Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16 2/3 barrel blanc which length gas system

david.bergen

I have a stainless 1-8 Lothar Walther blanc that I want to turn in an upper for IPSC shooting. (max range is 200 m)

Of course I am looking for the less possible recoil. (Brakes available in Europe are Miculeck,JP tank,Jp Cooley, and even a few Rolling thunders)

From reading and searching on this forum I know that the rifle system is the way to go, but isn't the barrel to short for this? (after threading and turning the finished length will be 16 inch)

I was thinking that maybe when starting with a gas port on the large side and then using a adjustable gas bloc one could make it work.

The lightest bolt carrier I have found over here is one from a Colt rifle (semi circel rear end) If needed I can still lighten it by machining.

I want to go with an adjustable carbine stock so my girl friend can use the same rifle.

Hope you guys can give me some suggestion on what works really well.

David

I would lean torward a midlength gas port position myself for that length barrel.

Most folks don't seem to want to go lower than 17 or 18" with a rifle length gas port position.

Not to say that a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system can't be made to work (I have seen some that do) just that it might require some tinkering with the port diameter and would probably be less tolerant of lightly loaded ammunition.

I believe that the general rule of thumb is that you need 4ish inches of distance between the gas port and the muzzle to get the correct timing/dwell.

Edited by caspian guy

I'm with Peter on this one. I'd run the midlength port.

I've seen some 16" rifle length ports,but very few that work reliably. I am certain the midlength will still give a smooth enough impulse and be totally reliable in that configuration.

I run a 17" rifle length and have had no issues with it.

And then....there is also the intermediate port position that Noveske started. I don't know a whole lot about it but its longer than midlength and shorter than rifle.

Could be a viable compromise and worth more investigation.

I'm with Peter on this one. I'd run the midlength port.

I've seen some 16" rifle length ports,but very few that work reliably. I am certain the midlength will still give a smooth enough impulse and be totally reliable in that configuration.

I run a 17" rifle length and have had no issues with it.

And then....there is also the intermediate port position that Noveske started. I don't know a whole lot about it but its longer than midlength and shorter than rifle.

Could be a viable compromise and worth more investigation.

That sounds interesting. I'll check out the noveske site.

If anybody has some info on the intermediate position (gas port size, gasbloc position, etc....)

Please contact me.

OObullit thank you for the tip !

This I have found n another forum

Is this valid info?

So I've been doing some research on the AR-15 Intermediate Gas system for 18" 5.56 barrels. I've been doing some in that length with rifle length gas systems but really like the idea of a gas system that ends up between a mid-length and rifle length in order to increase the dwell time.

So do any of you all have any experience with this system?

I have the port location at 11" and .086. Any of you all know where to get gas tubes

David

David,

I looked quickly and couldn't find any of those gas tubes avaliable.

If it were me I would try contacting either.

MSTN (mstn.biz)or

Noveske(www.noveskerifleworks.com)

I didn't check but some one on ar15.com might know where to find one.

David,

I looked quickly and couldn't find any of those gas tubes avaliable.

If it were me I would try contacting either.

MSTN (mstn.biz)or

Noveske(www.noveskerifleworks.com)

I didn't check but some one on ar15.com might know where to find one.

VLTOR came up with the intermediate length gas system designed for 18" barrels. I'd give them a call.

I have a stainless 1-8 Lothar Walther blanc that I want to turn in an upper for IPSC shooting. (max range is 200 m)

Of course I am looking for the less possible recoil. (Brakes available in Europe are Miculeck,JP tank,Jp Cooley, and even a few Rolling thunders)

From reading and searching on this forum I know that the rifle system is the way to go, but isn't the barrel to short for this? (after threading and turning the finished length will be 16 inch)

I was thinking that maybe when starting with a gas port on the large side and then using a adjustable gas bloc one could make it work.

The lightest bolt carrier I have found over here is one from a Colt rifle (semi circel rear end) If needed I can still lighten it by machining.

I want to go with an adjustable carbine stock so my girl friend can use the same rifle.

David

If the "finished" length is 16 inches including the comp/brake, then you are talking about a barrel less than 16 inches. Or you are talking about a 16 inch barrel plus the comp/brake? Either way it does not matter. If you are going to run a 16 inch barrel or less, you should go with a carbine length gas system.

As far as port diameter, start with a small port (about 0.060-0.065 inches) and increase in ~0.002 inch step if necessary... until the rifle cycles reliably. Adjustable gas blocks are just one more thing that can go wrong/bag during a match.

320pf

Edited by 320pf

This I have found n another forum

Is this valid info?

So I've been doing some research on the AR-15 Intermediate Gas system for 18" 5.56 barrels. I've been doing some in that length with rifle length gas systems but really like the idea of a gas system that ends up between a mid-length and rifle length in order to increase the dwell time.

So do any of you all have any experience with this system?

I have the port location at 11" and .086. Any of you all know where to get gas tubes

David

Yes, I can, I run a Noveske 17" with intermediate gas system and switchblock.

I believe Noveske will sell the intermediate length gas tubes, ADCO Firearms had them for sale last I knew too.

If you are able to do so, call Noveske, ask to speak with Todd and he can fill you in on the finer points of why you might consider this length. But due to the time zones I know this might be a problem.

After speaking with Noveske about it and have decided to try it for the next year.

I will report back and update this thread as well as start another on my thoughts throughout the fall.

Edited by cold

David,

For the past 6 years I have been using two different 16 inch barreled guns for 3 gun matches. No problems at all!

One is light; the other is heavy. Both gas ports are .100,3 inches from the end of the barrel.The hole location will

be determined by how far the rifle length gas tube goes into your receiver with the carrier installed. Make sure it

does not bottom out in the carrier key or your bolt and carrier will not close.

Every thing else in both guns is stock except for a light buffer, carbine buffer spring, and a rolling thunder comp.

Both guns will run light or heavy ammo.

Everyone comments on how soft both guns shoot!

Do it, you will be happy!

David

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

I am going to try the rifle length system. If nothing goes wrong with chambering etc I will have more then 3 inch after the

gas port. Theoretically it should work.

I'l keep everybody informed.

Anybody having a secondhand or new SJC Titan comp (blued model) for sale?

I'll pay the new price if you ship to Belgium !

Best,

David

David,

For the past 6 years I have been using two different 16 inch barreled guns for 3 gun matches. No problems at all!

One is light; the other is heavy. Both gas ports are .100,3 inches from the end of the barrel.The hole location will

be determined by how far the rifle length gas tube goes into your receiver with the carrier installed. Make sure it

Every thing else in both guns is stock except for a light buffer, carbine buffer spring, and a rolling thunder comp.

David

Have you ever fired that with out the comp attached? I just wondering if it made any difference in cycling.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

I am going to try the rifle length system. If nothing goes wrong with chambering etc I will have more then 3 inch after the

gas port. Theoretically it should work.

I'l keep everybody informed.

Anybody having a secondhand or new SJC Titan comp (blued model) for sale?

I'll pay the new price if you ship to Belgium !

Best,

David

I'm pretty sure CPWSA will ship overseas and he has them in stock.

David,

David

Have you ever fired that with out the comp attached? I just wondering if it made any difference in cycling.

Yes I have, no problems!

Yes I have, no problems!

Well isn't that wild. Just goes to show ya, test before believing everything you read. Guess I'm gonna have to play around with that a bit. Thanks!

Now....here is an interesting tidbit that came up at the RM3g on stage 1. I run an 18" barrel with a rifle gas system, my co-worker runs an 18" with a midlength gas system.....we both use a rifle length FFT. We both fired about the same number of rounds.....and had roughly the same time. My FFT was warm to the touch....his was so hot, you could not touch the front end. I suspect that this was due to the fact that his gas glock was so close to the FFT in that region. Something to think about, if you are going to run a FFT over your gas block.

Carbine gas system works great with 16" and under (maybe not so good under 11")

Midlength gas system works great from 16" to 18" (yes, and 20" too)

Rifle gas system works great with 18" and over (starts to loose it at 17", but can work too)

Now that being said, yes, I've seen and know of people that run rifle length gas systems on 16" rifles....and they work great, but, they don't always work with all loadings. The above info pretty much will allow you to use any commercial load and know that it will (should) function very well.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are going to run a rifle length tube on a 17" or 18" rifle......consider a rifle length gas system with an 18" barrel.....then go with the shortest comp you can find. (no shameless plug intended here).

Tim