Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying Glock grip

ER_STL

Has anyone here ever added to the sides of the Glock frame to make it more rounded? I'm finding that the 1911 style pistol really fits my hands well and it's in a large part due to the rounded grip panels. The flat sided Glocks just don't fit me well.

I saw a picture of a Glock on glocktalk with what looked like CZ grips added to the side...was wondering if anyone here had done anything like that.

Adding panals would be a lot of work I think just to round the grip and also add a bunch of girth that you might not want. The stock grip is already pretty good size I think and adding the material will make it more pronounced. The angle on the Glock makes it hard to compare to a 1911, even if you use an arched mainspring housing.

However nothing is impossible.

unless you really have ham fists, what you want is a rounding off of the corners to make it feel 1911 like, not building it up.

You also might find that an undercut trigger guard and removal of the finger grooves will make a good bit of difference in the feel.

How does the 2nd gen frames feel to you, compared to the finger grooved 3rds?

It's not necessarily the finger grooves or girth of the Glock that bother me. Rather, the flat side panels are the problem and I don't seem to have the hands to get any support hand meat back behind the gun. On a 1911 or CZ with their round grips I can get plenty of support hand back behind the gun.

Mike - I actually thought about emailing you prior to starting this thread to see if you had done anything like this.

You might experiment with a roll of Power-flex grip tape. It is a sports wrap that only sticks to itself. It is kinda rubbery, mesh, and stretchy.

You might put a few wraps around the gun, then build up an area, then a few more whole wraps.

It compresses a bit too, with use.

It's not necessarily the finger grooves or girth of the Glock that bother me. Rather, the flat side panels are the problem and I don't seem to have the hands to get any support hand meat back behind the gun. On a 1911 or CZ with their round grips I can get plenty of support hand back behind the gun.

Mike - I actually thought about emailing you prior to starting this thread to see if you had done anything like this.

hmmm,

Im guessing youre talking about a glock 40, right?

Are you running grip tape on the sides and back? that or stippling will obviously help with recoil.

You definitely need to throw those thumbs forward and flag the strong hand thumb to make room for the palm of your support hand.

It kind of like the large grip insert palmswell for M&P's ; I hate how they feel, but I shoot them the best because of that area for the support hand.

Does your glock need to be production legal?

ps- you can always wait for the new glocks with theswappable inserts that are supposedly on the horizon.

Have you tried the Hogue Hand All? It has a raised area on each side that rounds out the side of the grip. Might be worth trying for $8.

Yes - it works very well and the added girth really helps me clamp my support hand down. It has two unfortunate drawbacks though. First, the finger-groves are very pronounced since they go over the existing ones. Second, the reduced space where my strong hand driving finger goes means nasty Glock knuckle.

It kind of like the large grip insert palmswell for M&P's ; I hate how they feel, but I shoot them the best because of that area for the support hand.

Does your glock need to be production legal?

ps- you can always wait for the new glocks with theswappable inserts that are supposedly on the horizon.

Nope - the gun isn't used for competition.

Since I've never felt a Glock that has had a grip reduction done I'm not likely to send mine off for one. All I can say is that I've recently discovered that the rounder shape of the CZ and 1911 seems to fit my hands better than the Glock. In fact, both the CZ-75 and Kimber Pro CDP II seem to be ideal fits. Both are a bit heavy/large for carry though. :mellow:

I am eager to see what the next generation of Glocks will look like. I hope - like the P30 - they offer a grip that can be adjusted for both length and width...that would be ideal for me.

You might experiment with a roll of Power-flex grip tape. It is a sports wrap that only sticks to itself. It is kinda rubbery, mesh, and stretchy.

You might put a few wraps around the gun, then build up an area, then a few more whole wraps.

It compresses a bit too, with use.

This is a great idea and I think I'll give it a try when I can get around to it.

Have you tried the Hogue Hand All? It has a raised area on each side that rounds out the side of the grip. Might be worth trying for $8.

Yes - it works very well and the added girth really helps me clamp my support hand down. It has two unfortunate drawbacks though. First, the finger-groves are very pronounced since they go over the existing ones. Second, the reduced space where my strong hand driving finger goes means nasty Glock knuckle.

Same issues for me when I installed the Hand All. I solved them by removing the stock finger grooves (file and sand paper) and rounding over the area where the knuckle hits the trigger guard (Foredom).

If you're not totally set on a Glock, have you considered an M&P? To me, they feel a lot like a 1911 and they index just like one for me as well. I can go from a 1911 to an M&P and not have to think about it at all. When I go from a 1911 to a Glock I really feel the difference and have to put effort into it to shoot well...if that makes sense. The M&P Compact is a really nice carry size that's about halfway between the Glock 19 and 26 sizes. It'd be a bit big for an ankle rig, but still doable for most folks. R,

Eric - very cool modifications to the grip of your gun. :cheers: How did you do that?

If you're not totally set on a Glock, have you considered an M&P? To me, they feel a lot like a 1911 and they index just like one for me as well. I can go from a 1911 to an M&P and not have to think about it at all. When I go from a 1911 to a Glock I really feel the difference and have to put effort into it to shoot well...if that makes sense. The M&P Compact is a really nice carry size that's about halfway between the Glock 19 and 26 sizes. It'd be a bit big for an ankle rig, but still doable for most folks. R,

Yup - I have an M&P9 as well and I don't have the same problem with the grip as I do with the Glock. The only problem with the M&P though is that is a bit too big for carry. While I can make it work I much prefer the overall size of the Glock 19, which for me is perfect. I've shot an M&P9c and felt that it was a little too short in the grip - even with the pinky extension. I may need to head back down to the range again and see if my perceptions are different a second time through.

For me, a G19-sized M&P9 would be ideal. The M&P45c is the right size but I haven't shot one yet to see how manageable the recoil is.

Edited by ER_STL

If you put the M&PC next to the 19 you'll find the 19 is a touch bigger in every dimension. I carry a G23 more than anything else and I'm not a big guy so I know what you mean about size issues. The M&PC would be a decent compromise for me if I had to pick one size. R,

Those were old grips sitting in a junk drawer, maybe off a Delta Elite, maybe a SW745, can't remember. They were the 2nd or 3rd generation of built-up grips from off the sides of my Caspian Hicap.

Put them up against the open glock and reshaped them as needed on my father-in-law's grinding wheel. Glued on with 2-part epoxy.

If you use epoxy, make sure it's fairly new and has a long [not short] set-up time. Old glue and fast-acting glues both end up way too brittle.

"Has anyone here ever added to the sides of the Glock frame to make it more rounded?... The flat sided Glocks just don't fit me well.

I saw a picture of a Glock on glocktalk with what looked like CZ grips added to the side...was wondering if anyone here had done anything like that."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Only FWIW: The fellow that makes "Carbon Creations" grips used to make thin CF panels for Glocks having subdued thumb-rests on them. They only followed the OEM texturing of the flat on the side of the grip.

His instructions only called for two drops of "Crazy Glue" to hold them on but probably was done so they also could be removed fairly easily?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Buy grip tape from Lowes, and diy.

A better option is to buy TruGrip from the vendors here first to add a foundation to your modifications first. That way it is reversible.

Buy grip tape from Lowes, and diy.

A better option is to buy TruGrip from the vendors here first to add a foundation to your modifications first. That way it is reversible.

This all sounds good but it does a couple things you don't really want. first it adds girth to the grip, and second all tapes can slide and shift in hot weather and with use over time. Just a thought.