Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Back Into Working Out

Duane Thomas

A bit of background: about, oh, it must be nine years ago now, I was a serious work-out fanatic. I worked out pretty much every day, alternating light and heavy days. A "heavy day" was stretches, weight lifting and running, total time about three hours. A "light day" was the same as the heavy day but I cut out the weight lifting to give my muscles time to recover, overall work-out time dropped to two hours. Yes, I know I should have had a day off during the week but I didn't, I was just loving the work-outs. And I had a body that looked like a piece of Greek sculpture.

Then I blew out my knee. Running one night, I felt something rip in my knee. What happened next I have no excuse for. Well, actually, I do: I blame Jim Fixx. For those of you who don't recognize the name, Fixx wrote The Complete Book of Running which I read in my teens. One thing he said was, "If you injure yourself, sometimes it'll make you feel better to run on it." When I felt something tear in my knee I should have immediately stopped running, and given it a week or two off to heal up before I started again with the work-outs. Isn't hindsight wonderful? Instead, 1/2 mile into a 2 mile run when I was injured, I just kept running until I was done. And because my knee hurt the next day, I got out there and did it again. Understand, I'm making no case for this not being braindead behavior. By this time, of course, I've seriously damaged my knee.

Every time since then, over the years, I've tried to get back into working out, with or without running, I can feel my knee just come apart. The pain - which is low-level constant even without working out - is in the inboard side of the right knee, to the left side of the patella and deep down in the flesh. Even stretching out to begin a work-out without running hurts, then and later. I've been taking triple-strength Glucosamine Chondroitin twice a day for a few months, which has indeed helped the pain, some days better than others.

My question is, how to get back into working out without re-injuring my knee? Any exercises or program to repair the damage? I would assume my running days are over, which I hate, since I always found, in addition to the increased cardio-vascular endurance, it was absolutely wonderful for keeping the overall level of body fat burned down where I wanted it, i.e. minimal. I do have an exercise bike, though. Maybe that could be used instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm on the last hole of my black sharkskin Kramer dress gunbelt and don't want to be a MAFG.

I feel your pain.

First thing is first. Find a GOOD arthropedic surgeon and have him check you out. There's a good chance that what you tore can still be repaired. I'm not so sure if it is a ligament, have you had any problems with it giving out? There's a good chance it is your miniscus.

Anyway. Get it checked out, and then depending on what is wrong I might be able to offer a bit more advice...

1 thing though. Stay away from seated leg extensions and leg presses. Extensions put just about the most wear and tear on your knee that any work out can do. You want to stay away from anything where you are pushing with the front of your leg or your feet are raised in a pressing position.

Squats and deadlifts should give you all the workout you need for your quads.

Let me know what the Doc says. B)

And I had a body that looked like a piece of Greek sculpture.

No wonder most greek sculptures are missing the heads...they made them too big.

roflmao.giflaugh.gifwave2.gif

Seriously...

First thing...this may be obvious to you now, but I'll say it for everybody...you were over-training...which leads to injury.

Second...your knee is busted...better start researching some sports-medicine/orthopedic info and see about getting you wheels fixed. (Good start here.)

I haven't blown out a knee...so I won't offer up any advice.

Ditto what TIS said. Whenever you hurt somewhere you have to ask what lives in that area to hurt. The medial knee is a relatively complex region and the pain could be related to the patellofemoral joint, medial collateral ligament, medial meniscus, medial compartment osteoarthritis, tendinitis, pes anserine bursitis, etc.

If you haven't already (and I really must assume that you have, since your writing seems pretty intelligent), get in to see an Orthopedic Surgeon. Not an internist or a Family Practitioner, a board certified Orthopedic Surgeon. They will do an exam, check plain x-rays, listen to your history and have a good idea what's going on. Often, they will recommend an MRI to confirm the diagnosis.

Until you have made a diagnosis, you can't make recommendations as to treatment or return to sport. Many times return to sport involves sport specific physical therapy. Good luck.

duane,

I’m in the boat you are in. I had an injury playing soccer years ago. The main reason I started shoot ipsc by the way. I have a torn meniscus and missing my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). I had my knee scoped and the doc cleaned out the torn cartilage so it wouldn't move to a binding position causing real pain. I was back at work the next day. Back when I had my knee scoped, they didn't have the ACL fixes and cartilage transplants. I would definitely have it done now, if I were in your situation.

I use the Glucosamine Chondroitin twice a day, also. I go to the gym and work out on the Stair Master. This is low impact and works the legs hard. I do not run anymore, just the stair master. A friend of mine is having knee trouble now and the ortho doc will be giving him an MRI next month after area 2. The doc told my friend to do water aerobics and resistance training. My advise is to do some sort of exercise. I wasn't that big on exercising back when I first injured my knee, now my right leg is smaller than my left (atrophied).

good luck

lynn

ps that fixx guy died of a heart attack right?

Two words: Swim Fins

Seriously. I'm a chronic ankle sprainer. A couple times I've done it so bad that I could hardly walk, much less run. After couple months of lap swimming and weights, I was amazed at how good it felt to hit the pavement again. Obviously, you'll be swimming a bit longer than that.

The way to do it is to find a place that has a triathlon training program. Even if you know how to swim, you'll want to take a class to learn to do it the Tri way. Hopefully, you'll find people that are your pace that will push you without drowning you.

Oh, and buy the short swim fins. They force you to work your legs more and will help flex your knees.

FWIW...

If you have fins, aren't you supposed to swim without bending your knees?

Not 90 degrees bent. 5-10 degrees maybe. What I'm talking about are not normal, huge scuba fins.

webredzm.JPG

Mine are called "Zoomers" You'd have to use them to know what I mean. In order to maximize the fins, you knees bend a little, not a lot. Kind of nice when your knees hurt and you need to flex them, but the treadmill or stairclimber would do you in.

Anyway...it was just an idea.

Two words: Swim Fins

Six words: I don't know how to swim.

Well daddio, here's your big chance...

In case you need a little incentive: Envision a pool full of wet, ripped triathelete chicks in wonderfully flattering tank-suits (my personal favorite). Wetsuit day is also a major treat. And, no, I'm not even remotely exaggerating, it's that good.

Duane, have you ever tried a Nordic Track ski machine? I have advanced "motocross knees" that pop so loud they frighten moose in the woods. The NT has no impact, but the knees have to flex a bit. Maybe it would help you.

BTW, JD is an orthopedic surgeon. He fixes rodeo cowboys, bikers, and all manner of oil field mutilations. Now, do like he said and go see a real bonedaddy. :P You got nothing to lose but your pain.

Not to brag, but I've been told that I have the body of a Greek philosopher.

Hmmm, maybe she said "Geek philosopher".

Duane,

Talked to my brother, who's a kinesiologist/sports nutritionist/physical therapist (sucks when your little brother makes more money).

Anywho, he helped with my rehab when I did a simultaneous 3rd degree strain of my MCL and ACL. Fortunately, I was playing tennis for my university (Div. 1) so I had access to tons of killer medical equipment and rehabilitation. However, I finally used them after re-injuring it four more times. Pretty typical athlete response of shake off and it'll go away. Or, take some motrin and when the swelling goes down it's fine.

My advice (and confirmed it with the Doc Squirt), go see a doctor first. Have the full barrage of work done (i.e. MRI, x-rays, push/pull on the knee, etc.). After it is diagnosed whether it's a strain or tear, go from there to a physical therapist and get it taken care of.

Basic exercises to start will leg raises will lying on your back, on your side, etc. Get real familiar with the stationary bike (or elliptical trainer), to work on dexterity and joint strengthening. Long and slow duration on training, nothing heavy.

Then graduate to treadmill, light weight training, using your "good" leg as a baseline for where performance will be.

The good news, is that they can rebuild. They have the technology. The bad news is that it will take a little time, and here's the hard part, PATIENCE on your part to not push too hard. Athelete-minded people are the worst when it comes to injuries. Slow progression is better than back sliding.

Feel free to drop an e-mail for more info.

Rich

• 4 years later...

I agree with Rich on seeing your physician. Thats the best approach. Ahhh so good ole' Jim Fixx was your role model. All that running and the man drops dead due to heart failure. That shows that you sometimes can't see your genetic weaknesses until its too late. I suggest that you treat the injury and don't worry right now about jumping back into any routine.

You don't want to potentially re injure your knee and be off for a longer period. Go get an MRI and take care of that knee. Maintain the gains you have made through diet.

I hope you get better soon!

• 4 months later...
Thats the best approach. Ahhh so good ole' Jim Fixx was your role model. All that running and the man drops dead due to heart failure. That shows that you sometimes can't see your genetic weaknesses until its too late.

Actually, Fixx got into running to start with after his first heart attack. He was grossly obese, and it was basically Lose Weight Or Die. It worked - for awhile, anyway. Not to sound mean-spirited, I hope, but I find it wonderfully ironic that the author of The Complete Book of Running dropped dead....while running. :roflol:

• 4 months later...

I myself am going through starting over after knee surgery in June and then a motorcycle accident in July.(just as I was about to start physical therapy and was feeling great)

7 more words: Slow and steady with patience and humility!

Stay focused and good luck. As you know, its amazing how fast we lose muscle and how slow it is to return.

• 4 weeks later...