Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong hand / Weak hand

I was reading the stage layout and had some questions

"Stage Procedure: Upon start signal:

String 1 – engage each target with one round, make a mandatory reload and re-engage each target with one round strong hand only.

String 2 – engage each target with one round weak hand only."

I'm assuming that by strong hand only and weak hand only they mean no two handed grip, correct? I've never shot a stage quite like this before. So what's the best way to make the transition?

The name of the stage is Men in Black.

There's basically 2 ways to transfer the gun from the draw, to your weak hand.

1. "The Wipe" which employs a standard draw with the SH, bringing your WH up to the gun as you normally would to make your regular two-handed grip, then pass the gun off the the WH only, using a wiping motion. It's very smooth when done right, and also a very safe method.

2. The other way involves grabbing the butt of the gun, and drawing the gun out of the holster with only enough grip on the gun to NOT DROP IT. Then bring the gun up to meet your WH, which grabs the gun in a standard grip presentation. This method is a little less safe, but is also a little faster.

Practice that transfer at home with the gun empty. Be very conscious of keeping your left trigger finger well outside of the trigger guard. I scared myself dry-firing the other morning when I transferred from SH to WH and my left trigger finger went straight to the trigger. I now spend more time practicing that to make the transfer safely.

Two other ways that Keen didn't mention....

3. Grab the top of the slide or the scope with the strong hand, and bring the gun up so it can be gripped WHO.

4. Draw the gun w/ the strong hand similar to how you'd "snatch" draw (that is, just using the fingers of the strong hand, without wrapping the thumb around the grip), and then pass the gun off in similar fashion to number 1. The difference is that you don't have to get the strong hand thumb back out of the way.

I do number 1 every time, for various reasons - primarily because its the safest and most reliable, but also because this is the exact same transfer you'd use if the string was "two each freestyle, reload, two each weak hand only", and I'd prefer to spend time practicing only one type of weak hand transfer ;)

This method is a little less safe, but is also a little faster.

BTW - I forgot to comment on this. For me, this way is, on average, slower than #1. Its occasionally faster, but I find it results in a bad grip (and thus difficulty locating the dot) with greater frequency than #1. #1 is therefore, on average, faster for me than #2. The lesson here is that you should run them all on the timer after you get familiar with them, and see which one averages out best :)

I think a lot of how to extract the gun from the holster depends on the holster. When I am using my SpeedSec revolver holster if the gun does not come straight up, I get a crotchie. So the weak hand swap is, draw the gun normally then slide the thumb around the back strap and allow the fingers and palm to grasp the cylinder and get a good weak hand grip. I think the same woold work for a bottom feeder in a race style holster by substituing letting the finger guard rest in the palm and grip the slide with fingers and thumb. Shooting single stack and production then #2 might work as the butt sticks out enough to use a plucking motion though I would rather only practice one method of grasping the gun to get it out of the holster. I'll never get to the level where 2-5 tenths of a second on a draw is going to change my overall placement.

4. Draw the gun w/ the strong hand similar to how you'd "snatch" draw (that is, just using the fingers of the strong hand, without wrapping the thumb around the grip), and then pass the gun off in similar fashion to number 1. The difference is that you don't have to get the strong hand thumb back out of the way.

And I thought I was the only one that did that....

• 3 weeks later...

One thing Chris didn`t mention is the while the "grab the butt" is faster, you gotta have an amby safety cause you can`t get it off with your strong hand thumb since it`s now low on the grip

Edited by Dave S

• 6 months later...

i used to do the 'wips' pass from strong to weak, and am now kinda leaning twards another method i found, where you draw like 'normal' but with only 2 fingers and the thumbs twards the bottom ofthe grip, then come overthe top of your stronghand w/ your weakhand, releasingthe stronghand once yourweackhand has ahold ofthe gun and offyou go, its not as natural as a normal grip is the whole fly inthe ointment, butfor me its wroked outthe few times we have had to employ it

• 11 months later...

main thing you HAVE TO REMEMBER is keep that finger out of the trigger guard. You will still draw from your holster with your strong hand, hand the gun over to your weak hand, and assume fire. Just again- keep your finger away from the trigger. I have seen so many people get dq'ed b/c of this.