Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

discrepancy between finals all divisions and finals by divisions

Browndawg

Been doing the stats for our small USPSA club for a few years now and have always sent out the match results as finals all divisions. This month however I also showed the finals by division and noticed that they are not the same. In finals all divisons limited shooter- #1-165.4355 match pts. 56.026%

#2-164.1096 match pts. 55.577%

However in finals by division shooter- #2 shows 230.6006 match pts. 71.301%

#1 shows 227.7707 match pts. 70.426%

why is this so and who won? I am using EZWinscore 3.06.

thanks mike

Final All is percentage of highest hit factor for any division to calculate percentage/stage points, while By Division is established by HHF within division. Your shooter may be in Production as percentage of Open shooter in overall, but different result when compared only to top Production shooter in By Division result, for example.

Your match score is based on the total of your stage points. The stage points will be the same in division and in overall only if the same person won all the stages in your division and overall. This is commonly referred to as a "Flip Flop".

Later,

Chuck

PS: When I asked USPSA why they did not post overall scores on the Local/Major score page, I was told that they do not post the overall scores because didn't want to have to explain this repeatedly <_<

ETA: Example Flip Flop flipflopexample.pdf

Edited by ChuckS

Wow you guys are fast. Thanks alot. This would have been a total nonissue except a local bullet caster offered a small prize to the winner of the open and limited divisions and guess who I have to sell this too? Yep the 2 guys in limited class who are competitive rivals.

thanks mike

Rule book:

6.2.1 USPSA Divisions recognize different handguns and equipment (see

Appendix D). Each match must recognize at least one Division. When

multiple Divisions are available in a match, each Division must be

scored separately and independently, and match results must recognize

a winner in each Division.

Your match score is based on the total of your stage points. The stage points will be the same in division and in overall only if the same person won all the stages in your division and overall. This is commonly referred to as a "Flip Flop".

PS: When I asked USPSA why they did not post overall scores on the Local/Major score page, I was told that they do not post the overall scores because didn't want to have to explain this repeatedly <_<

Wow. Been a long time since I put together that example, I'd forgotten about it. People at USPSA have stated before they would actually get rid of combined results entirely if they could, but they know we'd all march on Sedro Woolley with torches and pitchforks!

Edited by wgnoyes

Wow. Been a long time since I put together that example, I'd forgotten about it. People at USPSA have stated before they would actually get rid of combined results entirely if they could, but they know we'd all march on Sedro Woolley with torches and pitchforks!

If I didn't send out combined results, I'd have people marching on ME with torches and pitchforks!

Yes, folks want to see how they stacked up against all divisions. But it can screw you up. A number of years ago, I won a state championship in revolver in the overall to find that I was actually second when they got around to scoring by division. Quite a letdown. Fortunately, it was a real close friend that won first so I didn't feel too badly about it.

dj

Bigger matches --- by division works best. Smaller matches --- we determine prizes by division. We also publish overall results for all matches so the lone guy shooting revolver or SS can see where he placed, other than winning his division....

Yes, folks want to see how they stacked up against all divisions. But it can screw you up. A number of years ago, I won a state championship in revolver in the overall to find that I was actually second when they got around to scoring by division.

That sounds like it was the fault of the match. They shouldn't have been posting anything at the range for the 1hr bitch & gripe except combined stage results. NO overall finish listings get published until after then.