas from this and get us what we want... ;)

Fire away!

B)

6 - Anything else? (I'll chime in here that I would like a new design to NOT BE BLACK inside, too hard to find stuff)

B)

Hey, how about a small LED light to fix that problem? Open shooters always have batteries :rolleyes:

1. Magazine pockets - at least 6, 8 would be better. Elastic bands are fine

2. At least soft storage of two guns. Zippered gun rugs are nice to take the gun to the safe table in. Locate the guns inside the main compartment towards the lower back.

3. Include some ammo boxes (say 4) and provide a pocket big enough for them towards the bottom. By providing the box (at about $3 ea) you'll know the box will fit in the pocket. A clip on bag is ok but not too prevalent at matches I've been to.

4. Pockets for a Dillon Lare Utility Box (again, provide the box). I use Snap-Tite boxes from the grocery store to store other stuff like oil and lube that I don't want to leak all over my bag. It keeps things neat and organized. A pocket for glasses and/or ear protection. A small pocket on the outside to stuff score sheets into. A Hydration pocket or bottle pocket. One last pocket for stuff. Another idea would be an additional bag held on with MOLLE.

5. Inside a pocket for the pistols, ammo (towards the bottom and accessible from the outside), and some place to throw a stapler and or timer. Again I use the Snap-Tite compartments.

6. Keep it simple, light and offer colors other then black, desert tan and olive drab. Perhaps red, blue, grey.

Good topic Nemo! Also, just to throw it out; I inquired about it with Chcuk at Shooters Connection and the demand must be significant enough to put it in production. My preference is a 6 mag holder on one of the walls of the inner compartment and preferrably one wide elastic band. Ammo compartment at the bottom that can be accessed outside through an inverted U shaped zipped opening and can hold at least 4 100rd boxes stacked 2 boxes wide and 2 boxes high. A separate gun compartment outside with optional gun rug. A pocket inside the main compartment that can accomodate another gun rug or utility boxes. Adjustable velcro partitions inside as well. Molle or velcro/buckle attachments outside for add on pockets, bottle holder and whatnot. Maxpedition quality material and built. Mi dos centavos.

Good topic Nemo!

Ammo compartment at the bottom that can be accessed outside through an inverted U shaped zipped opening and can hold at least 4 100rd boxes stacked 2 boxes wide and 2 boxes high.

Thanx Norbs! It was triggered by my envy of your backpack. :D

How about that compartment at the bottom that can be accessed from the outside instead of ammo boxes, for a case like THE 808-40? It would fit two production guns or one open gun.

6 magazine pockets.

Room for 2 guns in zippered rugs, or maybe 2 padded gun compartments.

Ammo: a compartment for 3 100 rd boxes accessable via an outside zipper.

A clip on mesh bottom bag for brass.

A padded outside pocket or pockets for 2-3 pair of range glasses.

Outside velcro strap for hearing protection.

If you could make the whole thing rigid enough to sit on and still light enough to carry I'd buy two.

How about that compartment at the bottom that can be accessed from the outside instead of ammo boxes, for a case like THE 808-40? It would fit two production guns or one open gun.

Hard case at the bottom sounds great, it will give more space in the main compartment but will add a little more weight. One thing to consider is the weight of the ammo; the gun case should be placed on top of the ammo compartment so the pack won't collapse when the gun case is pulled out. This is good... keep 'em coming!

Edited by norbs007

I really like the CED back pack but would like to see the following improvememts.

1) leave out the stool. I know it is meant for the pack to sit on in the event of bad weather etc but come on how many times has it been used for that. I have removed mine and put my small camel back there.

2) I would love to see in the outside pocket 2 sets of 6 mag holders. I carry a Glock 35 and STI and it would be great to have both mags with me just in case.

3) Ammo holder at bottom tall enough for 4 ammo boxes 2 X 2

4) I would love to see it come with 2 of the CED gun rugs instead of the stool.

5) one pocket that would be big enough for at least one set of shooting glasses, at least one lense and ear plugs.

6) One pocket big enough for a timer, block size and one for muffs.

7) a thin plastic tackle box that could hold tools, oil etc.

If that would happen I would buy another one even though I just bought a brand new one.

HERE we talked about range backpacks. The CED and the Gugas are specifically designed for range use and then there's Norbs bag that can't be found in the US. Some of us give range use to Maxpedition, 5.11 and Blackhawk bags (some hidration bags).

If there was a new range backpack in the making, what features would you like to see incorporated in the new design?

1 - Magazine pockets: How many? 4, 6, 8? You rather have pockets or just an elastic band to hold the tubes? 6-8

2 - Handguns: How many guns you would want it to hold, 1 or 2? In soft zippered gun rug(s) or would you want it to accomodate or even include a hard-sided plastic gun case? Where would you locate the gun case in the bag, against your back, the front or maybe the bottom? Only needs to hold 2 guns.

3 - Ammo: 100-count ammo boxes or a bag for loose rounds? Ammo boxes, how many? No specific bag for ammo but a storage area for ammo boxes and able to hold at least 600 rounds. I have carried that in my carry-on on a flight before.

4 - OUTSIDE POCKETS:

- For tools: Would a pocket to accomodate a Dillon Large Utility Box be enough for tools and spares? Able to hold a spare parts kit and a mulitool or hex head screw drivers.

- What else on the outside? Water bottle pouch or another zippered compartment? Pouch for other stuff such as pro-grip, cell phone, etc.. And yes a water bottle pouch but one that can hold a Large bottle.

- Velcro pockets on the shoulder straps for cell phone, keys, etc? No sir.

5 - INSIDE COMPARTMENTS: In addition to the ammo, for what else would like to see room or pockets inside the bag? Ears, eyes, etc

6 - Anything else? (I'll chime in here that I would like a new design to NOT BE BLACK inside, too hard to find stuff) Maybe have it accept camelback bladders.

Maybe a bag designer would get ideas from this and get us what we want... ;)

Fire away!

B)

I put my answers in red after your questions Nemo. Thanks!

2 padded removeable pouches for guns (I don't want to have to take the whole bag to the safe area)

a spot on the bottom for 400 rounds of ammo (minimum for most majors)

6 mag slots

a pouch for tools and what not

That is pretty much all I would need.

Hello: I just received one of Dillon's small pistol rugs. It is well made and only $18. It holds 4 mags and has a side pocket for spare parts. I also just bought a MTM small orange case that can be used for all sorts of stuff. It has a compass on it and is water tight(maybe good for first aid stuff etc). I also have some small soft cases that could be stuffed in where you need them for carrying brushes,squib rods etc. I am fitting a Falcon II up right now for hiking and range use. I am not sure what is the best way to set a backpack up and it may take many tries to find out. I also think it will depend on what you actually need to take with you. I did the large range bag thing and found out I really didn't need all the stuff I was taking with me. I could leave most of it in the car. I think of it this way, I don't need the largest toolbox to work on a Weber carb :cheers: In most cases we don't have to haul gear 5 miles so I like the smaller type backpack. I have used a Maxpedition Jumbo and it works great for a Limited pistol with just the minimum amount of stuff. I have also used the Lunaga gearslinger as well. For Production I think I need a larger backpack because of the extra mags. This is a great thread so keep it going. Thanks, Eric

I would like an attachment point for outer belt. I currently attach mine on my CED at the ring/carry handle on top. This puts the belt in the way when you carry the bag.

Carrying 400 rounds of ammo is too much for me. I am looking for a pack for the day. With 200 rounds I notice how much heavier the pack is. I would rather refill inbetween shooting days at major matches than carry all my ammo.

I like the mag pouch set up on the ced with the fold down flap. It gives you somewhere to set your stuff while you clean your mags. 6 or 8 pouches.

The inside needs more attachment points or pockets to keep stuff organized. Pockets for Glasses, Ear protection, valuables(wallet, keys, watch)

I can do with out the stool.

I keep a small tool set in one of the pouches on the shoulder straps. In the other I keep a bottle of sunscreen.

Rain Fly is an excellent suggestion.

Edited to add that I prefer the gun rugs/pouches to a hard case or anything permanently attached to the pack.

Overall the CED is a pretty good design. I would just prefer that it was made by a backpack manufacturer. I think the design carried out better if manufactured like a heavy use backpack.

Edited by h2osport

I would prefer to have two zippered pouches on both sides that would hold 500 loose (not boxed) ammo. This way it will save more space. An outside compartment that would fit an open gun with rug cover. The main compartment does not need to be huge but big enough to put in some tools and 6 magazine pouches. The main compartment should not be too deep to make things readily accessible.

And the most important part........a loop (velcro type) underneath or on top of the bag to hold our pesky outer belts after we are done shooting.

I think the ammo box bottom compartment in the CED backpack should be for the gun(s), the one thing we take out/put in the bag once or twice. The ammo should be more readily accesible because we got to the ammo boxes multiple times.

Although I would prefer, like Arvin, outside pouches for loose ammo most people like ammo boxes. Also when the boxes break you just throw them away and get new ones, the ammo pouches because of the weight and constant open/close would be weak points on a bag.

I like the idea of an outside attachment point for the rig. Not many bags can fit the holster/pouches/belt setup.

Keep the ideas flowing!

Now I just need to hit the lotto tonight to get this bag to production. :D

1 - Magazine pockets: 6 and tall enough for 170mm big sticks

2 - Handguns: 1 pistol and include a soft zippered case for taking over to the safe area to unbag/bag it.

3 - Ammo: Figure 4 100 round count probably J&J or MTM boxes for 45 ACP as that'd be your worst size. Possibly in a vertical pocket on the inside of the main compartment or in a seperate lower compartment.

4 - OUTSIDE POCKETS:

- For tools: 1-2 tall vertical pouches for a squib rod, mag cleaning brush and 1-2 screw drivers. Other one could be for a fold up poncho/rain cover

- What else on the outside? Access to where the mags are stored and if one goes with the separate compartment for the ammo, this would be accessible.

- Water bottle pouch or another zippered compartment? Water bottle is a great idea, but not necessary with a bladder pouch.

- Velcro pockets on the shoulder straps for cell phone, keys, etc? Definitely

- External MOLLE system for attachments for a water bottle pouch, timer pouch, "field kit" (sun block, band-aids, etc.)

5 - INSIDE COMPARTMENTS: If it's inside the bag, it's something you don't readily need immediate access too. Tool kit would be good here.

6 - Anything else? A big thing would be to have a rigid internal frame. A good example are the bags from Kifaru. Serious packs and have an internal frame. Another good example are the packs from Eberlestock.

The CED bag is pretty sweet. It's size is solid, just a big hole for a center section is all. A big plus that I like about the Kifaru bags that most lack is an internal MOLLE/PALS system that allows the user to compartment the inside of the bag. Combined with MOLLE/PALS on the exterior and it's completely customizable without getting stupid huge.

Rich

a couple of thing I would add to the above would be make the main compartment adjustable with padded dividers like you'd find in a camera backpack.

also add and mesh outer pocket big enough of a 1.5L water bottle

most of the time I carry a backpack, I sling it on my shoulder using only 1 shoulder strap, I figure most of us here do also, after all we're only carrying it a few yards to the next stage, and put it down. we're not humping it all day and taking it off for a break. so I'd like a single wide, padded strap, and not 2 thinner one.

lastly because by the time we put all of our crap in there, it will weigh a ton, how about a set of wheels mounted to a ridged frame that's built into the pack

I'm not a good person to comment on this because my needs are fairly simple. But the biggest issues I have with any backpack tend to revolve around the difficulty finding things that are buried.

If I were building a backpack from scratch, I'd make it completely modular. A small backpack with straps or strap to start. Add a second pack that attaches below. Add a mag or utility pouch that attaches to the front. Additional carriers for the sides. Etc...

The great advantage to this would be that you could have as little or as much as you need, from a small stage bag to an all day 3-gun match bag.

Hello: You could also look at the Maxpedition Gearslingers. I am using a Lunada(I actually have 2) and also the Jumbo. The gearslingers work very well for carrying stuff for a local match. I just bought a Maxpedition Falcon II to try for larger type matches and hiking. I do agree that most backpacks are too deep but the Falcon has zippers that open up the pack very well. I still have to figure out how to mount the mags on the outside. I may have to make something for that. Thanks, Eric