Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge Lifespan

Merlin Orr

I did try to do a search on this subject - however I just found a thread on the exact same thing bout 15 pages back in this same area posted by Dowter. My questions are answered. I was worried about a gun having 10k rounds through it. It appears my fears are groundless.... :D

the 2011 frame holds up well(Edge in general) in a limited gun. I have seen several crack in open guns. With major loads you will get thousands and thousands of rounds with no problems. If it is still tight and functions, I wouldn't be worried about buying a used Edge. TXAG B)

I think if you do a search, you will find a thread on Accurails. There were both sides of the conversation expressed, some like it and think it is the best thing since sliced bread, and some think that if the pistol was put together correctly, you don't need it. Toss up.

Kool - thanks for the replys - I guess the best thing to do is wait untill the gun is in my hands before I try to make a call on what next.. :) I found and read the thread and it is AS CLEAR AS MUD now. :D However, it has been My experience that if it can be Ucked Fup, I am THE Man to do it. Kiss probably shall apply here.

The biggest difference is that on an open gun the sight is frame mounted vs a limited gun where the sight is mounted on the slide. Thus a loose slide to frame on an open gun is more likely to effect accuracy. I have used rails for 5 years, never broke, and the guns broke in to be a slick as anything. Several other guys in this area got their guns railed and their guns are also very tight but super slick.

Can somebody link to the acc-u-rail thread? I didn't find it with a quick search...and i don't have tme to dig for it now (gotta run to the post-office). It would be nice to keep the acc-u-rail discussion in it's seperate thread...so it can be found with future searches (i'll change the title of the thread if needed)

MerlinD this is another NO vote on rails.

A yes vote on the edge, mine 2 years old and 20k rounds or more still like new.

A yes to hard chrome make that a double yes!

The only problem I see with an edge at 10k is posibly extractor and that is no big deal. Aftec will fix that .

;) Good luck blue edge ;)

dunno about the rails......I have a limited SV built by Noel Alfaro and it runs like a champ and after 5 years and 15 to 20 k rounds later it still runs. The only items replaced has been an extractor, recoil spring and a firing pin. It is still accurate without the accu-rails.

• 1 month later...

I've put 11,500 rounds thru my STI Edge in .45ACP. I shoot 200gr Semiwadcutters from LaserCast over 5.6gr of WW231. 3 Failures: (1) Original tungsten guide rod broke at 8K rounds (replaced it with a Wilson version that I turned down to fit), (2) Ejector came loose at 10K rounds, noticed erratic ejection, replaced with a new STI unit from my spare bag, and (3) the hinge pin of the stock STI adjustable rear sight breaks every 4K rounds or so.

The gun feeds like a dream, and is still accurate. My favorite pistol. :D

Hey Lliden! I thought I was the only other guy who shot a .45 Edge! 15,000 rounds of major reloads before I sold it & it was not worn at all. Here is a tip on the ejector (since mine loosened too) Take out the pin & just let it sit there. Yep - when you take off the slide & turn it over, the ejector will fall out. Does not matter. The ejector does not have to be pinned. As for wear & tear, I went through 2 leaf springs (following problems) and an ejector that broke (original, ser. numbered to the gun). It was never 100% reliable (what gun is?) but malfunctions were fairly rare. Its still out there & BTW, I bought it used with who knows? how many rounds on it (several thousand anyway).