Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magtech Primers?

Flexmoney

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

I already did a search and found one post saying they were crap but no explaination for why. I have found info regarding the Magtech loaded ammo (which no doubt has their primers) and it seemed favorable other than a bit dirty.

Has anyone tried these primers and if so, what are the findings? They can be had substantially cheaper than Winchester but if there are issues with them, it's not worth it.

Thanks,

Craig

• 2 months later...

I have shot 30 000 for Magtech primers.

Magtech No 1,5 small pistol & revolver primers goes every time. I haven't heard that people have any troubles with them. They have went off every when I have fired them.

But Magtech No 7,5 Small rifle primers are little bit hard. Many people who have light hammer and main spring (15lb) have really hard time with them. 1 of 2 only fires but I have fired those about 20 000 and only 5 haven't fire for the first try so I guess I am lucky. If you are paying these try small amount first so you will know if they are right for you.

I am shooting them because they haven't let me down never in the competition. They are also very cheap.

Tzygä,

I will have to give them a try this month. Hopefully they will run smothly as I can get them cheaper than most other primers at the local Cabela's. If all goes well I will be shooting them at Area 3.

Joe W.

• 2 weeks later...

My results....

I tried some of the Magtech small rifle primers in my STI (.38 Super) and out of 20 rounds, had 20 MISFIRES. The primers were just way too hard even with a heavier mainspring. With Winchester small rifle primers I am getting 100% results and not a single misfire. Needless to say, I returned them as I was told at the store that they would work perfect or I could get a refund.

Anyway, it is back to Winchester primers for my .38 Super.

Joe W.

It isn't worth it to me. I only needed enough primers to get me through the month and the store replaced them with Winchesters. When I get back from my trip I am going to be placing an order with one of my fellow shooters for a sleeve or two of Winchesters for a lot less than the Magtechs (dealer cost and one of the shooters will pick them up so no hazmat charge). It isn't worth me spending the time, money (bullets and powder) to try and figure out if these things will work in my gun. I tried them and found out they don't work in my gun. They might work in others but for now I will stick to the Winchesters.

Joe W.

carina, did you have to adjust your load with the primer change?

I have though about the small mag pistol primers in my major 9mm. and they are quite a bit cheaper than federal 200s i am using now.

harmon

• 4 months later...

Not a newb but as this is a general question, semed the right place to post. Graf's has Magtech primers for less than Win, Fed, CCI, etc, but before purchasing a quantity would like to ask if anyone has used them & if so, what was the result?? Thanks for your responses.

Graf's has Magtech primers at a good price compared to Win, Fed, etc. but before buying a quantity, has anyone used them & if so what were the results? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Have shot over 20k of the magnum small pistol primers with not one failure. I like them!

Edited by carinab

Not a newb but as this is a general question, semed the right place to post. Graf's has Magtech primers for less than Win, Fed, CCI, etc, but before purchasing a quantity would like to ask if anyone has used them & if so, what was the result?? Thanks for your responses.

OOPS! My bad..didn't wait long enough for post to show up.

Several of us got together and bought some MagTech primers thru Graf's earlier this year. Not knowing much about them, I elected not to buy the small pistol primers and went with the Winchesters. A friend bought the MagTech small pistol and has had some trouble with them in his SVI 40. As far as I know his gun runs the factory main spring and all but he has trouble with igniting the small pistol primers reliably. On the other hand, I did buy the MagTech large pistol and have had good luck with them in my stock Kimber. Supposedly the Winchester white box ammo is produced by MagTech and everyone I know that uses it has no troubles with them. Of course, YMMV....

I'll be more specific.

I recently bought quite a few Magtech primers from Graf & Sons.

I have shot about 2,500 of them.

I shoot a Glock. Most of my Glocks have some issue or another with the firing pin tip of the strikers being chipped. I use a regular power striker spring (not reduced).

In the past, I have only used Federal primers. Never an issue. Since switching to the Magtech primers, I get a light strike at nearly every local match or practice session. I have swapped out my strikers (granted, perhaps one sub-par striker for another) to see if that would fix the issue. It did not.

Magtech primers are harder to set off than Federals, in my opinion. (I have also shoot Winchester factory ammo without issue in my Glocks.)

I'll be shooting Federal primers in big matches. I'll use the Magtech primers for practice (how often does a shooter get to practice failure drills with a Glock anyway? ;) )

I probably wouldn't have even tried Magtech primers if Carnia hadn't mentioned them here in the past. I am glad she did. The price on them is great, and they ought to work well for a variety of people in many instances.

• 1 year later...