Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload to left hand

Dan Burwell

OK, so I had always done draws to weak hand by the wipe method, then I took a class with Manny Bragg and he suggested that I grab the gun by the bottom near the mag well, so after dry firing that way for a while now I am certainly getting better times and a more consistant grip.

So I was working on reloads to weak hand tonight, and trying to figure out if there may be any other ways to get the gun to my left hand that I have never thought to try. Right now I wipe it from right to left, but maybe 2/10 times I get a bad grip or what has happened in matches before I have a hard time getting my right hand off the gun (gets stuck on the grip tape)

So is the wipe the best way and I just need to work it some more, if so no problem I'll work it, but I was just wondering if anyone has any other methods that work well for them.

I know of no other way to get it there after a reload. But Manny is right about grabbing the gun by the bottom near the mag well during a weak hand only draw. That much I know, like, and already do.

But I still the do the wipe when reloading. Anybody else know of anything faster? Gamey-er? :huh:

If the grip tape is too tacky, causing you to blow 20% of your weak hand transfers, maybe you need to ditch the grip tape for a better solution ;) "Wipe" is the only method that I know of that works out - you could manufacture another, but it would take extra steps...

Which is one of the big reasons why I only do "Wipe" - I only have one move to practice, and I've gotten quick at it, so... ;)

(I really need to learn how to get pix up on line)

Something that works for me, and works better with grip tape because it is more secure, is to "open" my SH hold on the gun. The fingers still retain the gun, but roll the gun out and away from the thumb and the part of the palm below it. The strong hand thumb moves up and back. The gun will rotate, muzzle moving to the right for a right hander, backstrap rotating to the left. My hands are small enough that this gives me room to get web of my weak hand onto the back strap.

• 5 weeks later...
If the grip tape is too tacky, causing you to blow 20% of your weak hand transfers, maybe you need to ditch the grip tape for a better solution ;) "Wipe" is the only method that I know of that works out - you could manufacture another, but it would take extra steps...

Which is one of the big reasons why I only do "Wipe" - I only have one move to practice, and I've gotten quick at it, so... ;)

what is the wipe meathod

Its easier to demonstrate, but... I'll do my best...

The wipe method to transfer to weak hand is, basically:

- gun starts in strong hand in normal grip

- strong hand thumb moves from weak side of gun to strong side as weak hand approaches gun

- hands meet as if you were going to press your palms together with the thumb side up

- weak hand thumb slides under beavertail and bottom part of weak hand palm starts to meet up with the grip

- strong hand fingers let go of grip and straighten out as weak hand fingers start to wrap around the grip

- strong hand comes away as weak hand finishes establishing full grip

Basically, you're passing the gun from strong hand to weak hand in a fairly normal, natural fashion..??

Its easier to demonstrate, but... I'll do my best...

The wipe method to transfer to weak hand is, basically:

- gun starts in strong hand in normal grip

- strong hand thumb moves from weak side of gun to strong side as weak hand approaches gun

- hands meet as if you were going to press your palms together with the thumb side up

- weak hand thumb slides under beavertail and bottom part of weak hand palm starts to meet up with the grip

- strong hand fingers let go of grip and straighten out as weak hand fingers start to wrap around the grip

- strong hand comes away as weak hand finishes establishing full grip

Basically, you're passing the gun from strong hand to weak hand in a fairly normal, natural fashion..??

thanks

After the reload, I basically go to reform my natural grip but hand the gun off to my left hand, allowing my left trigger finger to find the trigger. No matter what technique you decide on, the only thing that is going to make it automatic and smooth is plenty of practice in both dryfire and lifefire. Once you make it automatic, there will be no thought involved...just doing.

Toss it into the air and catch it.

...I dare you...

There is a short time during my transfer to weak hand where the gun is in the air.

The best, most consistent, and safest way I've found to do it is to make a cage with your weak hand and flip the gun into it with your strong hand.

Obviously this is a technique that must be honed in dry fire first.