Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub 1.2 Double trouble

Allright...

Probably around ‘83ish, Rob and I decided to drive to LA to rub shoulders with the big boys and shoot a local SWPL match, which consisted of two Steel Challenge stages only - Double Trouble and 5 to Go. I'd become somewhat fascinated with Double Trouble the year before, when we watched Chip McCormick run a 1.18 average on the stage in the match. At the time I just couldn't comprehend that kind of speed. I could shoot pretty good, finishing 5th and 7th in the match overall previously, but I don't think I could hit the first target in 1.18 if my life depended on it. So, I went home from the '82 match determined to learn how to draw.

But before I left, I remember asking John Shaw about my draw speed. I can still hear his response - "Boy, you can shute pretty fast once get rolling, but I've hit my first three targets before you hit your first one." That was the inspiration I needed. I studied Chip's draw with a renewed enthusiasm, went home and began fine-tuning my technique. So when we learned of the opportunity to test our skills in a real live SWPL match, Rob and I headed to LA, completely innocent of the glory awaiting us. We ended winning both stages - I won DT with a 1.13 average, (new record at the time), and he won 5 to Go, setting a new record as well (although I can't remember the time). We jabbered non-stop for the entire drive back to Phoenix...

The cool lesson I learned was due to the SWPL's practice/match range layout. You could actually practice each stage on bays right next to where you shot the match for score! We couldn't believe it. It seemed sacrilegious to everything the sport was about. We talked about it for awhile, and decided what the hell, we might as well do it too because everyone else was. It turned out to be a cool learning experience. As I was practicing DT, I remember realizing a critical difference between practice and match runs. It was the first time it really sunk in - in practice you look at your time every single run, whereas in the match you don't look at your times at all till you're done. (Although you could if you wanted to.) I wondered - how should that difference change the way I practiced? So I asked not to be told the times while practicing till I was done with my 5 runs. Then I realized – not being concerned with the times opened up an "extra percentage (amount) of attention." So I used that extra attention to focus exactly on how it felt to shoot each string. I did that for quite awhile because it took some time to become confident that the actual times I was shooting and how it felt to shoot them had absolutely no relationship to each other whatsoever. In that way I quickly learned that I could shoot faster by not trying to go fast. I was shooting 1.15’s consistently, which I’d never done before. Of course now the big pressure came – could I do that in the match? Which, fortunately, was not only about 20 steps away, but I could pretty much walk down and shoot it any time I wanted, even right after some strings on the practice range. So I had a stern talking to myself, and said, hey fool – what did you just learn? Completely forget about time, and stay determined to be totally focused on the feeling I knew I needed to feel that allowed me to see what I needed to see to shoot the times/runs I was shooting in practice. I managed to pull it off, and ended up with an average I’d have never thought possible for me at that time. It was a huge lesson for me – forget the concept of time and focus totally on what I know I need to see and feel for maximum efficiency.

Rob and I discussed this later, and wondered why we were able to capitalize on these circumstances, but locals seemed to be able to. We decided it was because it was a totally new experience for us, while on the other hand, they were used to it. In later years, remembering that lesson along with the feeling associated with it, always helped me.

be

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

fast shooting guys, i need to try and see what i can do, doubt i can manage a 1.2 sec run but with practice i bet i can chop it down in about 1.7 or so... well see

damn thats fast.

Oh...I managed a 1.15 at the last match. Tied up.

If Steve puts it all together at once (draw, split, transition), I think he has a 1.05 dieing to come out.

I've never tried this in practice...without the match tension. Might be something to examine.

• 4 months later...

I had forgotten this thread was here. Now I know where I got the idea to put the plate on top of the steel challenge rectangle. My goodness, when flex started this thread my par time draw was 1.5 seconds. The run in the video was the first run, cold (and it was cold at 28 degrees and the oh the ripping wind) no warm up, not even a sight picture. I wanted to see what I could do from the get go. The video is a 1.04 draw, .15 split, and .18 transition for 1.37 seconds. My best effort was my third run with a .87 draw, .13 split, and a .17 transition to the top plate for 1.17 seconds.

The feeble effort to holster the gun is a good example of what happens when consious thought interrupts an action in progress. I was going to reload, but decided to holster at the last minute. Anyhow, that's my story and I am sticking with it.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:) I think the high score will have to go to Todd here at arnold. Shot a .89 DT. That was fast! I turned around to see who was shooting and it was done. Lots of jaws fell off here. Way to go Todd!